Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Tank Reseal /Reinstalling. FAQ
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cc79westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Fuel Tank Reseal /Reinstalling. FAQ Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

A couple of issues I'd like to throw your way and hopefully get some insight on:
I just got a replacement fuel tank for my 79 Westfalia (F.I.). The inside of this tank is very clean, but I still wanted to reseal the inside of it. The thing I found out is that there is a screen inside the tank (to filter junk out?) The guy who was going to reseal it said he can't do it because of clogging this screen up with the por15 sealer that is used. Is there any way to overcome this, or does that screen rule out any chance of resealing it?
Also I was told that the new tank (off a 78 bus with F.I.) would not fit through the bulkhead cover of my 79 because this tank was too long and too fat. I planned to lower the engine enough to give me the room I needed and get it out through the bulkhead. So the only way is to drop the engine all the way and getting the tank out from the bottom? I trust the 78 tank will fit ok in the 79 compartment? Thanks for any assistance on these 2 issues.
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with the POR and the inner screen question

But I can tell you that the 78 tank WILL fit in a 79 body, they are the same

Shawn

1973 Westfalia, Camper Special with 75 FI. Automatic 003 . Non-pop top
1977 Porsche 911S Targa, 2.7 L with 5spd
1992 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon (SOLD)
1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hi-jack this but, when you remove a tank to seal it, what sealant do you use off the shelf that you can do yourself? Any special steps when doing my '70?
cc79westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought so too. It's good reassurance to hear it from someone else though.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterboy wrote:
Sorry to hi-jack this but, when you remove a tank to seal it, what sealant do you use off the shelf that you can do yourself? Any special steps when doing my '70?

Eastwood sells a kit for 50 bucks, and POR has a kit too, but I don't know how much it is. I'm sure there's also others out there...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sock in FI tanks (they all have 2 lines at the bottom of the tank 1 in and 1 out).

Best (and fastest) way to install in my opinion is to remove engine and slide it in. Don't forget the screws in the firewall attached from the bottom.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 71 bay panel and took out the tank for rehab and the outlet on the bottom was not leaking but needed to be removed to slide out tank. this aluminum fitting had no O ring or seal that I found upon removal.
Does this just thread back on and seal itself or does it require an O ring or seal of some type? if so where can I get it? thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aluminum washer built into the end of the filter sleeve is the seal, most replacement kits include a fiber washer.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209021G

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: