Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help me adjust my shift linkage.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomadik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Please help me adjust my shift linkage. Reply with quote

I should have never touched my shift linkage adjustment pinch bolt. What a nightmare, broke down for days spending all my freetime messing with it really confused the whole time.

I have been told to rotate th shaft after loosen the pinch bolt.

How do you rotate the shaft, I can see how this would help anyways, but even with vice gribs on the front shaft it doesn't move more than a hair in each direction.

Also my lenght must be out now, it seem like that what makes the difference.

But no matter what I do when I put it down in reverse, its in 1st gear.

my book doesn't even mention rotating anything, it says to use a board that is about 19 mm,

If anyone can explain this for a dummy how to get moving again I would be very happy.
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not dumb, just ignorant to the proper way it adjusts. I mean ignorant in the true meaning of "not having any knowledge." Remember it German and it may feel backasswards to your brain. I remember a tool someone mentioned that was a Dealer tool for the techs that held the shifter in the proper position while the linkage was tightened. Find NEUTRAL at the trans and adjust shifter to match. The side-to-side limits will also need to be found. I had 4 NON VW A$$Joles watching and laughing while I figured it out but I did prevail and got it to get all gears. GOOD LUCK AND MY BEST REGARDS, DAVID.

Last edited by DAVEURO on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if you are in the portland oregon area but if you are im about 40 minutes outside in the st helens area and can help.its hard to explain in type.i did mine about a week or two ago and got stuck with the same problem.i have a mechanic friend in st helens that helped me and in about 10 minutes we had it fixed.its a lot of trial and error and learn as you go.as i was saying im off work thursday and can help.
2006 jeep commander
nomadik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone could explain kind of like I am here explaining how I have been doing it.

- Put the shifter in neutral

- Loosen the pinch bolt.

_ go under where the box is in the front, make sure the right side of the finger thing is about "20 mm from the right side bar thing that reverse goes under,

- make sure that finger is about half way front to back on that same guide.

go back under the middle of the van and tighten the pinch bolt trying to make sure the ball at the trans is barley touching its guide thing.

- check it.

*I don't know how to find neutral at the trans with my hand, how many clicks is it from being pushed all the way to the rear ? that would help.

* I am not in Portland, I am up in B.C.. but thanks anyway for your offer very nice of you. I would like to take this van to Portland this summer though, perhaps we could do a westy meet there.
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did mine yesterday. Neutral is when the two balls are vertical and the bracket is all the way out of the trans. The smallest adjustment at the rod clamp makes a huge difference up front. Also, that clamp bolt has to be given'er tight or the rod will slip on the splines at some later date. I made a rigging block out of wood and keep it in the van all the time. When I follow the book it works out, you could probably fine tune the adjustment at the shifter base. That reminds me, make sure the holes at the shifter base are lined up and centered before you do the rod adjustment. Good luck.
nomadik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that should help, thanks.

Did you happen to have trouble getting it to go in reverse at any point durning your trial and error ? I can't understand why that would keep happening.
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you realize the two shafts are splined together... If you are simply trying to twist the two, it won't work. You need to loosen that clamp, slide the two shafts apart, rotate one spline, and slide back together the same amount you slid them out.

I suggest wrapping a piece of tape around both shafts, and drawing a line across both shafts so you can see how much you rotated it by. The purpose of the tape is to mark how far you need to slide the shaft back in. Unfortunately, i can't remember which way to turn the spline to help you find reverse.

HOWEVER There are a couple other things to think about first. Worn out shift bushings (under the shifter, two in supporting the shift rod, and another one back at the tranny) will make finding gears difficult.

AND THE EASY THING TO DO FIRST. If you pull up the rubber boot on the shifter, you will see 2 10mm hex bolts. Mark where those are in their slots, and try loosening those to move the plate left/right. I think moving it to the passenger will make finding reverse easier (but memory is fuzzy after all this time).

Good luck,
-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbx wrote:
I hope you realize the two shafts are splined together... If you are simply trying to twist the two, it won't work. You need to loosen that clamp, slide the two shafts apart, rotate one spline, and slide back together the same amount you slid them out.

I don't think all the shafts are splined at both ends then. On the two Vanagons I have adjusted both have had splines on only the forward shaft. Confused
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvanulden wrote:

I don't think all the shafts are splined at both ends then. On the two Vanagons I have adjusted both have had splines on only the forward shaft. Confused

Interesting... mine was definitely splined on both sides. I wonder why you'd have splines on only one side?
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my van is a 90gl,it only has splines in the front also.i think it has splines only on one side for grip when you tighten the cinch bolt.i did mine about two weeks ago,loosened the cinch bolt and twisted the shaft to adjust.i never had to pull the shafts apart.i had a buddy under the van watching the shaft while i ran the shifter through the gears.he had me find neutral and then he loosened the cinch bolt i then pushed the shifter over to the passenger side (but still in neutral).he then twisted the rear shaft over to the driver side and tightened. if you play with the rear shaft while bolt is loose (twisting left to right vise versa while still in neutral)you will know when you are headed twards 1st when you feel that spring loaded resistance that you get when trying to get over to reverse,at that point you know that you are near first and need to go the other way(in neutral between 3 and 4).remember your pushing down motion is only so the bottom of the shifter handle will clear the tracks in the box above your spare tire(reverse safety lockout)i dont know what the actual term is.that pushing down motion wont be seen in the shifting movement at the cinch bolt,only a forward or backward side to side motion.anyway im trying to say i adjusted mine in neutral between 3rd and 4th that way you get that separation between reverse and 1st.ps i have tons of slack in the shift bushings and i was still able to pull it off so there is hope!!!!!!!!!!!
2006 jeep commander
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my van is a 90gl,it only has splines in the front also.i think it has splines only on one side for grip when you tighten the cinch bolt.i did mine about two weeks ago,loosened the cinch bolt and twisted the shaft to adjust.i never had to pull the shafts apart.i had a buddy under the van watching the shaft while i ran the shifter through the gears.he had me find neutral and then he loosened the cinch bolt i then pushed the shifter over to the passenger side (but still in neutral).he then twisted the rear shaft over to the driver side and tightened. if you play with the rear shaft while bolt is loose (twisting left to right vise versa while still in neutral)you will know when you are headed twards 1st when you feel that spring loaded resistance that you get when trying to get over to reverse,at that point you know that you are near first and need to go the other way(in neutral between 3 and 4).remember your pushing down motion is only so the bottom of the shifter handle will clear the tracks in the box above your spare tire(reverse safety lockout)i dont know what the actual term is.that pushing down motion wont be seen in the shifting movement at the cinch bolt,only a forward or backward side to side motion.anyway im trying to say i adjusted mine in neutral between 3rd and 4th that way you get that separation between reverse and 1st.ps i have tons of slack in the shift bushings and i was still able to pull it off so there is hope!!!!!!!!!!!
2006 jeep commander
nomadik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys,

still haven't gotten anywhere yet no matter how long or short or how much I twist the adjustment, - the only change is that sometimes I can't move the shifter.

I am starting to think something else is wrong.

Can anyone tell me this

how do the gears go on the back ? it seems when I put it in reverse the rear rod is all the way back on the lever, the boot is off so I can see it is, so why isn't in reverse I really don't understand, isn't that reverse ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: