Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 599, 600, 601 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

You guys should be posting on the thread titled with "What did you do WITH your bus today?":
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=314381
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Put these in the tail lights on my bus and love them. They function perfectly and are much, much brighter than "normal" bulbs. I'll be way more comfortable driving with the knowledge that my brake and turn signal lights are on par with modern vehicles. (If I still get hit it's because nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently talented idiot.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are those bulbs direct replacements or do you have to wire something up custom or separate from the original wiring?
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Gave the ol' girl front disc brakes. I don't mind drums but the downhill stops love the DB's - a world of difference.

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I took my starter out and then used a tap with a T handle and screwed it into the brass bushing until it started turning inside the bore, then I just pulled and it came out! I never did that before, pretty easy to do and the hole was egged out so it needed a new one. Now I need a new one of these 6 volt transmission to 12 volt starter bushings though, I have the wrong one to replace it. And I don't know how to press in a new one. What works best?

I also put on these new to me og paint light grey hub caps! I was running around with dove grey ones until I finally got a complete set of these in good shape. I have 2 more I collected but they are ratty so these 4 are the ones!

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I cut a piece from the roof. Very Happy

Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
I took my starter out and then used a tap with a T handle and screwed it into the brass bushing until it started turning inside the bore, then I just pulled and it came out! I never did that before, pretty easy to do and the hole was egged out so it needed a new one. Now I need a new one of these 6 volt transmission to 12 volt starter bushings though, I have the wrong one to replace it. And I don't know how to press in a new one. What works best?

What works best is a self-supporting starter from an automatic transmission Air-cooled VW. It doesn't use a bushing. If you buy it from the large nation-wide auto parts chains like O'Reilly's or Autozone, it may come with a lifetime warrantee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Well I called Bob at Arizona Transaxle Exchange and he sent me a new proper bushing. He used a caliper and said to only ever buy the bushings that are .650 in outside diameter. It fit perfectly and only needed a small amount of tapping to get it flush with the case. He told me that if I use a good high temp grease on it and the starter end, it will last for many years and no need to buy a auto starter. Cool I do have an auto starter here so maybe I will carry it with me as a spare just in case.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Well I called Bob at Arizona Transaxle Exchange and he sent me a new proper bushing. He used a caliper and said to only ever buy the bushings that are .650 in outside diameter. It fit perfectly and only needed a small amount of tapping to get it flush with the case. He told me that if I use a good high temp grease on it and the starter end, it will last for many years and no need to buy a auto starter. Cool I do have an auto starter here so maybe I will carry it with me as a spare just in case.

^^ All of that is good advice. As long as the new bushing fits snug in the tranny case, you should be fine. But once that thing gets egged out (as often happens when the bushing wears but does not get replaced immediately), the auto starter is your best bet.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Replaced the drag link and steering damper yesterday in the '62. Like having a new car!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

This one was parked in a junk yard and me and my friends were cutting parts of it as we needed to do so.
I have cut front part of chassis few years ago.
Fortunately front part remained beside the bus.

Recently i bought remains of the bus and collected all parts that has been cut of from my friends .
Now it is reparation time.

Few pictures.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Way to go! Put that cool logoed Panel back together, and post lots of pictures in it's own build thread so others can learn from your progress! Good on you!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Started assembling the 1776cc for the Flipseat

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

^^^ Living room a table? I like your style. I have a 1776 awaiting assembly, too.
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Took out 2 degrees of preload to get the BFGs to sit flat in the rear of the daddybus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:
This one was parked in a junk yard and me and my friends were cutting parts of it as we needed to do so.

Recently i bought remains of the bus and collected all parts that has been cut of from my friends .

Few pictures.

I really hope you guys are going to be welding some inner structure (sleeve) on the inside of the frame rail besides the gusset? Even though this cut is forward of the suspension, your ass is sitting directly above that area, not to mention all of the weight of the nose and floor. Probably a lot of flex going on there.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ Living room a table? I like your style. I have a 1776 awaiting assembly, too.

Coffee table- bachelor style!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:

Few pictures.

Cool, a Durkopp bearing bus. What was once junk. . . . Great to see buses like this fixed and saved.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Coffee table- bachelor style!

This exchange made me laugh and reminded me of selling a WW2 bomber oxygen tank at OCTO last weekend...as the buyer was walking away with it, my wife said "I'm glad that thing will finally be out of the living room".
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
veskovici wrote:

Few pictures.

I really hope you guys are going to be welding some inner structure (sleeve) on the inside of the frame rail besides the gusset? Even though this cut is forward of the suspension, your ass is sitting directly above that area, not to mention all of the weight of the nose and floor. Probably a lot of flex going on there.
Main rail frame was welded both sides out and in and reinforcement piece is welded to. But, as you mentioned yes my ass is sitting above and this is forward of the suspension but it is not just hanging in the air , it is also connected to the roof and dog legs and a and b pillars and that way to whole bus. The way i see it, all welds are for them self but also connected together in one whole structure where all forces are interacting and supporting each other.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Cracked some stationary glass when trying to install new rubber. Went absolutely ballistic when it cracked. Now gotta hunt down another sigla drivers side replacement. Crying or Very sad
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 599, 600, 601 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 600 of 680

Jump to: