Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What beer are you drinking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
MacLeod Willy wrote:

Didn't realise that in the US there is no returns.
I don't think you can buy a bottle of beer in Canada without paying the return charge.

Its a "State" thing... Confused

The USA is stupid for not implementing the bottle deposit and recycle program.. IMO..

It used to be so simple to return the old soda pop bottles to ANY store for a deposit..
As kids we would scrounge the ditches looking for bottle deposit cash..
Make a buck or more a day sometimes.. just riding our bikes..

Sorry for the delayed chime in. California has a "Redemption Value" (CRV) levy placed on all "non-food" beverage containers except wine and hard liquor. So all beer and soda cans and bottles, along with plastic water bottles that are marked CRV can be redeemed at recycling centers. I make $60-80 every 2-3 months. On the beer side of things, I just tried some of BJ's Brewhouse (a SoCal chain) Oasis Ale and Nutty Brewnette Ale right out of the keg--on my patio. Have to admit I had some help. Cool Good stuff.
And now... bottles are just tossed.....
If any recycle program were put in place to make it simple... and even profitable things might actually be recycled.. and cleaned up..

I think it all boiled down to its cheaper to simply replace than pick up, store and safely clean bottles.

Thats just my 2 bits...

When we go kart racing in the States, the lack of recycling drives my Ol' Lady nuts. (Even more so than normal). We'll bring along a couple of huge plastic bags, fill 'em up with bottles, cans, plastic, glass, aluminum etc. and bring it all back home with us. A little extreme maybe, but we recycle everything at home. The locals just shake their heads at us.

Lots of places in the US recycle glass, etc. But it costs a lot of money and uses a lot of resources. In some situations, it does not make economic sense.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust Schwarzviertler Dunkel. Thanks to a German friend. Very clean malt, bright, and dry finish. A well made beer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Lots of places in the US recycle glass, etc. But it costs a lot of money and uses a lot of resources. In some situations, it does not make economic sense.

Actually in nearly ALL situations, recycling glass costs money and is in no way profitable. Additionally, downcycling glass is not really all that good for the environment.

My parents worked at a recycle center for years. There was a rumor that a lot of the chipped "recycled" glass from the US bound for Asia got dumped about midway there (this was the 80's, so things may have changed).

Back on topic:

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I believe it. So many possible uses, but it's easier to make new stuff.

On topic...

Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
MacLeod Willy wrote:

Didn't realise that in the US there is no returns.
I don't think you can buy a bottle of beer in Canada without paying the return charge.

Its a "State" thing... Confused

The USA is stupid for not implementing the bottle deposit and recycle program.. IMO..

It used to be so simple to return the old soda pop bottles to ANY store for a deposit..
As kids we would scrounge the ditches looking for bottle deposit cash..
Make a buck or more a day sometimes.. just riding our bikes..

Sorry for the delayed chime in. California has a "Redemption Value" (CRV) levy placed on all "non-food" beverage containers except wine and hard liquor. So all beer and soda cans and bottles, along with plastic water bottles that are marked CRV can be redeemed at recycling centers. I make $60-80 every 2-3 months. On the beer side of things, I just tried some of BJ's Brewhouse (a SoCal chain) Oasis Ale and Nutty Brewnette Ale right out of the keg--on my patio. Have to admit I had some help. Cool Good stuff.
And now... bottles are just tossed.....
If any recycle program were put in place to make it simple... and even profitable things might actually be recycled.. and cleaned up..

I think it all boiled down to its cheaper to simply replace than pick up, store and safely clean bottles.

Thats just my 2 bits...

When we go kart racing in the States, the lack of recycling drives my Ol' Lady nuts. (Even more so than normal). We'll bring along a couple of huge plastic bags, fill 'em up with bottles, cans, plastic, glass, aluminum etc. and bring it all back home with us. A little extreme maybe, but we recycle everything at home. The locals just shake their heads at us.

OK, somehow I managed to kill my original message. Here in CA we have a redemption value on beer and soda bottles and cans and plastic water bottles. I get $60-80 every couple months redeeming my containers. As for beer, BJ's Brewhouse (a local SoCal chain) Oasis Ale and Nutty Brewnette Ale out of the keg on my patio this last weekend (I had some help)---nice. Cool
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: holy shit
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Apparently Idaho does not get jipped on the beer distribution.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to do a little hunting to find it. And pay twenty bucks for a bottle! But it was worth it this time.
Hophead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Barrel Aged Bigfoot should be available in Feb......

By the way.... that is not the right glass!
P&P 043 40x35.5
9.6-1 comp
FK-8
48 IDA
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hophead wrote:

By the way.... that is not the right glass!

hahaha...

Feel free to hook us up with the right ones....please.. Wink

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a photo stolen off the interwebs. But I am sure the glass I used was wrong, too. I am a beer snob, but not that snobby. Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like bear Shocked oops beer. but much to my supprize.....wine coolers are beer Shocked thus the reason there not called wine coolers anymore.go figure.so...does this mean I like beer??? Shocked what could be worse im already driving a vw. Wink
Hophead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just teasing.......the shape is good. Just the logo.

With a few exceptions I do not get too picky about my glassware either.

Most everthing goes through a traditional british pint glass.

For those living in NC looking for glass ware, You should visit our new facility in Fletcher. Quite the nice place. The restaurant opens in a month or so.
P&P 043 40x35.5
9.6-1 comp
FK-8
48 IDA
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA! I never even looked at the logo, I just saw the shape of the glass. Very Happy
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lunch today -

Thought it more a porter than stout. Good none the less. Dinner tonight -

well done Belgian style beer - spicey
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night....
Miller High Life Light.... Thats my goto el cheapo stuff...
Just been one of those weeks... Laughing and it was definitely Miller time..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live near SLC, drink Unita beer. The Hop Nosh is an excellent IPA, Baba is a great dark lager, I don't know the name of the porter but it is amazing.
Also, if you are in the Ouray area of Colorado, stop by the Ouray Brewery, their IPA is great, too. AND...if you're in Montrose Co, or Ridgway, eat pizza and drink beer at Colorado Boy Pizza, best pizza ever. Beers aren't bad, either.

Seriously, Unita.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
If you live near SLC, drink Unita beer. The Hop Nosh is an excellent IPA, Baba is a great dark lager, I don't know the name of the porter but it is amazing.
Also, if you are in the Ouray area of Colorado, stop by the Ouray Brewery, their IPA is great, too. AND...if you're in Montrose Co, or Ridgway, eat pizza and drink beer at Colorado Boy Pizza, best pizza ever. Beers aren't bad, either.

Seriously, Unita.

Uinta Brewing. Not Unita.

Just had some of their winter beer. Not bad. Looking forward to some of their other selections.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diving deeper into a Sam Adams current seasonal pack Crystal Pale Ale.
Good with a nice light hoppy flavor.

Went out for dinner to a super local hidden gem restaurant which has a very nice selection of micros.
Had a draft Torch Pilsner from from Foothills Brewery (NC). Very nice beer so finished and repeated.
Usually and often edited
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
rosevillain wrote:

Seriously, Unita.

Uinta Brewing. Not Unita.

Just had some of their winter beer. Not bad. Looking forward to some of their other selections.

Uinta, like the mountains. I don't know what happened there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Page 122 of 161

Jump to: