Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear brake drum question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: rear brake drum question Reply with quote

The children at the local tire shop who balanced my tires overtorqued my lugs and damaged the threads in the rear brake drum. When I put a lug nut in, it seems to thread then just spin at the end.....what are my options gents? (other than buying a new drum)
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have studs pressed in. It's a better set up anyways. Now you have a reason to do it.
efi67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy new drums or have yours studded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you replace the drums the tire shop who damaged them are responsible. And do not let them put cheap bug drums on the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the future, just take your wheels and tires in to be balanced, and do all the installation yourself. Idea

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't pay for the balances....about 80 bucks in lieu of the damage...I supose I could run on 4 lugs...lol

Yes that was 80 bucks....

Believe it or not, it's hard to find a place that has an adaptor to fit our wide opening. At least here in Kingston it is.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmx12vmx12vmx12 wrote:
I didn't pay for the balances....about 80 bucks in lieu of the damage...I supose I could run on 4 lugs...lol

Yes that was 80 bucks....

Believe it or not, it's hard to find a place that has an adaptor to fit our wide opening. At least here in Kingston it is.

That's why I bought one, so I wouldn't have to worry about what the tire place has: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=373915

Nobody in my area could balance wide-5s either, and I was calling *everybody*.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a spare front hub, could it be used to mount the wheel to the balancer?
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
If you had a spare front hub, could it be used to mount the wheel to the balancer?

I asked the tire manager at Costco that exact question while they were rotating/balancing the wheels on my wife's car. He said that the center opening on the hub was too small to fit a modern balancing machine. Perhaps you could have the hub drilled out at a machine shop?

In the past, I've had luck calling RV dealerships. Wide wheels are common on RVs and the dealers usually know who in the area still has an old bubble balancer or the proper adapter for a modern balancing machine.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the VW dealer you can buy rabbit or other air cooled lug bolts. They are longer than Thing lug bolts so they hit the threads deeper in the drum. That is a lowcost quick fix. But like others have stated. Going to studs instead of bolts is the best solution for any Thing. Wheel studs rock stud bolts not.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
Wheel studs rock stud bolts not.....

Why? I've heard this before, and I've heard that stud bolts are fine. I know a several people with stud bolts, and they've never had a failure. I can imagine that if you don't use locktite (red!) or something similar to lock the threads (JB Weld?) it may back out unknowningly with use and eventually you'd lose a stud bolt. Is this the only reason why they're maligned?

I just bought a full set of stud bolts (including a set of locks) and plan on putting those in place later this week. Torque them up with jam nuts and an extra helping of locktite red to hold them in place. Since I know what I'm looking at and since I'm the only one who takes the wheels off I'll be able to easily spot any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: balancing VW bus and thing wheels Reply with quote

If you live in the South Bay Area of San Francisco.

Wheel Works (408) 255-2800, 18522 Prospect Road Saratoga, CA 95070 have the wide adapter and have balanced my wheels for me with no problem.

BTW what is the ID spec on rear drums, I want to find out if have have drums or boat anchors in my parts stash?

Last edited by sam_w on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet, get a strobe balance or any other on-car wheel balance.

X
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the ID allowable limits are stated right on the drum
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tire shop guy is a VW owner and says that if you setup the machine for dual wheels you can balance them with no problem. He did mine and I don't have any problems. The whole wheel drum thing might not work he said because they aren't perfectly balanced either. And as far as balancing them on the car he has a machine to do that but has it packed away because it's impractical too since when you balance it on the car if you ever have to take it off you have to be sure to put it back on in exactly the same position using the lug nuts in the exact same holes or your balance will be off. As far as lug bolts go they must be fine as VW is still putting them on cars today.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
I will clean off my drums and look for the ID limits
Thanks
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set of studs when the rear drums on mine got stripped. I probably ran for almost 200 miles off and on before I noticed I was missing a bolt. The studs haven't budged since. They're kinda cheezy looking 'cause the nuts are chrome and about 3" long, but it's better than nothing....
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
And as far as balancing them on the car he has a machine to do that but has it packed away because it's impractical too since when you balance it on the car if you ever have to take it off you have to be sure to put it back on in exactly the same position using the lug nuts in the exact same holes or your balance will be off.

That's kind of a dumb excuse on his part. All you need to do is make a little chalk mark on the wheel and drum so you know how to orient them later.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, where do you get these studs for the drums?
Can you put them on yourself, or do you need a press of some kind??

(Stripped one rear last weekend, so this thread was very timely)

alg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
rnewman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love any additional feedback you guys have on converting 5 wide drums to 14mm studs. I need a good solution so the I can mount some paddles mounted on douglas wheels. any problems with brake hardware clearance? any reliabilty issues? drums prone to cracking? Any info much appreciated Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: