Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 swivel seat UPS panel bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
el roacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy, your '57 wasn't by chance a DD panel was it? I remember a guy from the Chico skatepark with a cool pressed bumper DD Panel, I even think his name was Dave too now that I think of it, is that you? I'm just trying to remember. It's been a long time since I was there and I met a lot of VW people and Bus guys through Bryan. Yeah I knew they got a shop out there behind Pedersons on your way out of town headed North. It sure was nice working out of his back yard shop though. I had a lot of fun there and did a lot of work on my bus in that shop.

mpribanic, I will take a couple picrures of the key ring for you and e-mail you them shortly.
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get this bus from a dude named shad in redding?or is this shad? i know this bus for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el roacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is his old bus, but no this isn't him.
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so stoked on this bus.i remember shad telling me the story about the other ones being crushed.your lucky to have saved this sweet ride.im getting ready to do a vw series of board graphics for my shop and i would be super hyped to do your bus as a limited edition board graphic.lets talk about it.all i would need is a high res picture.lets do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pic's of the UPS brass key ring Nate sent me. Looks authentic to what UPS uses today on their vehicles. Note the vehicle identification number stamped on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the cool old times from Chico. I'm starting to have flashbacks of stumbling home through campus coming home from the bars late at night. Hell, for that matter stumbling through campus drunk on my way to finals every year.
I do miss the fun times there and have not been back in years. The wife and I definately need to come visit.
If we do Campy, we'll look you up when we can make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck Night!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but it seems logical to me that if you take this thing to the very end, meaning you're in a court of law in front of a judge, you would win. Like somebody else said, it's not your fault they let the vehicle out without crushing it. You legally bought it. I think any alleged (ahem Rolling Eyes) re-applying of the logos by you is debatable. They can call it infringment, I say you were doing routine maintennance. It's not like you bought a red panel, and painted it to be a ups truck. Still, you are one guy and they are a mega-corporate giant with virtually unlimited funds and lawyers. We've got to have lawyers in our motley crew, what do you think? That is one sweet bus though!
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate it was good meeting you at the WA Spring show, glad your hyped on the rack. Come on man, drive that bad boy up for the Vintage weekend.

It's really cool that so many people remember this bus and have chimed in on it. One of those "what ever happened to that bus" things..but here it is. When I met Nate and he's all, "yeah I have an old UPS bus" part of me is going "surrrrre you do". Cool to see the old pics and hear the stories.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpribanic wrote:
Here's some pic's of the UPS brass key ring Nate sent me. Looks authentic to what UPS uses today on their vehicles. Note the vehicle identification number stamped on it.

Thanks for posting that, I'm cutting some duplicate keys right now! Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
All the cool old times from Chico. I'm starting to have flashbacks of stumbling home through campus coming home from the bars late at night. Hell, for that matter stumbling through campus drunk on my way to finals every year.

Don't black out on the train tracks!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot about the Bear (Madisob Bear Garden): there was a rumor some years ago that the State was going to buy it and turn it into a museum for Chico State. Shocked To anyone who has never experienced it late on a Saturday night, that is the number one reason to visit Chico. Cool I bet that there are some stories out there.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ev, No train tracks for me, just my friends.....

Campy, The Bear was much better before they switched the bathrooms around. Old school Chico people will remember this one.
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know how to get ahould of the dude Shad that owned the bus before Nate?he is a long lost friend of mine and im trying to locate him.
let me or him know.
thanks
el roacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Still, you are one guy and they are a mega-corporate giant with virtually unlimited funds and lawyers. We've got to have lawyers in our motley crew, what do you think? That is one sweet bus though!

You said it there Rick. They've got unlimited money to throw at a law suit if they really wanted to take it that far with me, and I don't. If there are any lawyers out there with any info they could shine on this subject that would be great. I have one lawyer connection through a friends sister that I am going to talk to before I "correctly" re-do the logos again.
el roacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57OGRAG wrote:
Nate it was good meeting you at the WA Spring show, glad your hyped on the rack. Come on man, drive that bad boy up for the Vintage weekend.

It's really cool that so many people remember this bus and have chimed in on it. One of those "what ever happened to that bus" things..but here it is. When I met Nate and he's all, "yeah I have an old UPS bus" part of me is going "surrrrre you do". Cool to see the old pics and hear the stories.

Aaron, yeah, thanks for the sweet deal on that rack man, I dig it! This bus has needed a full metal rack for a very long time. I'll try and make it to the NW Nationals with the bus, but no promises. And don't worry every one goes, "surrrrre you do", now you all know what I have to deal with, and the lame "SPS" stuff doesn't help out either. That's the biggest delema, and most frustrating part of owning this thing. I always have to explain the "real" story behind this bus, because everyone always thinks it's a fake.

I really will try to make it up there in July, and either way I will be there with or without the UPS, so i'll look you up. It was cool meeting, and talking with you at the Spring Meet and having you school me on roof racks and all the differences, i've been paying a lot closer attention to them now. I even read the entire "bus roof rack" thread today. Lot's of cool info in there. But what brand of rack is the one I bought from you??? In that entire thread, still no one answered that question, and other people in there asked about that same type of rack!
el roacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett, thanks for posting that little link on how to post pics in the Forums. I didn't realize it needed to be a picture on the internet with a web address. That makes sense now. I know how to post in the Gallery, so I will post there first and then just use that link to post in the Forums. I guess that's the way a lot of, if not most, people do it, as you always see " for the forums" in their descriptions. It all makes sense now (DUH)!

Oh yeah, good luck with the blanks too, i'll be switching locks tomarrow! Cool

Are you an ex-Chico guy too, or familiar with it? That place does have a certain way about it, that's for sure. It's all about partying...and a little bit of school in there somewhere too I guess!
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew who made it as well. Somewhere in the gallery is a period pic of that style rack on a pressed bumper bus in Europe. It's a black and white photo, I think the bus has radio equipment on the rack and maybe a sign. I've search but can't find it anymore. I've heard people say it's an early style VWOA rack but the photo I mention leads me to believe that's not the case. If you get a chance check if the threads on the clamps are metric or standard. That would clear up some of the confusion.
As for the logos, I'd have them read "UPS", fauxed to match the bus. If you're worried about getting hassled while daily driving run magnets over them.
I wouldn't let anyone from UPS touch the bus without a court order. The way I see it it's your bus, they have no right to look under the magnet to see what's going on.
el roacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it, I hope, I can't tell yet! Did I actually post a picture in the Forums? If not i'll try again, or there is this same picture at the begenning of this thread actually, the only pic of it in here with a rack on it. Anyway this should be a picture of the rack I am trying to ID. I want to know who made these! What brand/make roof rack is this, anyone???[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=356413
Mowser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
If I was in this for big money, I wouldn't be in it.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: