Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SO-34 Westy Question.... How many?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rhd. Reply with quote

charles henson wrote:
So far on the list you've got 4 right hand drive models!
what do you estimate the number of manufactured r.h.d models then?
Is there anyone with more info on that?or were I could find out more information of production numbers.
Thanks for any replies
cheers chuck

Hi Chuck, as far as I know there are no publicly available records of westy production numbers, let alone rhd vs lhd numbers. There was a figure of almost a thousand westys produced by 59 (so23 production) being discussed at one point but I dont know what evidence there was/is. They (westfalia campers) dont have a serial number until so42 production, so best guess is we will never know.

I am confident from the number of flipseats in the classifieds that never make it to this forum, that there would be at least 3x as many out there if not 4x. Odds are most of these will be in the USA and Europe so majority will be lhd.

I know of two other right hand drive flipseats here in NZ, unfortunately they are both long gone. One was very rusty and cut up some time ago, the other rolled and seems to have been parted, I have the rhd tent and the table from that one and hope one day to find some more of the interior but odds are... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charles henson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: 65 bus volume numbers Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
There is 57 on the list now. {4 r.h.d. models}an quite a few lhd on the for sale list over time.
And you say 1000 so23,s were made maybe, but cant be confirmed.
So if there was roughly the same amount made this is a guestimate break down.
So if say 900 of them are l.h.d. models and the last 100 are rhd drive.
And over time with models being cut up, crashed and made into scrap metal.
You can cut the number down to say as a guess 400 left world wide?
Break that down again to say 370 lhd an 30 rhd models left.
And on the list mine is the only 65 model-r.h.d,
So in theory my 65 could it be 1 of only a few 65 rhd made and or the only 1965 rhd made and the last rhd made bus in the so34 model?
low numbers made what ever the outcome is.
So any idea of how many so34s were made?
cheers chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrophenshutzwagen wrote:
put me down..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

there are four on that pic.mine is red/grey 2nd from left. built aug 62.
all original apart from the repaint. to the right of me is carsten andersens from denmark complete with dormobile roof!! (so an SO36 i think?) to the left is sweet rides very early 34. 4th one along is from the north of england.very original too.incudes original lavvy seat still in its packaging.

reposted as old image removed above.

Anyone know what the badge is on the dogleg in the bottom pic of the red bus?? My german delivered so-35 has evidence of a sticker/badge in that same location on both sides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 bus volume numbers Reply with quote

charles henson wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
There is 57 on the list now. {4 r.h.d. models}an quite a few lhd on the for sale list over time.
And you say 1000 so23,s were made maybe, but cant be confirmed.
So if there was roughly the same amount made this is a guestimate break down.
So if say 900 of them are l.h.d. models and the last 100 are rhd drive.
And over time with models being cut up, crashed and made into scrap metal.
You can cut the number down to say as a guess 400 left world wide?
Break that down again to say 370 lhd an 30 rhd models left.
And on the list mine is the only 65 model-r.h.d,
So in theory my 65 could it be 1 of only a few 65 rhd made and or the only 1965 rhd made and the last rhd made bus in the so34 model?
low numbers made what ever the outcome is.
So any idea of how many so34s were made?
cheers chuck

Chuck, no I meant 1000 camping boxes etc up till so23 production in 1959. If I remember where I read this I will link it to this page, that figure seems high given how few are left.

The so 23 registry was a good place to look for comparisons but I notice its down.

No idea how many were made, its all conjecture. They are rare but its all relative. What it means for you, is the odds of you finding all the bits to complete your bus are not good, better start hunting... good luck...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
put me down..

all original apart from the repaint. to the right of me is carsten andersens from denmark complete with dormobile roof!! (so an SO36 i think?) to the left is sweet rides very early 34. 4th one along is from the north of england.very original too.incudes original lavvy seat still in its packaging.

Anyone know what the badge is on the dogleg in the bottom pic of the red bus?? My german delivered so-35 has evidence of a sticker/badge in that same location on both sides.

Hi Oakman, you could PM "katastrophenshutzwagen", that flipseat is the one that was bought by Volkswagen AG and "restored" by them, presumably its on display somewhere. It is almost definitely a dealer badge, if you get your birth cert from VW it should tell which dealer...
Now that you have your flipseat we can expect 100% og copies in white veneer or pearwood in the near future??? Very Happy
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
oakman wrote:
put me down..

Hi Oakman, you could PM "katastrophenshutzwagen", that flipseat is the one that was bought by Volkswagen AG and "restored" by them, presumably its on display somewhere. It is almost definitely a dealer badge, if you get your birth cert from VW it should tell which dealer...
Now that you have your flipseat we can expect 100% og copies in white veneer or pearwood in the near future??? Very Happy

Hi otahuhu, thanks for putting together this registry. I will send a pm to katastrophenshutzwagen. I need to send out for the birth certificate now too! It would be awesome to have some 100% o.g. cabinet copies available Smile I would be stoked to just have a re-pop chandelier!
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
otahuhu wrote:
oakman wrote:
put me down..

Hi otahuhu, thanks for putting together this registry. I will send a pm to katastrophenshutzwagen. I need to send out for the birth certificate now too! It would be awesome to have some 100% o.g. cabinet copies available Smile I would be stoked to just have a re-pop chandelier!

If I remember rightly it was Fred in France who started this list... I have a chandelier and a broken one, you repop the cabinets and I will repop you a chandelier. The problem with the chandeliers is that the tubing on the originals is hollow, it would be easy to repop a solid replacement lens but you would then need to sort out the spun brass and the electrics.
JimJonkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a solid repro is a good idea to have as a "user", then we can wrap our original in cotton wool and keep it safe, as if it gets broken it's game over...put me down for one Smile
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimJonkers wrote:
I think a solid repro is a good idea to have as a "user", then we can wrap our original in cotton wool and keep it safe, as if it gets broken it's game over...put me down for one Smile

I'll see what I can do Jim. This is my old girl...

she is from the era when people didn't want dirty girls like her, they just wanted the clean ones, now days you take what you can get... Shocked ___Anyway, shes got a bit of a bulge on the lside and a little nic dead center in the pic, but I will make a silicon mould and play around with the plug to get it just so and the mould the plug, no point in ruining this old girl she is what she is...
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rhd. Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
charles henson wrote:
Is there anyone with more info on that?or were I could find out more information of production numbers.
Thanks for any replies
cheers chuck

Hi Chuck, as far as I know there are no publicly available records of westy production numbers, let alone rhd vs lhd numbers. There was a figure of almost a thousand westys produced by 59 (so23 production) being discussed at one point but I dont know what evidence there was/is. They (westfalia campers) dont have a serial number until so42 production, so best guess is we will never know.

Yes, I read that the 1000th VW camper was produced by Westfalia in 1959.
That means when you add up all the campingboxes, spring frames, the 56 kit ZuggBugg has, the 57-58 campers, and into SO-23 production, the 1000th was made in 1959.
So in terms of pressed bumper westies, there were fewer than 1000 made.
I should find and scan in the pic of that book page.

This was before SO-34 production, and AFAIK there were no fabric #s used until the SO-42 era.

Did VW even keep records of RHD compared to LHD production?
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhd. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
otahuhu wrote:

That means when you add up all the campingboxes, spring frames, the 56 kit ZuggBugg has, the 57-58 campers, and into SO-23 production, the 1000th was made in 1959.

This was before SO-34 production, and AFAIK there were no fabric #s used until the SO-42 era.

Thanks Clara, do you know where that figure of a 1000 buses by 59 came from? as I said I remember reading it too, just cant remember where.

The Westfalia 125 year book has this graph(sorry about the photo, I dont have a scanner at home, I added the grid)...

..there is also a pic of and early bay with the sign 50,000th VW campmobile, the book seems to have been written/printed in 1969. The graph says Produktion der Anhanger (trailer) A.m.H (?) und Campingwagen. If the graph is fairly correct, and the figure of 1000 produced by 59 is also true, then sales rose with the introduction of the so23 then declined with the so34/5/6 models and rose exponentially with the so42/44/69 etc etc. Although you cant put a figure on it you can see that sales fell to late 50s levels by late 62. Last time I looked the so23 registry had 200 registered so23s which would explain the spike, also for a time in the early 60s you had a choice of so23 or so34/5/36 plus the 22's etc up till fat hatch introduction...
I wonder what the price difference between an so23 and an so34 was if any?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard you could still order an so34/35 in the so42/44 time period (65-67) although I don't think many people did. Of course if you went to Wiedenbruck you could get pretty much anything you wanted if they still had it in stock.

With about 12k so42's made and almost double that for so67's, I could see them hitting the 50k mark by 1969.

Last edited by srfndoc on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
charles henson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: westy numbers Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.
That graph is very interesting.
So the way I read it ,its a mixture of Westfalia models manufactured such as the so23 /34 etc over that year.
As a guide from the book it looks like they made 3000 westy campers in 1965.
True?
cheers
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Westy Production Totals thread:

1965: Fabrik Nr. 1-2200 (about 2200 produced)
1966: Fabrik Nr. 2200-6900 (about 4700 produced)
1967: Fabrik Nr. 6900-12700 (about 5800 produced)

SO-42 total production of around 12,700.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579032
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhd. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
otahuhu wrote:
charles henson wrote:
Thanks for any replies
cheers chuck

Cool graph, thanks for posting.

Wonder how many of the 1000 were SO-23's?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I picked up a 62 flipseat subhatch about a year ago. She is patiently waiting on the resto to begin. Unfortunately along the way all of the camper interior was removed. The only thing that remains is one flip seat arm and the subhatch. Not sure what direction I will go on the restoration just yet.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 62 SO 34 I picked up a few months ago, sold my 60 SO 23 to get it. I just love flipseats. Should have never sold my 63 SO 34 , so there's 2 for the list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
I have a 62 SO 34 I picked up a few months ago, sold my 60 SO 23 to get it. I just love flipseats. Should have never sold my 63 SO 34 , so there's 2 for the list

How about some pics?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
messerschmitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westy Question.... How many? Reply with quote

Just picked up a 1961 so34 in a field in Northern BC Canada where I live. Add one to the list. Mcode plate. import code KV (canada vancouver) may 17 1961. 779xxx.
Long time acvw'r. First time posting. Special thanks to everyone in the forum.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westy Question.... How many? Reply with quote

Congrats on the find. Post up some pics including the mcode plate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: