Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Wiring and funky Vin #
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Thing Wiring and funky Vin # Reply with quote

I just took my maiden voyage in my 73 Thing today, it has been sitting in my garage taunting me for a couple of months, and I finally got her running. I now need to address all the other issues. Does anyone have a clue what the small wiring bundle next to the battery is for, and where it goes? It was cut when I bought it. It come off the main wiring bundle right next to the battery, just outside the engine compartment.

Also, has anyone seen a VIN# like this--- Under the hood, there is a tin plate pop-riveted over the original vin. The plate has a VW stamp on each end. The vehicle passed an IDOD inspection, and it wasnt stolen. I have a clear title. Any help would be appreciated.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what wiring you are talking about but a picture might help

As far as the vin plate goes if the first 3 numbers are anything other than 183 it is not a 73 Thing vin number and your Thing is titled as something else. It sounds to me to be a dashboard mounted vin plate off another VW.
Celthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thinghunter. I forgot to mention, it is titled as a 70 thing, but the VIN (the one under the plate) indicates a 73 thing. Very odd. Probably stolen somewhere down the line.....
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a rebody. Is it made in Germany?
I would be careful about digging into the title too much, if found to be stolen you will lose it all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of other VIN locations. There is a number stamped on top of the tunnel under the rear seat near the access plate. Sometimes there is also a sticker on the interior side of the pillar between the driver's side doors. Mine was tough to see at first as it was painted over.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but a 70 Thing vin probably starts with 180 so if your car starts with 110 then it is probably actually a Bug vin. Like Ferretkona said you might want to quit digging into this but you probably shouldn't dump too much money into it with a questionable title because it won't ever be worth much.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you import it to California from any other state, you'll have to show the VIN on the car in two places. Just food for thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some PDs in Texas will now seize your car if you don't have the proper VIN #s
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this story last week about the stolen T-bird:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/22/BAG14QJU561.DTL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: