Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

limited slip differential
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 1976 civilian 181 (thing) build in germany with a LSD gearbox. After having asked to Pierre-J, I added 80w90 for limited slip diff that I found at a gas station (Total). I saw some castrol too. Pierre-J and some other guys (former Vw mechanics) told me it has to be a special LSD oil, definitely not a common 80w90. Good luck in your search for the perfect oil.

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not right. All gear oil for manual transmissions is compatible with ZF LSDs. You just have to ensure the oil you are using has the special additive for clutch type LSDs. If it does not, you must buy the additive and add it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, what is the difference between a special LSD oil and an oil with special additive for LSD ???? Isn't that quite the same ?

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a "special LSD oil". That description implies an oil that can only be used with an LSD.

All gear oil can be used with all differentials. Clutch type LSDs require an oil with slightly different lubrication characteristics. Some gear oils have the additive needed to work with an LSD already in the oil. Most gear oils do not have the additive. To those without, you must add the additive.

If you look at automatic transmissions for American cars, a Ford must use the Ford type ATF. You cannot use Ford type ATF in a Chevy. They are not compatible.

All manual transmission gear oils can be used with all differentials. LSDs require the additve.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me a gear oil that has the additive needed for a LSD is a special LSD oil in the sense : special oil for LSD, already done. I'm not trying to say it was a special oil before the additive, just seeing it's the good oil for my car. And it's easier to use as it's already made. That's all. You're probably right saying that it's not special in the sense it can only be used with LSD cars. But I guess it's not made for the common cars, and more for those with LSD's. It's no big deal anyway, I don't want to argument for ever about that point, sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil with the additive can still be used in cars that don't have an LSD.

Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but what's the point ? There's no interest in doing that. Thanks for the photo, I've never seen that before, don't have it on my thing. Is it from a thing ? What year ?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre181 wrote:
Sure, but what's the point ? There's no interest in doing that.

The oil companies do that so one type of oil covers all gearboxes and diffs. If most don't use the oil for LSD, so be it. Just like most owners of 4 wheel drive vehicles never go offroad. Yet they knowingly pay extra for what they will never use.

The filler plugs were installed on gearboxes that came from the factory with a ZF. All the ones I have came off Type 181s.

What is the trans code of your gearbox?
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trans code is AW as it's an IRS. I also have a swingaxle Thing with LSD that is not running anymore, plus another with swingaxle but w/o LSD. They both need a lot of bodywork. You can see some of the revival of my thing here if you want:
http://blog.flat4ever.com/flat4gotten

Pierre
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AW is indeed the right code for a T181 with a factory installed ZF LSD. It should have originally had a filler plug like in my pic.

What is the trans code of the swing axle trans with the ZF?
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

says AL at the beginning of this discussion.

i have an AL in mine (1972 swing axle, ex UNO). i don't have one of those funky LSD oil filler plugs tho'. Shocked

( no, it's not a canadian car ).
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
Bruce wrote:

says AL at the beginning of this discussion.

i have an AL in mine (1972 swing axle, ex UNO). i don't have one of those funky LSD oil filler plugs tho'. Shocked

( no, it's not a canadian car ).

This is the only reference to an AL code in this topic:

pjmacua wrote:

The transaxle codes for the limited slip differentials are :
- swing axle : AL
- IRS : AW or GB

No offence to Pierre, but this is from the internet incest list of trans codes, which is full of errors. The reason I asked was to find out what was actually supplied in cars. Not what some bad list has.
If you say your Type 181 has an AL coded trans in it, that is what I am looking for.
Why does your car have a BC plate on it?
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
i have an AL in mine (1972 swing axle, ex UNO). i don't have one of those funky LSD oil filler plugs tho'.

Hello

The special LSD oil filler plug is one of the elements for determination but not a proof that your gearbox has the LSD or not.

Bruce, what is the VW part number of the special oil filler plug that is in the picture ? "113 301 123 A" maybe ?
When this part has been introduced for the Type 181 program ? Since the beginning (swing axle type 181) or later (IRS type 181) ?

The code also is not a proof. One example : my Type 181 has a GA gearbox and it has the LSD. Why ?

Because when my gearbox has been rebuilt, I gave to my mechanic a LSD and my GA transaxle and asked him to remove the original diff (open diff) and replace it with the LSD one. Simple, not ?

The contrary is also possible. Removing a LSD and replacing it with an open diff is easy, especially if the mechanic can't find the parts to rebuild the LSD.

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suspect that the oil plug was introduced on later 181's with IRS. mine is definately an AL and both wheels turn in the same direction when one side is turned by hand. so my car is worth at least $1500 more i reckon.but it's not for sale........... Wink

we're breaking another one which i pulled the engine out of today for in a friend's bay window bus, that hasn't got an LSD in it(wheel turns opposite way) but i forgot to look and see what gbox code it has.will check it later this week or next.

mine has a BC plate simply because i have a few of them and my sister lives on vancouver island. Smile
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
No offence to Pierre, but this is from the internet incest list of trans codes, which is full of errors.

Bruce,

How did you deduce that my information comes from a bad internet list ?

Do you think that we haven't got any Type 181 running in France with ZF differentials ? No trans rebuilders here ? No documentation ?

If you have a "good" list with information, let us know.

oorwullie wrote:
i suspect that the oil plug was introduced on later 181's with IRS.

You're right : it was available (with the option M220) after the chassis number 183 2346 525.

This part was in my small shop some time ago, in NOS condition. Price : about 17 euros.

Regards
P-J M.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjmacua wrote:
Bruce wrote:
No offence to Pierre, but this is from the internet incest list of trans codes, which is full of errors.

Bruce,

How did you deduce that my information comes from a bad internet list ?

Do you think that we haven't got any Type 181 running in France with ZF differentials ? No trans rebuilders here ? No documentation ?

If you have a "good" list with information, let us know.

Where does your info come from then?

There is a list that has been copied and posted dozens of times over the years that is full of errors. For example, it states that all open diff T181 had a code that I have NEVER seen. Now I have only looked at a few HUNDRED Type 181 gearboxes, so I suppose it could be correct. Then, the codes I have seen are not even on that list. Who has ever seen a GB code on a Type 181?
That incest list does not have codes AV, AW, AX, AY, AZ, yet I have seen all of those. According to the list, the cars those gearboxes came from are all supposed to have gearboxes with other codes.
Here's another one. A friend of mine who works at Rancho told me about an IRS trans core they received once that had a code AG on it. According to the list, AG is Fridolin. However, all Frids were swing axle. What is that?

I would love to have an accurate list of trans codes that would be a list of codes that have actually been seen by humans. I don't have such a list. That is why I specifically asked the other Pierre what the code was on his trans.

Last edited by Bruce on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
the other Pierre will check the code on his swingaxle LSD trans. The reason why I didn't do it before is that I live in Nouméa NC and my swingaxle thing(s) are outside the city on a land that I own 45mn far from home. Plus, the trans is still on the car so I have to go under the car on the (sometimes humid) grass to check. But as it seems important to you, I'll do it soon. I think that maybe you're taking all this too seriously, as it's not that important to be sure that all the trans codes on that list really existed. VW built their cars with thousands of different combinations and even if 99% were with the standard options, sometimes you find some really surprising things, like LSD on a bay window trans. Since I had heard of it many times, I was still surprised and amazed when I really saw it. Especially in Europe where a lot of different vw's were built for different markets, in different plants , you can find everything, even the most surprising. Even if you saw hundreds of trans, you can still find a different one someday.
And by the way, Pierre-J Macua is well known in the french (european)world of VW things, he runs his own website and is asked for informations by hundreds of thing owners. You can't think he's just copying a bad internet list. Of course he has his own sources of info, and not only the internet which is as we all know, not allways 100% trustful.
Pierre Gouarin
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, oorwullie already confirmed his gearbox is AL. That is all I am asking, proof of the existance of a gearbox with that code. If you and Pierre can confirm this, great.
The reason I ask is that I would like to learn what each coded trans has inside it so that when I go to open them up, I know what to expect. Then if what's inside isn't what I expected, I know it has been messed with. Just like Pierre asked me earlier what the part number of the special LSD filler plug was, and when it started. Personally I don't care when that started, but I can respect his quest for that tidbit of info. He's here to learn (and pass on his knowledge) just like I am. And when I see incorrect info being passed on as correct, I will speak out. The copied trans code list that circulates the www is one of those.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the moment i can only add that the mexican built 1973 we're breakng has an AK swing axle gearbox iin it.

oh, and some porsche 356a's were also designated model 182............... Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: