Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1953 Ghia Prototype
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/08/vws-karmann-ghia-58ths-scale-chrysler/
New article on the history of the Ghia. I cant speak to the accuracy but it is interesting.

Someone once posted a photo of the prototype and it was said it was a photo taken at Chrysler in Detroit. Searching for hours and cant find it.
Anyone have a link?

Could you be referring to the Chrysler d' Elegance, which was a very limited production vehicle designed by Ghia in 1953 for Chrysler?
According to this link - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1950s-chrysler-concept-cars2.htm - Chrysler later sold the design to VW who then scaled it down to fit on a modified Beetle floorpan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/08/vws-karmann-ghia-58ths-scale-chrysler/
New article on the history of the Ghia. I cant speak to the accuracy but it is interesting.

Someone once posted a photo of the prototype and it was said it was a photo taken at Chrysler in Detroit. Searching for hours and cant find it.
Anyone have a link?

Could you be referring to the Chrysler d' Elegance, which was a very limited production vehicle designed by Ghia in 1953 for Chrysler?
According to this link - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1950s-chrysler-concept-cars2.htm - Chrysler later sold the design to VW who then scaled it down to fit on a modified Beetle floorpan.

The car was the actual Ghia (VW) prototype. The post made a claim of it being in the shops at Chrysler. I thought I had saved the photo but I cant find it. It was a picture of the body on a stand and two guys standing beside it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

Which is absolute rubbish. Evil or Very Mad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you that the author invented a lot of the "facts" about the 914. He should have read the German book on the subject.....
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

... but it was right there in print on the Interwebs - it must be true!

Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

... but it was right there in print on the Interwebs - it must be true!

Smile

Hmmm You're right I didn't think about it like that. Embarassed

However it was obviously written by someone who hasn't a clue about Karmann...Ghia...Volkswagen...and come to that, Chrysler. Laughing
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the article I posted? How accurate was that? It seemed a little off to me but I have not read that much on the history. I do have a book about KGs but it is in German and I speak Californian LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overlapping side glass would be pretty noisy at speed. I can see why this didn't stick.

Trevor
pdc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article “VW’s Karmann Ghia Was a 5/8ths Scale Chrysler” repeats once again what has become the “official” story of the genesis and evolution of the Karmann Ghia design. The various versions of the story differ for accuracy, details and are often contradictory, but in general agree on one point: Ghia has taken inspiration for the small VW coupé from the monumental D’Elegance, and, as a consequence, the design has to be credited to Virgil Exner. The circumstances in which it happened are shrouded in mystery, but it is clear that everyone agrees that Ghia has somehow “stolen” the design, casting a shadow on the real merits of the Italian company.
I know that, in the absence of clear evidence, it is just guesswork often expressed as a doubt, but the substance does not change.
The first thing that does not convince me is the fact that the KG is a scaled-down D'Elegance. The two cars, in my opinion, are completely different not only technically, but also aesthetically, and the only serious aesthetic common element is the portion of the rear fender.
But what leaves me more puzzled in the "official" reconstruction is that no account is taken of the context in which collaboration between Exner, Segre, Boano and Karmann has progressed in those years. Ghia was working on many projects and with many manufacturers, testing original and innovative aesthetic and technical solutions. To identify the steps that would lead to the definition of the KG design, it would be sufficient to broaden our vision beyond the D'Elegance and Exner.
If I were to suggest the car whose aesthetic greatly influenced the design of the KG, the first that comes to my mind is the FIAT 1900 Junior Ghia that was presented at the Paris Motor Show in 1952, together with Exner's Chrysler Special (and not the D'Elegance as indicated in the article).

I am attaching pictures that illustrated the article on the Paris Motor Show published on the issue 22/1952 of Auto Motor und Sport. The 1400 B Junior was a show car featuring highly innovative aesthetic solutions, but is not difficult to guess the general proportions and design solutions that were later transferred to the KG.

Finally, I also attach a photo of the European car that was more deeply influenced aesthetically by the D'Elegance, which is not the KG, but the 1953 Alfa Romeo 1900 Sprint Special Supergioiello.

Last edited by pdc on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdc wrote:
Finally, I also attach a photo of the European car that was more deeply influenced aesthetically by the D'Elegance, which is not the KG, but the 1953 Alfa Romeo 1900 Sprint Special Supergioiello.

Well at least we can now be fairly certain about where the idea of adding an Alfa Romeo style grill on the nose of a Karmann Ghia originally came from. Smile

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

I went through this thread and removed most of the crappy Photo Bucket links, man do I HATE Photo Bucket!!

I substituted similar photos that I gleaned from doing a Google search or from here in our gallery.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:

To bad the front nose intakes didn't make it in... That would have been awesome with the matching rear ones.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

Chassis shots I took at HO22
Not great, but you get to see the construction

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Chassis shots I took at HO22
Not great, but you get to see the construction

Some noteworthy observations from these seldom-seen perspectives (nice going, RockStock!):
1. The stock Beetle seat locations were retained. Production-spec Ghias with their wider floor pans moved the seats outward from the frame tunnel so that they were centered within the larger width. This provided a few inches more "shoulder room" between the front occupants, and also created the slight offset from a straight line for the leg position to the pedals. If you were to sit in either front seat in the prototype and close the door, you'd notice a larger gap from the outer edge of the seat to the door panel.
2. The body was welded to the chassis, per the lateral extension panels that wrapped around the seat depressions. This is OK for the one-off prototype "concept" plan, but needed major reevaluation and redesign to the bolt-on method mimicking the Beetle body fastenings once the production version was approved by VW management.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

Good points
Jackpoint must be super long too…and a vertical rib in the front arch rear panel.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

It’s a shame they didn’t stick with the welded on pan, can you imagine how much more rigid the body would have been?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

We visited Karmann in the early 90s. I believe the chassis for the prototype shown in their collection was built in early 1953 as an 11 C sedan and sent to Paris. Does anyone have more details? Maybe that’s what Ghia could get their hands on to make the prototype.

In seeing notes like, they kept the seats in the same location, I ‘m thinking they just made their body conform to this 1953 chassis.

Here the VIN plate from the 1953 Beetle was just moved over to the finished prototype. Maybe that was the 1953 gas tank moved over too

I also like the detail of the muffler outlets behind the bumpers and in the rear apron was a nice touch. Maybe that is the original 53 engine too?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

It looks like a '52 style engine from that photo, although obviously the angle isn't the best.

A '53 engine has a carb. with an accelerator pump and 6mm fuel lines.

The air cleaner looks more low profile, probably to clear the Ghia decklid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

I can't understand why this car, a 1951 Ferrrari 212, body by Ghia, never gets mentioned in discussions about the origin of the KG design. This car pre-dates the Chrysler by at least two years. Did Mr Exner also claim this as his design?
Check out a recent Jay Leno's Garage video of this car, the similarities with a KG can't be disputed, does the Ferrari crowd refer to this car as a "lowlight"?

Link
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 Ghia Prototype Reply with quote

That's an interesting comparison. I think the Karmann Ghia design is drawn from many other influences that were current at that time.

Ghia of course had a house style that crept into other cars of their making, but the "Exner advocates" are the only ones who claim the design was stolen. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: