Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lights problem
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: lights problem Reply with quote

When I got my Thing, I knew the left turn signal didn't work. Today, it was dark and rainy so I turned on my headlights. When I used the right turn signal, it would blink once and that's all. I turned the headlights off and it would start blinking like it is supposed to. I'm not really sure if that would be a short somewhere, or maybe I'm not getting enough juice from the generator. Any ideas?

Also, the little power port on the dash is pretty cool. My laptop adapter plugs right in. Very Happy
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bad ground wire? The ground wires for the front lights are in the "trunk", screwed to the inner fender area, in front of the gas tank.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground seems to be making good contact. I did find a relay that has the case broken open. It is behind the panel that has the headlight switch. It's a small silver relay mounted on the far left of the front wall and has a zillion wires going to it. What does that relay do?
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possibilities on the box, headlight high beam relay (has thick tellow and white wires, among others) or turn signal flasher (has thinner wires, one blue, one white wire, one blue with a red stripe and a brown).
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: