Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting back to VW's
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PO-Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Getting back to VW's Reply with quote

I had a '73 Bug for 10 years and it wound up destroyed in an accident. I want to get back into VW's and am considering a Thing this go 'round. My concern is can a Thing be a good daily driver, or am I better off going back to a Bug?

I like mild offroading and convertibles, so I believe a Thing would be the way to go. I recall how much money and time I put into the Bug and I feel certain the Thing will cost me even more -- but should bring me even more joy. But,I really want something I can drive 100 miles round trip and not worry about reliability issues.

Thanks for any opinions/thoughts. Though, posting in the Thing section your responses may be a "little" infulenced!
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the ACVW community. As far as daily driver, many of us in the 181 community do drive ours frequently. Reliability issues are no more so on a 181 than a bug. Over the years I have found the maintenance (or lack thereof) is almost always responsible for break downs. Though you will probably get dissenting views, I would find a nice dry 181, go through the motor to assure it's up to snuff and install a freeway flyer trans. Then just drive the bejeezus out of it.
GregZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking after your Thing is no more difficult than looking after a bug though some of the "Thing only" parts can be a bit of a challenge.

You'll find its all worth it though there are very few vehicles that have as much fun potential as a Thing.

Go for it!
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klokard: X2

Some Thing parts are pricier than their bug counterparts, and Things are going up in price in general, so it's good that you're going into this expecting to spend a bit more money.

On a warm day, top down, doors off, windshield down - you'll have a good appreciation for a Thing Wink I've had friends tell me it's the closest you can get to being on a motorcycle but with 4 wheels. Other people treat you differently too. Here's a write up I did a few years ago:

http://veewiki.com/IanEpperson/Scrappy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
. . . Other people treat you differently too. . .

Um - the tiger stripes might be a contributing factor there. Wink
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for it. Very Happy

but its going to be a bit different then a bug. no interior panels, headliner or carpet, plastic windows, it can get drafty.
parts can get pricey on a thing too.
maybe even more prone to theft than a bug, god forbid, if you cant park it in a secure place all the time.

if you can handle driving something as warm and comfortable as an OLD jeep, and keep her protected from theft or another accident, i say DO IT
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Thing as a daily driver and I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I would offer one warning -- the top is a PITA to raise by yourself. In my case, I have a parking garage at work, so no worries during the day, and I have covered parking at home, so evenings are not a problem. The trick for me is the drive home during the summer months when Florida gets those sudden violent afternoon thunder storms.

Generally, these storms come and go quickly, so I can time my drive during a clear spot on the radar, but occasionally I get soaked. Because the top takes several minutes for one person to raise and secure, and I only live a few miles from my office, I generally just suck it up and deal with it if I'm caught in a downpour mid-drive. It only happens once or twice a year and I consider it a small price to pay for how much joy I get driving the car each day.

Having said that, the rain patterns in Louisiana are a little more persistent than those here in Florida, so I would think twice about a Thing if your primary motivation is to drive with the top down and you didn't have covered parking. In that circumstance, I would consider a ragtop Baja. It would be lighter than the Thing or a convertible Bug and the top is easy to open and close. It would also perform at least as well off road compared to a stock Thing and would probably be cheeper than a Thing of equal quality.

Not trying to scare you off, the Thing is my favorite VW, but you need to consider its limitations as a daily driver in a rainy climate.

Ben
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how the Things and Beetles shared the same drive train setup, you will have the same issues between the two. Since you drove a Beetle for 10 years, you're well aware of the basic maintenance needed to keep them alive and well.

I would say that the Thing was built with a bit more strength in it's suspension, seeing as how VW advertised it as a "fun mobile" for doing mild off roading.

As bciesq mentions, the top may be a weak point, as they are "wind" noisey, and you will most likely want to buy the side curtains with sliding front glass over the stock plexi-glass setup if this bothers you.

Buy the Thing. You'll get more attention on the road with it over a Beetle.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
Seeing as how the Things and Beetles shared the same drive train setup, you will have the same issues between the two. Since you drove a Beetle for 10 years, you're well aware of the basic maintenance needed to keep them alive and well.

I would say that the Thing was built with a bit more strength in it's suspension, seeing as how VW advertised it as a "fun mobile" for doing mild off roading.

As bciesq mentions, the top may be a weak point, as they are "wind" noisey, and you will most likely want to buy the side curtains with sliding front glass over the stock plexi-glass setup if this bothers you.

Buy the Thing. You'll get more attention on the road with it over a Beetle.

Sorry to go off topic, but it's good to have you back around here, bucko.
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just making the move back to aircooled as well. I have had 3 Things in the past and have used each one as my primary driver. Your happiness with a Thing is all relative to your priorities. They all rattle alot, there is a ton of wind noise, and basically zero insulation properties. Most of the wear items are simlar to a bug, but the few Thing only pieces will cost you more, but aren't all that hard to find. That being said find the most complete car you can since things like wiper motors, top frames, gas heaters etc... can add up quickly and may offset any great deal you may be getting.

I bought my first Thing just to pull the tranny to use for lowering my 61 Double Door panel. After driving the Thing home I was in love. In my mind they are one of the best driving aircooled VW's out there. They also have alot of space for a convertible and the off road capabilities for a 2wd vehicle are amazing. It feels so good to be back in a Thing. You should see if you can find someone on here that is close to you and go for a ride. You will be hooked.
PO-Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I dont mind the top problems, around here in the summer it either rains or its 100+ temps. I'd probably leave the top up and the windows off most of the time if I am going very far from home. I have a garage at home and drive a company vehicle to work weekdays.

I have looked at a lot of pics and am I correct that the windows will store in the front storage area or in the back seat area? Also, I read about the gas heaters. Does the Thing not have the channels and heat exchangers like a Bug?

Thanks again, keep the info comin'.
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PO-Dan wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I dont mind the top problems, around here in the summer it either rains or its 100+ temps. I'd probably leave the top up and the windows off most of the time if I am going very far from home. I have a garage at home and drive a company vehicle to work weekdays.

I have looked at a lot of pics and am I correct that the windows will store in the front storage area or in the back seat area? Also, I read about the gas heaters. Does the Thing not have the channels and heat exchangers like a Bug?

Thanks again, keep the info comin'.

The windows will store in the area just in front of the gas tank.

'73 Things have gas heaters. '74s have the familiar heat exchangers, but the heater channels on the '74 Thing run along center tunnel, not the rockers.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no top for my '73 Thing. Oh, I've casually looked for a reasonable hard top or possibly a good deal on frame (mine is toast) and top, but nothing has materialized.

Thing is, I don't mind having it completely topless. I love zipping around it and driving it like I stole it. Mind you, it only comes out on dry days, or mostly dry. I carry a tarp and cover it quickly if rain looks like it's coming.

I love the elemental nature of it, the quirky handling characteristics of a rear engined car, and the fact that I don't see myself coming and going.

There's also the simple utility of it that holds great appeal.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PO-Dan wrote:
....... I have a garage at home and drive a company vehicle to work weekdays......

if you have a company car, your good to go. no reason you shouldnt have a thing for your personal/weekend driver.
i assure you it's gonna be way more fun than a bug.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops double post....edited Embarassed

Last edited by norcalmike on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pumpkinthing wrote:
PO-Dan wrote:
....... I have a garage at home and drive a company vehicle to work weekdays......

if you have a company car, your good to go. no reason you shouldnt have a thing for your personal/weekend driver.
i assure you it's gonna be way more fun than a bug.

Agreed. My earlier words of caution were based on using a Thing as a true daily driver in a rainy climate.
PO-Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing would be for afternoons and weekends only, as my job requires me to drive a particular "company car" Shocked

I guess I am at a loss on the gas heater thing. Is it something that really rins off of gas from the gas tank, or a seperate reservoir I have to fill or what? One thing I loved about my Bug was the fact that no matter how cold it got, I could break a sweat in it in no time flat.

Now I just have to find a Thing somewhere near my home for sale!
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas heater gets its fuel from the main gas tank. When working properly, it will put out a lot of heat. Most of that heat is lost through the Thing's drafty top and body, but it does the job. One neat thing about the gas heater is that it has a built in timer that let's you warm up the inside without having to run the engine. So, after drinking your last cup of coffee and brushing your teeth, your Thing will be nice a warm...
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Portland, Oregon, where it rains seemingly all of the time. My Thing is my daily driver- it's been my only car for about a year. I did upgrade to sliding glass windows, but other than that, it's not a problem. You just have to resign yourself to the occassional drip inside, and I'd make sure the doors have the proper weather stripping (mine have none, and on the highway, a little water sprays into the cabin from the bottom of the doors). But, as ACVW owners, we're accustomed to making certain sacrifices, like going slow, unrelenting engine noise, etc. Getting a little wet is part of the charm.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PO-Dan wrote:
I guess I am at a loss on the gas heater thing. Is it something that really rins off of gas from the gas tank, or a seperate reservoir I have to fill or what?

Here's a quick writeup on it:

http://veewiki.com/HeaterBN4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: