Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Almost bought a diesel westy yesterday....
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Almost bought a diesel westy yesterday.... Reply with quote

So there I was, sitting in a cafe in Venice, when a new listing pops up the craigslist/santa monica. 83 westy with a 1.9 tdi. Within about 10 minutes of her posting the ad I was at her place, checking it out. She wants $7500 for it. Now, I KNOW that the 1.6 is supposed to be a dog when you put down the pedal, but I thought for sure that a 1.9 turbo diesel would have some low end to it. So I got a b i g surprise Shocked when I gave it full throttle in 1st and waited while it slowly moved forward. Confused Confused Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I have to say that I wouldn't know a 1.9 tdi from anything else, so maybe this was just a 1.6, I don't know. Too bad the interior and exterior were so rough or I would have still considered it. She bought it only in April, and said she had sunk a lot of money in repairs so far, and was afraid of what was next to go wrong. (Nice that she was so honest about that ). Also she said one time she was following a friend in a 1.9 westy/automatic, and her friends westy pulled up hills like she was standing still. Sound like this was a 1.9 tdi? btw, this also has the 5 speed tranny.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

If it's really a 1.9 diesel turbo then the turbo must be dead. It was wise of you to walk away.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1.9 TDI is going to have a turbo hanging off of it while a stock 1.6 NA will not. A 1.6 will actually take off pretty quick because the gearing is so low. I have no idea now the 1.9 TDI with highway gearing would do.
barkeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

First time poster, long time lurker ...
Thanks for all the great information on westies. I have yet to find "the one" for me ... but I keep looking.

Speaking of which, do you guys know any thing about a 1986 1.6L turbo diesel westy? Did they make any improvements from the 1982-3 versions?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my 82 TDI conversion on the road. It is a rocket ship off the line. I have to shift to second half way across the intersection. It jumps out front of diesel powered pickups without trying. $7500 sounds very cheap. The cost of a turnkey conversion sorted out could be $10,000 just for the parts and labor. This would not take into account the cost of the chassis. To me there would be no confusion driving a TDI versus a non turbo or a 1600TD.
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Speaking of which, do you guys know any thing about a 1986 1.6L turbo diesel westy? Did they make any improvements from the 1982-3 versions?

The ONLY production vanagon diesels were 1982-1983. They both came stock with a 1.6 N/A motor. All turbo diesel motors in vanagons are engine swaps from other vehicles (usually Jettas, Golfs,...etc.)The major difference between the 1982 and 1983 diesel was the stock 5 speed transmission in 1983.

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the 1.9TDI it would make very good sense to change the R&P
the Diesels were geared VERY low to allow the 1.6na to push them.

my 1.6TD conversion with aircooled trans (highest R&P ratio stock) moves mine along JUST FINE with the right lane highway traffic 65-80mph no problem, if I had a 1.9TD/TDI I would go higher tires and bring my cruising speed up and RPMS down (mpg saver)

one item to note, when going to HIGHER R&P vs Lower is that the 1st and Reverse action are a tad more strained.. only trouble for backing up a very steep driveway.. where the lower gearing crawls right up very nicely.. my drive is flat..

but for $7500 for a CA EMISSIONS EXEMPT TDI camper is a VERY good price.. even though it would like a few more $$$ invested to round out the improvements and maintenance upgrades.

Dan
1980 Turbo Diesel ASI Riviera.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
$7500 sounds very cheap. The cost of a turnkey conversion sorted out could be $10,000 just for the parts and labor.

This is why I almost bought it. I know it had a turbo on it, but didn't know if it was the 1.9 or 1.6. If I KNEW that the turbo wasn't working, I would have very likely bought it, but the thought that this might be the performance of a working td bothered me. Apparently someone else thought it was a good deal, because she sold it about an hour later.
gonna see life my way

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainpartytime wrote:
Quote:

The ONLY production vanagon diesels were 1982-1983. They both came stock with a 1.6 N/A motor. All turbo diesel motors in vanagons are engine swaps from other vehicles (usually Jettas, Golfs,...etc.)

In the usa, yes, ....but there's lots of em in Europe, and maybe Canada? I don't know
gonna see life my way

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: