Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

See through 34 Pict-3 next? Understanding carbs
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: See through 34 Pict-3 next? Understanding carbs Reply with quote

Not VW specific, but some do have carburetors right?

I just watched this amazing video with some of the best high speed videography I've seen... on a see through, homemade carburetor no less. Really unlocks the mystery of the damned little things. Plus, these guys are actually rocket scientist smart rednecks.. So pretty entertaining too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toVfvRhWbj8
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: See through 34 Pict-3 next? Understanding carbs Reply with quote

I keep thinking that I wish this video was available back in 1981 when I went through A&P school. Thanks for sharing this. Modern photography rocks
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: See through 34 Pict-3 next? Understanding carbs Reply with quote

The favorite/best carb for me, understanding surface tension of the fuel versus the air flow, was/is the Mikuni BN 38 / 44 series fitted to jet skis, actually a mechanical fuel injector capable of operation at any angle.
Once you study the flow diagrams & check valves & pulse valves & jet needles & orifices to run a 26hp Kawasaki two stroke, all these agricultural units just live next door!
And slightly simpler too. But not as elegant.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: See through 34 Pict-3 next? Understanding carbs Reply with quote

OP, thanks for sharing. My wife teaches high school engineering classes, I will be passing this along to her. Even if none of her students are gearheads, I’m sure they’ll find it interesting.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: See through 34 Pict-3 next? Understanding carbs Reply with quote

I've watched most of his stuff: It is the Smarter Every Day channel on YouTube. An honest to God mechanical engineer who specializes in high speed photography for the Army before he started on his Doctorate. And just a good old boy from Alabama, with a curiosity about everything: how we learn, applied math, fluid dynamics, and all presented in a way that a high school science class can understand. I wait for the drop every time a new episode is due.

webwalker
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: See through 34 Pict-3 next? Understanding carbs Reply with quote

Glad y'all enjoyed his video as much as I did. I can read about things all day long and they don't soak in like watching it in action.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: