Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What beer are you drinking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
MacLeod Willy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
I am curious about something. Does anyone know why micro beers in cans are so much more expensive than the same beer in bottles? A sixer of Sierra Nevada pale ale goes for @$7.00 in glass. Add $1.50 or more if it's in a can. Doesn't make sense.

I was told it is because cans are a one time use only but beer bottles can be reused multiple times to recoup some costs??

With returnable bottles, I can see that, I have not seen returnable bottles since the 80's. Aluminum and glass are easily recyclable, but aluminum is in much higher demand, hence the payment for cans at the recycle center. Glass has virtually no demand (unfortunately) so most municipalities that take glass for recycling at curbside, must pay to actually get rid of it.

Didn't realise that in the US there is no returns.
I don't think you can buy a bottle of beer in Canada without paying the return charge.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:

I don't think you can buy a bottle of beer in Canada without paying the return charge.

Its a "State" thing... Confused

The USA is stupid for not implementing the bottle deposit and recycle program.. IMO..

It used to be so simple to return the old soda pop bottles to ANY store for a deposit..
As kids we would scrounge the ditches looking for bottle deposit cash..
Make a buck or more a day sometimes.. just riding our bikes..

And now... bottles are just tossed.....
If any recycle program were put in place to make it simple... and even profitable things might actually be recycled.. and cleaned up..

I think it all boiled down to its cheaper to simply replace than pick up, store and safely clean bottles.

Thats just my 2 bits...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

And you were the king if you were the first to find a 36oz bottle for the 25c return Very Happy
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

And you were the king if you were the first to find a 36oz bottle for the 25c return Very Happy

Dang right... we'd arm wrestle over the big un's Laughing

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I think it all boiled down to its cheaper to simply replace than pick up, store and safely clean bottles.

This. The energy and resources consumed to recycle glass is not worth the cost to do it. Easier to crush and bury it. The only upside to this is, at least glass is relatively inert. It won't poison ground water, etc. Still seems to be wasteful, though.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok hear it go's.stupid question. Im not a drinker,dont like beer, but I did notice there dont seem to be any wine coolers any more......there all flavored beer or flavored malt bevrage. so....did the wine people get pissed and start some crap it was cutting into thier terrortory or somethen??? I got some white lightning/moonshine from wallyworld,it says it's flavored beer too!!!it's gotta little kick to it,not much but a little.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen wine coolers in years. I think hard lemonade and hard cider have stepped in to take their place.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine coolers are pretty much gone... wine spritzers take the place..

Coolers/Spritzers are easy enough to make..

Just get a bottle of wine you like, some fruit you like, some sparkling water or even better sparkling wine..
Frozen fruit works well as it helps keep it cooler.
Mix the fruit and base wine in a glass or pitcher is best.. cause you will drink more than one.. ... let it sit a while for optimum flavor. 30 min is ok. 6 hours in the fridge... better.

During serving, Add COLD sparkling water, or better yet... sparkling wine to each glass. (your ratio)

Stir gently and drink.
If you dont want any fruit... strain it as you pour..

Easier way... a good cold sangria and cold sparkling water...ahem Wink ...or sparkling wine.... Mix to the ratio you like..

Tahdah.. Wine cooler...

I make em for the ladies..... Laughing .

Yeah a little Ziiiiinnnggg there.... Wink Just joking..
In reality... Ill drink just about anything.... and a good cold wine cooler or spritzer, or the like is fine with me on a hot Summer's Eve.. Laughing ( semi hidden additional zing)

Im not a fan of the Cold Apple stuff... I do like hot cider though...
Oh and ... home brewed "Apple Pie"..

Usually and often edited
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samuel Adams Winter Lager. Opposite of an IPA? rather than bitter afterwards, hits ou right up front. Solid enough beer, but nothing special.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A great trippel unless it's served too cold (as this was) at a Pub in Rochester Minnesota.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying a No Li Wrecking Ball Imperial Stout tonight. Gottamm! this stuff is good.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alesmith IPA and a Caldera Hash IPA

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that Italy has some really, really good micro-brews. Tuscany alone has over 250 different breweries. Currently I'm enjoying "Duo Cylindre" or 2-cylinder stout brewed in Lucca. It is $10 a 16 oz bottle (ouch) but I'm not complaining..it is that good. What a relief to have good beer again. I spent 3 months in Bavaria,Germany where the beer has gone totally to shit thanks to meddling by the state. Morrietti Rosa (red) is also a very drinkable beer available in any store (about $2/bottle). I know Colorado has made me a beer snob....
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a big day. I'm finishing it ff with an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial stout. Then I'll sleep.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nwcn.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/.../22234765/
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
http://www.nwcn.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/.../22234765/

As noted in the piece, if you can't beat them, buy them & also from the piece, some prefer to support independents - which would be me.
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^this really sucks. I hope it does not spell the future for craft beer. A-B knows nothing about craft beer; just look at their offerings. I vote with my dollars and will not be buying Elysian or any other horse piss A-B products.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone can be bought... money isnt everything.
Id be willing to bet there will be 10 pop up for each one thats bought out.
It seems the craft market is growing daily.
I am thankful

Even though Sam Adams is getting larger and larger... it still produces stable and good products.

I picked up a current SA seasonal case.
So far been through the Cold Snap and the Escape Route.
Good stuff...

With a new East Coast Brewery NEW Sierra Nevada is showing up weekly.... cant wait to dive into those.
Usually and often edited
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
MacLeod Willy wrote:

The USA is stupid for not implementing the bottle deposit and recycle program.. IMO..

It used to be so simple to return the old soda pop bottles to ANY store for a deposit..

Sorry for the delayed chime in. California has a "Redemption Value" (CRV) levy placed on all "non-food" beverage containers except wine and hard liquor. So all beer and soda cans and bottles, along with plastic water bottles that are marked CRV can be redeemed at recycling centers. I make $60-80 every 2-3 months. On the beer side of things, I just tried some of BJ's Brewhouse (a SoCal chain) Oasis Ale and Nutty Brewnette Ale right out of the keg--on my patio. Have to admit I had some help. Cool Good stuff.
If any recycle program were put in place to make it simple... and even profitable things might actually be recycled.. and cleaned up..

Thats just my 2 bits...

Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
MacLeod Willy wrote:

Sorry for the delayed chime in. California has a "Redemption Value" (CRV) levy placed on all "non-food" beverage containers except wine and hard liquor. So all beer and soda cans and bottles, along with plastic water bottles that are marked CRV can be redeemed at recycling centers. I make $60-80 every 2-3 months. On the beer side of things, I just tried some of BJ's Brewhouse (a SoCal chain) Oasis Ale and Nutty Brewnette Ale right out of the keg--on my patio. Have to admit I had some help. Cool Good stuff.

Thats just my 2 bits...

When we go kart racing in the States, the lack of recycling drives my Ol' Lady nuts. (Even more so than normal). We'll bring along a couple of huge plastic bags, fill 'em up with bottles, cans, plastic, glass, aluminum etc. and bring it all back home with us. A little extreme maybe, but we recycle everything at home. The locals just shake their heads at us.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Page 121 of 161

Jump to: