Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailer Wiring Help!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Trailer Wiring Help! Reply with quote

I am finishing up my westy trailer and need some help with wiring. My trailer uses bus tailights so I essentially would like to tap off my bus lights and wire them back to my trailer lights. I can use brass 1 male 2 female to jump the bus and trailer lights together. The problem I am realizing is that the trailer plug I have has 4 wires. 1 for ground, 1 for turning and 1 for brakes.

If I am correct I can jump the brake light wire off of one of the bus tailights and supply the two trailer brake lights. I can also do jump one of the bus running lights and supply my trailer running lights. I now will have two wires left 1 which will have to be my ground and the other for my turn signals. The problem I have is I will need two seperate wires for the turn signals as if I supply both trailer lights with one turn signal connection from the bus my blinkers will both blink when I hit left or right!
I know getting confusing.

Correct me if I am wrong but I could jump all the connections from one bus tailight(running,turn,brake) and supply both left and right trailer tailights with the same lights except for one trailer tailight which will get its own dedicated turn signal which I could jump just the turn signal from the other bus tailight so that I get that turn signal only on the other side of the trailer! Should I just buy a plug and make this happen or is there a more professional way!

I usually can figure these things out but, I am having trouble laying it out!!
Pics of setup!
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a 5 pin connecter.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.aspx
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either what Ted said or add a single wire for the ground and use the plug for stop,running,left,right.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys! Just want to make sure I have a clear idea on how I am going to accomplish this. If I was to add a ground wire how would I do that! It is the plug itself that I am trying to ground correct?
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have to ground the plug, just need an extra wire (with a disconnect) from the bus body to the tailight grounds.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the tailight grounds? Are you saying I could essentialy use my existing 4 wire harness for all the lights and make a seperate wire with a disconnect for the ground. I am still unclear where to put the ground wire?

I could attach it to a good metal ground on the bus and the other end I could attach to the tailight grounds wherever they are!
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: ground terminal Reply with quote

Charles, reach inside the engine compartment passenger side. about 3 inches from the tail light holder there is a double male connector welded to the body. thats the ground. I also use that for my trailer 4 prong plug.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks olddkp!!
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

redbus Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also pull a Harbor Freight Trailer with my bus. When I wired the lights, I also wanted to use backup lights on the trailer. I cut the four pin connector off of the HF wiring and added 2 more wires -- a ground and a backup + lead. I used a standard 6 pin connector to wire it all together. An advantage of this is when I pull my friends motorcycle trailer or loan my trailer to someone else, the wiring is all standard.

You can find these plugs and the "pigtail" for the trailer end at most FLAPS or RV stores. I think Walmart may also have them.

Steve

"Her shaft is bent and the rear end leaks, you can fix her quick with an oily rag, use a nail to start her I lost the key. Don't pay any mind to that whirring sound. She uses a little oil but outside of that she's cherry." -- C.W. McCall
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my question was where are the grounds on my tailights. I now know where to ground the wire on the bus but where on the trailer tailight!
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

kkirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you run the wires out of the engine compartment? I have wanted to do it like you have it but can't find a way to keep the wires from getting scorched buy the exhaust.
2012 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
2006 Yamaha WR450
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tailight ground terminals are inside the tailights, under the grey covers. Or if you still have wires hanging out it's the solid brown ones.

Слава Україні!
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah under the grey covers I have the bulb connections not sure which one is the ground?
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

redbus Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ground all the lights to the frame and just have one + lead to run to each bulb. Then connect a ground wire to the tongue near the coupler and run that to the bus.

Steve

"Her shaft is bent and the rear end leaks, you can fix her quick with an oily rag, use a nail to start her I lost the key. Don't pay any mind to that whirring sound. She uses a little oil but outside of that she's cherry." -- C.W. McCall
redbus Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I misunderstood the question and you need to know which terminal on the bulb is ground, just compare to the lights in your bus. On my '70, all the ground connections are daisy chained with one black wire. It's pretty easy to figure out.

Steve

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve's right, find the terminal that connects to all the bulbs.

Слава Україні!
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: trailer lights Reply with quote

here is how i have mine hooked up.[img] the pic's are in my gallery
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Trailer wiring Reply with quote

redbus Steve wrote:
I also pull a Harbor Freight Trailer with my bus. When I wired the lights, I also wanted to use backup lights on the trailer. I cut the four pin connector off of the HF wiring and added 2 more wires -- a ground and a backup + lead. I used a standard 6 pin connector to wire it all together. An advantage of this is when I pull my friends motorcycle trailer or loan my trailer to someone else, the wiring is all standard.

You can find these plugs and the "pigtail" for the trailer end at most FLAPS or RV stores. I think Walmart may also have them.

Steve

For a really comprehensive electrical towing socket & plug system, you could do no better than those used in Great Britain & Europe, as follows:

British & European, 12N standard 7-pole, electrical towing socket & plug, which traditionally serve all the road-vehicle lighting requirements (including reversing light and rear fog lamp), for a towed trailer, for which the following link shows the wiring circuit:

http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/trailer_towbar_wiring/12N_trailer_towbar_wiring.htm

The following link, shows the wiring circuit, for the similar looking, British & European, 12S supplementary 7-pole, electrical towing socket & plug, which serves other electrical requirements of a towed trailer or caravan, such as battery charging, interior lighting, refrigerator, etc:

http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/trailer_towbar_wiring/12S_trailer_towbar_wiring.htm

In Great Britain & European, the two pairs of matching 7-pin, 12N & 12S towing sockets & plugs, are being superceded by a single pair of matching, ISO 11446, 13-pin socket & plug, so both systems are still currently in use.

http://www.western-towing.co.uk/acatalog/Towbar_electrical_parts.html

http://www.rightconnections.co.uk/13pin-uk.htm

The following link shows the wiring circuit:

http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/trailer_towbar_wiring/13_Pin_trailer_towbar_wiring.htm

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground is through the hitch, all the lights are grounded to the steel frame of the trailer. Since the battery is grounded to the body and frame of the bus, the trailer can be grounded to the frame through the hitch assembly. Wink I hope that made sence... Confused
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm in the process of wiring up a Hella 7-pin trailer wiring sock and have the same question as the gentleman below:

kkirwin wrote:
How did you run the wires out of the engine compartment? I have wanted to do it like you have it but can't find a way to keep the wires from getting scorched buy the exhaust.

I just don't see any great way to get the wires from the engine compartment to a socket I'd like to mount under my bumper without getting close to the exhaust. I've seen some pics that show a trailer plug hear the left taillight, which could be an option but I might then have to extend my trailer's plug cable to reach the longer distance.

Interested in any advice and/or photos you may have of your socket cable routing.

Thanks in advance!

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: