Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 muffler
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chase850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: 74 muffler Reply with quote

has anyone else noticed that the aftermarket replacement mufflers for a '74 are much louder than the factory originals? My 74 thing with factory muffler (with a hole in it) was much quieter than the new replacement I installed to replace it.

It seems that whoever is making these mufflers must have copied the muffler internals from a bug muffler (which would have had the 2 pea shooters to further quiet the noist). i bet the internals for the factory thing muffler were different from and thus quieter than the bug muffler. it would be nice if someone would manufacture one which is as quiet as the original. Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly true. a 74 thing muffler has the dampner pipe built into the exhaust pipe internally. the thing repro muffler is a beetle can with some pipes welded to the end. a beetle peashooter muffler has no baffles, but the peashooter act as dampners. if you take a beetle muffler and put the tail pipes right onto the end, it will not sound correct and will be louder. when i made my one-off repro 74 muffler i cut open a trashed original to understand how it was made and saw that there was an internal dampner, and also some small baffles. in effect the stub pipe is like the peasooter, but internal. i could not include the baffles, but what i did was make the pipe stub at the end of the muffler extend into the muffler body about 10 inches. this pipe is drilled with about 40 holes and has a cap on its end, so the exhaust must enter the tailpipe stub through the small holes. this makes the muffler sound pretty close to the orignal.
chase850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: 74 muffler Reply with quote

thanks Scott, have you considered manufacturing your design so our things wouldn't be so loud?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just buy an original style/ NOS exhaust?

http://germanmotorworks.com/catalog/product_info.p...f233b71e48
pewe_kodok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott, do you any stock 74 mufller picture?

I had replace my muffler, want to compare my new mufller with stock one

thanks
chase850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181, the one you referenced is NOT New Old Stock. it is a cheap replacement which is MUCH louder than the original. If there were any NOS around, I would buy one.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are a few shots of when i made the repro muffler. i used real tailpipes, a beetle muffler and some waterjet cut pieces. the stubs are brazed and welded to the beetle muffler and extend deeply into it, capped on the insde end and many holes drilled into them. i did not take photos of the parts and pieces used to make the muffler. some day i might get more made. they would be expensive, probably about 400.00 retail. i wasn't able to find anyone who could bend the tailpipes for me, they have to be mandrel bent at a very small radius in small tubing. it can be done for sure, but i just never was able to get it together to make them once my own was done. it looks pretty good, almost original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is it on the car with some black paint and the bumpers painted:

this is the real mccoy:

Last edited by germansupplyscott on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics posted
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey who's stick girl? ;)

I like the idea of using beetle mufflers and converting them!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
Hey who's stick girl? Wink

my wifey.

she is a knitter, that's where the stik come from. the thing is her car more than it is mine.
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these Danish reproduction '74-style mufflers on my Thing, and I am a little disappointed in that it is loud and I miss the fweem sound.

This may be idiotic, but does anyone know if baffling can be added to the tail pipes of the reproduction muffler? I know that bug pea shooters are straight and the baffles would not be able to follow the bends of the '74 Thing tail pipes, but even if we were talking about adding a short piece of baffling to the ends before the first bend, it may be an improvement.

Thoughts?
chase850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: 74 Muffler Reply with quote

bciesq,
When I installed my LOUD cheap imitation replacement muffler. I held beetle pea-shooters up to the tail pipes. It was amazing how sweet and normal it sounded, fweem and all! That is what led me to the epiphany that the internals of a thing muffler just HAD to be different form the internals of a beetle muffler. I am going to try to find a local welding shop that can customize some outlet pipes through the original bumper holes which will incorporate the pea-shooters to regain the proper sound.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would try removing the outlet pipes on the repro muffler and making the dampner happen inside the muffler. this is how it was done on the original unit and it will sound right.
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Motorworks purchased DANSK 74 THING muffler on THING 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29767151@N04/3214132871/

Original THING muffler on THING 2 a little beat from previous owner but still in great shape, will be taken off in the spring and taken care of and put back on THING 2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29767151@N04/3215124084/
Anchorage, AK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: