Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fender Beading
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Fender Beading Reply with quote

I was recently lurking on the Pre-'67 Beetle forum and saw a thread having to do with the color of fender beading. Whenever I see colored fender beading I equate it to a cheap paint job. However, on older Beetle's, you could order fender beading to match the color of your car. (who knew?).

Did the Thing ever come with fender beading that matched the paint color?
miscreantgnomie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah mines just a cheap paint job Smile
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on this...but if you look at all the old sales brochures...they always show black fender bead. No where in the accessories brochures have I read of an optional fender bead color.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the beading was only available from VW in black on 181's and bugs. In the eighties white beading and window rubber was available aftermarket for the "So Cal bug look".

I think it is a sign of class or at least a better paint job to see fresh black beading done right. Easy to do even if someone else is painting it, just remove the fender and beading and remount the fender with some very small shims or washers so the paint can reach the tween. After the paint has cured - loosen it up and remove the shims and install the beading.

I love to paint even thou I get little enough time to do so. I like to paint doors, hoods, windshields seperate from the car with all seats, rubber, chrome and trim off and put away. It is really a very relaxing zen thing to reassemble a car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: