Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 2 heater in a Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: type 2 heater in a Thing? Reply with quote

I picked up this BN4 at the Punch Buggy show over the weekend and would like to put it in my '73. Aside from the duct work is there any big difference between a type 2 and the ones that came in the Things? Anyone use one of these before with a 181?

I'm planning on sending it out to the Heaterman who's been referenced in other posts and I'm going to have to pick up some parts for it, but as the winter is still many months away I'm not in a big rush

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would get a thing heater. there are lots of parts used on both the late type 2 and thing bn4's, but there are many thing only bits you need and they are the most important items to have. what you have in th photos is the easiest part to get - the combustion chamber basically, but it is the ducting, wiring and fuel bits that you need to make the heater fit into the thing. much better (and cheaper in the long run) to get a complete thing heater pulled from a vehicle with everything intact.
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
i would get a thing heater. there are lots of parts used on both the late type 2 and thing bn4's, but there are many thing only bits you need and they are the most important items to have. what you have in th photos is the easiest part to get - the combustion chamber basically, but it is the ducting, wiring and fuel bits that you need to make the heater fit into the thing. much better (and cheaper in the long run) to get a complete thing heater pulled from a vehicle with everything intact.

thanks for the reply... I was positive I needed new ducting but I thought the wiring would be the same... figured I'd give it a shot since the price was right

I'll be on the look out for a complete thing heater then
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuebelwagen84 wrote:

thanks for the reply... I was positive I needed new ducting but I thought the wiring would be the same... figured I'd give it a shot since the price was right

I'll be on the look out for a complete thing heater then

Yeah, I agree with Scott. The intake pipe and exhaust pipe, as well as the ducting and electrical, and it looks like the mount is different too. I'm a bit surprised that it is that different, but those are tough bits to find or make.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can trade it with Heaterman for the correct one.
Mark
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered.

If in good shape, if a type 2 heater could be mounted in the engine compartment. Duct it thru the sheetmetal and bypass the heater boxes.

Or how about mounted under the back seat next to the battery, no need to run any duct and you only need to run a exhaust pipe. Or plumb it into the heating system under the seat along the tunnel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie61 wrote:
Maybe you can trade it with Heaterman for the correct one.
Mark

not a bad idea, I'll see if I can get his contact info again

1600s of air-cooled German muscle!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: