Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinges ve
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinge Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
Curt_vw wrote:
Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:

Early models (or cars with lowback seats) require an S-bracket to hold the passenger seat, otherwise it falls too far forward. The backs of the front seats are used to hold the bench seat in place. This holds true for the original sleeping hinges (I know because I have the originals installed).

can the kit from DDB include the S-bracket? or instructions on how to make one?
I was just talking about this kit today, so it's funny to see a post up about it.
Smile

They'll get the S-hook once I get gas for my MIG (welder, that is Wink ) because I need to make a jig so I can reproduce them accuratly. The hook ends aren't on a flat plane (best I can describe it) and I'm also going to get them dipped in industrial vinyl (i.e. you need to soak it in acid to remove it from the metal) so they'll last a long time AND not scratch up the seats Wink

The S-hook is only necessary for low-backs. High-back seats rest against the windshield and are, of course, at the perfect angle to help contain/hold the seat.

What does one do about the center seat belt mount on the tunnel? My seat hits this, and rocks back and forth on it. I tried finding the part recommended, but it is a "B" not an "A" suffix. Thank you for any assistance! Very Happy

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinge Reply with quote

architect_7 wrote:
What does one do about the center seat belt mount on the tunnel? My seat hits this, and rocks back and forth on it. I tried finding the part recommended, but it is a "B" not an "A" suffix. Thank you for any assistance! Very Happy

You do nothing. The rear seat kind of rests on it but it mostly rests on the back of the front seats. Just like the original camping hinges.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinge Reply with quote

Curt_vw wrote:
I only asked because i have low back seats, and it would be nice to have the kit for summer sleeping in the square. Smile

If you have something you can put on the front seat to prop the back up a little it like the driver's seat (when it's resting on the steering wheel) then you'll be fine.

With the warmer weather (and a newly aquired Bay window camper Shocked ) I need to get some MIG gas ASAP.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'71 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinges ve Reply with quote

Are these things still available ? I cant find a website anywhere or any photos or information about the sleep in struts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinges ve Reply with quote

I got your message VW Logo

Yes, I still have a box of them but I don't have the S-hooks, in which a pair is desired if you have low-back seats (NOT required but nice to have). I have the jig and a sample S-hook, just haven't made any. The DDB closed-up and demand disappeared so there was no need for me to continue. My shop is a mess and my instructions/pictures are long gone Crying or Very sad I'll see what I can find this weekend.
The First Invasion
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinges ve Reply with quote

I can't find any installation documentation on these Crying or Very sad It was all on the original DDB web site and that is long gone. I don't have a T3 to test on, either. It is a simple setup, that I know. Also, I would need the seat bottom hinges as they need to have a slot cut in them which would allow the bottom seat to be easily removed (and of course they would be returned).
The First Invasion
danielheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinges ve Reply with quote

That page has been partially archived. View it here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090812040459/http://www.theddb.com/new/DDB_products/sleepin_struts.html

The photos are not there though.

I'd be interested in a pair as well.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinges ve Reply with quote

Wow, that's GREAT! Thanks for that Smile

However, I don't remember the whole procedure so pictures would still help me piece it together as it's been a few years Sad The present instructions might be enough, though.
The First Invasion
Seths_Square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: The DDB "sleep-in struts" (their Camping Hinges ve Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
Wow, that's GREAT! Thanks for that Smile

However, I don't remember the whole procedure so pictures would still help me piece it together as it's been a few years Sad The present instructions might be enough, though.

Hi mate, I realise I'm replying to this post from over a year ago but I'm on the hunt for some sleep-in struts. Have you still got any sets? I'm in the UK but happy to discuss shipping.

It would need the S bracket as they're lowback front seats but again I'm happy to discuss options, I'd just really like to get my hands on a set.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: