Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gettin close!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Gettin close! Reply with quote

Today, I got the intermediary bar modified to fit and bolted in place (feh, the number of "bolt on" parts that aren't...), fuel system parts machined, engine bolted in today (Thanks Solomon Grundy!!) and even bolted up the bumper and muffler for a test fit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopefully, I'll be driving it before the weekend is out.

Note the modified catch for the deck lid. Cut off the old one, bought a good bracket from a surplus store, tapped a couple of holes in the rear, and now the latch can be removed to make it easier to pull or install the engine. Much nicer looking too.

PS. Yes, I know my tail lights are backwards. I'll fix them tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by Ian Epperson on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a shot from this morning. Had to chop some metal off the right side of that intermediary mount and had to shave down the red urethane to get it to fit.

Welded the seams of the frame horns, modified Bugpack truss bar, modified Aircooled.net intermediary tranny mount, Rhino tranny mounts. That should hold everything still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: Beautiful.
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should see it in person. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GPthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot nice stuff in the trunk Orange 181

brian w
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of tranny are you running in front of that big 'ol Raby engine?

(Sorry- I haven't been following the forum the past 6-odd months)
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Jake's off-the-shelf B+ trannys.
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Wow what is up with that engine?? Wink
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! Mounting the oil cooler SUCKED! I finally got it in place:

The oil filter was also challenging, but I really like where it's located:

You can also see my new coil there next to it.

Also, got the gauges mounted Friday night (but not wired up yet):

Not far enough ahead to drive it by tomorrow (ah well) but I may be able to fire up the engine tonight!
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really cool and accessable oil filter location, but aren't you going to spill oil all over your engine compartment every time you change it? Neutral
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the theory: when changing the filter, crack it open a bit and let the oil drain back into the case. Note that it's up higher than anything else - even the cooler - so it should work ok. The outer portion of all filters is supposed to have a check valve preventing most of the oil from leaving the filter anywhere but the center.

We'll see how well that actually works. Changing it might just be a messy job - but also note that I've left room around it for catch rags and mess cleanup. Wink Also, I didn't get anal about getting it level, so excess oil will roll off a known side.

Pre-oiling the filter may be right out. I'll probably just crack open the return line and crank the engine a bit after a change.
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Here's the theory: when changing the filter, crack it open a bit and let the oil drain back into the case. Note that it's up higher than anything else - even the cooler - so it should work ok.

I work on a petroleum pipeline and we have huge engines/pumps and the works... attached to each pumping unit are softball size, lightbulb shaped (with the ball on top and the thin part facing downward, i.e letting the oil drop by gravity into the pump) oil containers which put oil directly into the bearings/pumps...

we have to change these out/refill them everynow and then and that's exactly how we do it when we don't want to make a mess... just crack them off a little, let the oil drain back down and once it stops take them fully off and refill them

while I know it's not the same thing, it's more or less the same theory so it might just work out for you

1600s of air-cooled German muscle!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if any company ever made a heatsink that could fit on the oil filter.

Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to bolt in the very cool Tangerine Racing exhaust manifold this evening:

#$%#$%!#~! Found out that it doesn't clear the torque bar!

I think I can relocate the lower mount and make it work, move the mount farther back and lower - pivoting off the side after grinding out the outer tranny carrier lip and getting the upright through that loop... but that means pulling out the engine and tranny again, and not being sure if it'll fit until it's all in again, and hoping that I've got enough distance on that turnbuckle to reach the new location - if not, re-re-make the upper mount. Gaaa! Two steps forward, one back.

Last edited by Ian Epperson on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
I wonder if any company ever made a heatsink that could fit on the oil filter.

I thought I'd seen them before, and Google found this:
http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/oilfihesi2.html
http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/1193/category_id/48/search_model/

Looks pretty trick, wouldn't be a good choice for me - it'd be best if it were outside the engine compartment. I'm sure it helps, but I doubt it would cool as much as even a small oil cooler - not enough internal surface area.
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. questions:

1. What fan shroud is that it look nice
2. Why the trani support?
3. Why the engine cooler in that location rather than than in the side louver vents with a fan?

Regards
Saddlesore
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:

I think I can relocate the lower mount and make it work.

Hmmm... I don't think that'll work. That would only move it forward 1/8" and allow the mount off to the side, but it probably still won't clear. I think I have to fab my own lower torque bar mount. Or maybe I'll just sell the entire setup (it looks nice!) and go with a rear traction bar instead.

Ah well, I'm going on vacation tomorrow for a week, so I'll have a few days to ponder it.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:
Very nice.

Thanks!

saddlesore1 wrote:
1. What fan shroud is that it look nice

It's a DTM (Down The Middle) shroud originally designed and built long ago by Joe Locicero. When Joe passed away, Jake Raby acquired the rights to build it, and he now sells them as kits or as part of his "turnkey" engines.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php?cat=248

saddlesore1 wrote:
2. Why the trani support?

That engine should turn as much as 190HP and the stock tranny mounts were not designed to carry that much torque. A fast start may cause them to snap back and forth creating wheel hop and hammering on everything in the drive train. Additionally, I'd like this to be able to do some mild offroading, and the slight additional weight combined with a few heavy bounces can crack an unsupported frame horn.

saddlesore1 wrote:
3. Why the engine cooler in that location rather than than in the side louver vents with a fan?

The idea is to get the heat out of the engine. If it were in the side vents, then the heat would blow right back into the compartment, through the stock cooler and also over the heads. Where it is now, it'll exhaust the heat under the car into the air stream where it shouldn't get re-consumed by the engine. Additionally, since the air doesn't flow as smoothly through a cooler as it does through the vents, less air would get into the engine compartment. Adding a fan may cause cavitation which would make the situation even worse.

Type2 owners don't put the external coolers over the vents, they're fully outside the air system on the side of the bus. I could have done that too, but I think it's an ugly look.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, that is looking good!!! Can't wait to see the final product and once you get it dialed in how you like it. What is the R&P in the tranny?

Also, be sure your filter has an anti-drain back valve in it or all of the oil will drain out when you are parked and when you start up your engine there will be a brief moment of lack of oil pressure do to this-don't ask me how I know.

Put in thos trailing arms as well-hahaha-jk, good job on all of that work!
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
What is the R&P in the tranny?

Not sure.

74 Thing wrote:
Also, be sure your filter has an anti-drain back valve in it or all of the oil will drain out when you are parked and when you start up your engine there will be a brief moment of lack of oil pressure do to this-don't ask me how I know.

I understand that most of them do. This fascinating site:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Shows the valves inside the filters, and he rates them. I picked up the Bosch before seeing his site, but it clearly has a drain-back valve.

74 Thing wrote:
Put in thos trailing arms as well

Naw, rear-wheels are overrated Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: