Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Light rust on cylinder fins ok?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Light rust on cylinder fins ok? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I was power washing the undercarriage of my 74 Thing and noticed the cylinder fins are lightly rusted. Is this normal with the aging process?
I live in Florida and the humidity is surely the cause, I have been having some overheat issues this summer and have checked everything but the timing. Could this be causing some of the problem?

I say overheating but have yet to get an accurate temp reading as my digital turkey thermometer only says "HI" after it hits 210 Deg. The symptom is that when the car runs for a little while the power drops off and it begins chugging if i push the gas pedal to try to get any acceleration. It gets progressively worse unless I let it sit for 20-30 min, after which it runs ok for another 5-10 miles.

Temps do seem to vary from the oil diptube to the Cylinder fins. I let it Idle up for 5-7 minutes the other day and the oil was showing 178 Deg while the cylinder fins were above the 210 deg or "HI" mark.
Should the fins be reading the same as the oil?

The engine is aprox 2 years old.

Things I've changed/fixed recently (maybe I screwed something up)
New belt, (blew the old one on the highway)
New Distributor cap (bought the listed one from nearest parts store)
I made sure i had the wires on the right plugs and it runs fine when I start it.

Since the overheating I've changed/replaced
Fuel filter (it was black)
Fuel pump (it was old)
Fresh fuel lines
Pulled the airflow tins off and made sure no obstructions (this is where I found the light rust, very good airflow btw)
Changed to a lighter weight oil
Degreased/Pressure washed the undercarriage to get rid of oil/grease/gunk
New air filter

I'm taking the car in to the mechanic to get some pesky oil seals redone, and I'll be asking him the same questions, but I was hoping I could go in there with some foreknowledge of what my issue is.

Thanks all, Shamu
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, buy a Berg Oil Temp dip stick and check your timing.

dog
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light rust on barrels is of no consequence. In fact, clean dry rust increases the surface area and might aid coolling!

What oil seals are you replacing?

Poor timing will cause overheating and you should start there.
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok excellent, mainly the only thing i havent checked is the timing.... Never done it, dunno how.

The seals being replaced? Unsure as it only started leaking after I had a local oil shop change the oil, and the guy put in 4 quarts instead of 2.5. Being my first VW I had no idea until it started leaking. So, I'm taking it in to get the leak ID'd and hopefully fixed.

I'll have the mechanic check the timing and anything else I can think of. I usually get them to teach me a little of what they are doing when they do it. Maybe I can get him to show me how to check timing.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Light rust on barrels is of no consequence. In fact, clean dry rust increases the surface area and might aid coolling!

actually rust is an excellent insulator...even light rust on the barrels can hurt the heat transfer....but barrels get plenty of cooling and will be just fine with surface rust...

GEX has. Just sayin
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity, are there aluminum cylinder fins?
J.R. Svaren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: aluminum cylinders Reply with quote

Yup! Just be ready to empty your bank account $$$$$$
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamu63 wrote:
ok excellent, mainly the only thing i havent checked is the timing.... Never done it, dunno how.

The seals being replaced? Unsure as it only started leaking after I had a local oil shop change the oil, and the guy put in 4 quarts instead of 2.5. Being my first VW I had no idea until it started leaking. So, I'm taking it in to get the leak ID'd and hopefully fixed.

I'll have the mechanic check the timing and anything else I can think of. I usually get them to teach me a little of what they are doing when they do it. Maybe I can get him to show me how to check timing.

Where are you located? If you are in the Orlando area, feel free to drop by and I'll show you how to check and set your timing.

As for the oil leak, a healthy engine will sling oil from the pulley area if it is over-filled. Is it still leaking after you lowered the oil level to the proper amount?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: aluminum cylinders Reply with quote

Shamu63 wrote:
out of curiosity, are there aluminum cylinder fins?

J.R. Svaren wrote:
Yup! Just be ready to empty your bank account $$$$$$

Oh yeah!

http://www.lnengineering.com/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.lnengineering.com/type1.html

Nickies™ Cylinders - $2049

Most get them for their superior cooling properties and better performance, not just to cut down on surface rust Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those prices are, as my Guatemalan buddy says "Expensier!"

I'm in west orlando, bout a mile from the metro west area.
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamu63 wrote:
I'm in west orlando, bout a mile from the metro west area.

I'm downtown in the Thornton Park area. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want drop by and we'll see what's up with your timing.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I had a local oil shop change the oil, and the guy put in 4 quarts instead of 2.5. Being my first VW I had no idea until it started leaking. So, I'm taking it in to get the leak ID'd and hopefully fixed."

Yikes! That much oil might blow out a flywheel seal, requiring engine removal and clutch replacement. Hopefully that didn't happen to you, but if your clutch starts slipping, bingo. Check for oil dripping at the bottom seam between the engine and tranny.

The only external "seals" in the VW are flywheel, pushrod, and valve cover (and maybe a pully "sand seal" on a buggy). Others are internal and won't cause leaks. All but VC gaskets require engine removal and some disassembly to replace.

I pulled my T3 motor and replaced those seals--a lot of work but mine was so dirty and oily after years of sitting following dirt road driving I had no choice.

That oil change place may be in for a big bill. Make sure a VW shop does the inspection.
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil is coming from the area where the engine hooks up to the trans area... so I'm thinking thats the spot. It's not a huge leak just a silver dollar sized spot on the ground each morning, the clutch is good still. It's been a few months since the overfill, and just the small leak so I'm hoping its just that one seal. The mechanic is VW certified so I should be good there.

If the timing were off, wouldn't the car run rough?

My typical startup routine is to give the gas one good stomp, turn the engine over and it starts right up. I do have to keep the pedal pressed a little to keep the engine running until it warms up, (2 min?) after this it runs/idles fine until it gets hot and starts chugging when i press the gas.

Question, If they do wind up pulling the motor to fix the seals, would this be a good time to have them work over other areas of the engine? If so, which ones? It runs fine except for the overheat issues and I wouldn't mind getting out cheaper rather than expensive.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs hot or poorly when warmed, check all the regular "tune-up" things: valves, dwell and timing, carb adjustment. See what your plugs look like, too, after a long run at regular/high speeds. These steps often reveal what is amiss. Until those things are right, diagnosis will be just a guessing game.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yikes! That much oil might blow out a flywheel seal, requiring engine removal and clutch replacement. Hopefully that didn't .

no it won't. why do folks still pass on this load?

GEX has. Just sayin
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Light rust on cylinder fins ok? Reply with quote

Shamu63 wrote:
Hey guys, I was power washing the undercarriage of my 74 Thing and noticed the cylinder fins are lightly rusted. Is this normal with the aging process?
I live in Florida and the humidity is surely the cause, I have been having some overheat issues this summer and have checked everything but the timing. Could this be causing some of the problem?

I say overheating but have yet to get an accurate temp reading as my digital turkey thermometer only says "HI" after it hits 210 Deg. The symptom is that when the car runs for a little while the power drops off and it begins chugging if i push the gas pedal to try to get any acceleration. It gets progressively worse unless I let it sit for 20-30 min, after which it runs ok for another 5-10 miles.

Temps do seem to vary from the oil diptube to the Cylinder fins. I let it Idle up for 5-7 minutes the other day and the oil was showing 178 Deg while the cylinder fins were above the 210 deg or "HI" mark.
Should the fins be reading the same as the oil?

The engine is aprox 2 years old.

Things I've changed/fixed recently (maybe I screwed something up)
New belt, (blew the old one on the highway)
New Distributor cap (bought the listed one from nearest parts store)
I made sure i had the wires on the right plugs and it runs fine when I start it.

Since the overheating I've changed/replaced
Fuel filter (it was black)
Fuel pump (it was old)
Fresh fuel lines
Pulled the airflow tins off and made sure no obstructions (this is where I found the light rust, very good airflow btw)
Changed to a lighter weight oil
Degreased/Pressure washed the undercarriage to get rid of oil/grease/gunk
New air filter

I'm taking the car in to the mechanic to get some pesky oil seals redone, and I'll be asking him the same questions, but I was hoping I could go in there with some foreknowledge of what my issue is.

Thanks all, Shamu

First of all, you have to know, How hot is your engine?? That means that you have to buy a better thermometer to know how hot it is. Very Happy
What weight of oil are you using in your engine. Remember where we live in Fl you have to use a heavier weight oil because with lighter oil you loose viscosity quickly and your engine do not get oiled properly.
After you check your timing, also check your spark plugs, spark plugs are rated from cold to hot, just check that are in good condition and the heat rate.
And engine temp and oil temp are two different things. Just you have to know which one is giving you the problem.
I almost forgot, if your oil is too light you will have oil leaks.

Regards,
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil, I've been running 10w30
Oil temp after a 20 min or so drive is around 193F
I had no idea there were "hot" and "cold" plugs, I'll check mine to see what I've got. (I forgot to add I had changed these when I changed the distributor and plug wires) They look good though and aren't oily or burnt.
I'll see if i cant find a better thermometer at Wally world today.

Shamu
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mines from CB performance, head temp and oil temp. On oil temperature I like to see from 180 to 220 F, others can say more about oil temps but I like to see it close to 212 F due that the boiling point of water, that means that any humidity inside the case will be taking care off quickly.
If your engine is hotter than 350F then you have a problem, could be the thermostat or obstructed louvers in the engine cooling system.

I have a laser thermometer from Autozone for a quick reading, is very accurate, you can try that. Temp the heads and the oil sump and see the difference.

Regards,
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamu63 wrote:
Oil, I've been running 10w30
Oil temp after a 20 min or so drive is around 193F
I had no idea there were "hot" and "cold" plugs, I'll check mine to see what I've got. (I forgot to add I had changed these when I changed the distributor and plug wires) They look good though and aren't oily or burnt.
I'll see if i cant find a better thermometer at Wally world today.

Shamu

10w30 is pretty light for a Florida summer. I run 15w40 all year round, but could get away with 20w50 in summer around here.
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh wow, ok... next thing is drain and change the oil. I also bought the "coolest" plugs they had in stock, and I'll be changing them when the engine and day cools down a bit.

I just picked up a new digital thermometer that hits 450F (My autozone doesn't stock the laser ones)

After driving home (total time driving there and back with extra stops, 40 min or so) the cylinder fins were at 291.2F and the oil was 202.4F.

Also, I bought a timing light so i can learn how to do this myself.

Shamu
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: