Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

limited slip differential
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
banuet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: limited slip differential Reply with quote

With the two back tires in the air, if I turn a wheel by hand, the other one turns in the same way, but with the left back wheel in the ground and the car raised in the right side, only the right wheel has traction... when I hit the clutch the left wheel has a little traction and slides a little on the pavement...

1.- did a previous owner changed the differential?

2.- do I have it but it doesn’t work?

3.- is that all the response that I am supposed to expect from the limited slip differential?

4.- none of the above.

please help.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a LSD.
Incorrect or old oil can affect how it reacts when you jack it up. To know for sure, remove the drain plug and have a look up the hole. (you probably need to change the gear oil anyway, right?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best on-road LSD available is the Quaiffe. However, it can't transfer more than 80% of the torque. That means that if one wheel has more than 80% of the traction, the other wheel will simply spin freely. Basically, if one wheel is completely in the air, the Quaiffe LSD will not fix it by itself (the trick there is to push the brakes a little to grip up the wheels). Most serious offroaders avoid the Quaiffe for that reason. However, on road, it's awsome because under extreme acceleration it perfectly balances the torque.

Another thing that might have been done is they didn't put an LSD in there at all and just shimmed up the spider gears. That would make the diff sticky and behave as you describe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banuet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys for your help.

I’ve drained the oil and washed the differential yesterday. Added some new oil (80) and a very stinking 4X4 additive...

It is now getting a better response on the one-wheel air test (doing the brakes trick).

talk you latter... I need a road test!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banuet wrote:

I’ve drained the oil and washed the differential yesterday. Added some new oil (80) and a very stinking 4X4 additive...

How did you wash the diff? Did you remove it?
What is the 4x4 additive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banuet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve drained the oil and then I filled the dif. with a mix of kerosene oil and regular oil... (mexican recipe?) on the ramp I made it run a few turns and then drained the dirty mix.

I bought the additive in a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge store... it is a small white bottle for 4X4s.

Don’t know much about mechanics but you were the second person that recommended me to change the oil... another friend told me that I will have to learn to live with no LSD... I think it works!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking Safari.

Have a look for the transmission code stamped into the case like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Let us know what the code is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: