Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator Hold Down Spring - with pic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Accelerator Hold Down Spring - with pic Reply with quote

My dumb question for the day - Where and how does this spring attach that keeps your accelerator pedal from flopping around. Any pics, diagrams, or talk me through it.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KantDriveFast wrote:
Quote:

As cool as it is to find old VWs that have been sitting since the '70s, most of these are cut up (buses especially) and smell like weed and feet. Sad
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "hinge" pin goes through the loop, the "long" ear clips under the hook 1/4 of the way up the pedal. (the "hook" stamped out of the center of the metal pedal itself)
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do my best to describe it...

This is a two step process:

1) Mount the pedal to the floor:
The long part of the spring will be towards the front of the car, the small part towards the rear w/ the loop up towards the roof.
The pivot pin that attaches the pedal to the floor mount will pass thru the floor mount; then one loop in the pedal; then the loop of the spring; the other loop in the pedal and finally thru the other side of the floor mount. The spring loop should rest in the middle groove of the pivot pin.
At this point, the spring is not doing anything except for keeping the pivot pin from slipping out. It should be lying almost flat on the floor. The pedal can still flop back and forth since the spring is not attached yet.

2) Attach spring to back of pedal:
With the pedal in the forward position, pull up on the long end of the spring and slip it behind the metal tab located about 1/3 the way up the back side (facing the front of the car) of the pedal. Now there should be spring tension holding the pedal forward.

Done.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DrD and Ash I think I got it. One quick question does the short side of the spring go under the bottom side of the assembly. I am thinking that is only way it would get tension.

It kills me that something that seems so simple can really be frustrating. Embarassed

KantDriveFast wrote:
Quote:

As cool as it is to find old VWs that have been sitting since the '70s, most of these are cut up (buses especially) and smell like weed and feet. Sad
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short end of the spring should extend towards the back of the car. It sticks out (just a bit) and is covered by the rubber pedal cover, or rubber mat.
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

Now there should be spring tension holding the pedal forward.

I just found this thread on a search. I couldn't figure the spring out. So, you mean the spring pushes the pedal forward? I was thinking it was supposed to pull it back. Do you really even need the spring then?
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulls it down, forward, front of the car.

Helps hold down the pedal on the roller, and works like a charm. I got tired of adjusting my pedal when I kicked it off the roller. Not to mention it was an accident waiting to happen.

KantDriveFast wrote:
Quote:

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised how easy it is for the accelerator pedal edge to get caught on your shoe as you brake and then as you lift off, the pedal flops down (towards the back of the car) and now you have to find the small roller w/ your toe to accelerate. Or reach down and flip the pedal up while you try to drive. Evil or Very Mad
71sbvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a roller pedal from aircooled.net for my 71. Wow what a difference than that stupid gas pedal. The newer roller pedals are bigger and better than the older style. jmo
Dave
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's a year old post, but I just found it. I took a few pics of my install. I hope it's correct, if so maybe it'll help someone else.

LiveJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now a five year old post... yes, going back and adding pictures does help. Thanks.

'73 Beetle
'73 Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kentga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Throttle Pedal Spring Reply with quote

mkparker wrote:
OK, it's a year old post, but I just found it. I took a few pics of my install. I hope it's correct, if so maybe it'll help someone else.

---

Any chance someone knows where to find shots of a properly configured pedal assembly - from multiple angles? The ones above were either deleted, or I just can't get to them. Thanks!
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pic from the gallery looks good.

Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs'n'Pugs wrote:

Ewww.

Marc wrote:
No, this is wrong. The cable goes into the arm from the RH side...if there's a problem with it coming out, the arm is bent or the Z-bend in the cable is inadequate. Properly installed, the cable should enter directly into the conduit with no side-action present.-

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=131804&p=1019906&hilit

Marc wrote:
...The design of the `58 - early`66 accelerator pedal leaves a lot to be desired - putting a roller pedal in one of those is the easiest way to restore full-throttle capability (although the best way is to build up a cluster using the early clutch & brake pedals on a late casting w/integral accelerator pedal).
I can think of no rational reason to put a roller pedal on a late`66-up car (unless you drive barefoot and get a thrill out of having your instep massaged). If you take things apart far enough to fit a roller pedal, you're already past the point required to simply replace the spring.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=120197

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_07_00/wired_07_00.htm
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
This pic from the gallery looks good.

This is backwards, and plastic late model pedals are also very prone to failure on the ramp that rolls on the bobbin...better to replace with an earlier steel unit for best action IMO.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
sslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I've gotta chime in here. I'm having an issue right now with my pedal and after reading this thread, I'm just as confused as I was before. I've got a late pedal assy ('73 Ghia) that I recently bought/installed a "kit" for. I've been driving it around for a while now and am having quite a time keeping the throttle from sticking a bit. I'm having to bump the pedal to get it to return to idle. The return spring on the carb is good and strong but I think the problem is with the spring under the pedal. The way it's arranged now, the tension pulls the pedal down towards the roller. I was under the impression that this was correct and that it would compensate for the pedal wanting to flop over the wrong way. But, the cable isn't returning all the way. I tried flipping the spring over so that the action pushes the pedal up and away from the roller, but it just seems to want to flop the pedal over. My question is: was it right the way it was and if so does the spring just need to be adjusted to release some of the tension that causes the throttle to stick?
gevmage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sslick wrote:
I've been driving it around for a while now and am having quite a time keeping the throttle from sticking a bit. I'm having to bump the pedal to get it to return to idle. The return spring on the carb is good and strong but I think the problem is with the spring under the pedal. The way it's arranged now, the tension pulls the pedal down towards the roller.

Yep, at least in the Beetle that's the way it's supposed to work. The spring on the pedal pulls the pedal weakly down towards the roller, the carb spring pulls the cable and thus the roller up fairly stiffly.

Quote:
I was under the impression that this was correct and that it would compensate for the pedal wanting to flop over the wrong way. But, the cable isn't returning all the way. I tried flipping the spring over so that the action pushes the pedal up and away from the roller, but it just seems to want to flop the pedal over. My question is: was it right the way it was and if so does the spring just need to be adjusted to release some of the tension that causes the throttle to stick?

Unless somehow you got a completely incorrect spring on the accelerator pedal, it's much too weak to effect the actual throttle. It's very thin, like a thin paperclip.

I suspect your problem is either that the cable is sticking in the tube, the throttle shaft is sticking in the carburetor (that was my problem one time), or that the spring arrangement is wrong on the carburetor. What carb are you running? Can you post a picture of the left side of your carb so we can look at the spring setup?

Craig Steffen
(channel name "figuring stuff out dot net")
Physicist, pilot, computer person
craigsteffen.net
sslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched the throttle cable tube (through the fan shroud) and it freed up the cable some. The return spring is good and strong on my carb (I'm running dual HPMX's). I'll try to get pics if this continues to pose a problem. I haven't had a chance to try it out since I've switched guide tubes but the cable seems a lot less restricted now. I still think that the pedal spring has too much tension tho. I'll keep you posted. BTW: the Ghia pedal assy is the same as the Bug.
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reposting pics of mine that were deleted off an old website.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: