Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

filter pump with stock muffler
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goranothos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: filter pump with stock muffler Reply with quote

Very soon I will be using my '70 for a daily driver, approx 12000 miles a year, and I would like to install one of these so I can extend my oil change intervals to 3k:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D043%2D115%2D115

I am running a stock muffler with a 1600dp. Will the filter pump fit, or am I out of luck?
nc68bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it won't fit! Went through that problem Myself last year! Read the ad, it explains this, I also learned first hand! Scott
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goranothos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad doesn't explain anything. "May interfere with stock original mufflers." "May" means it might or might not. Who knows?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Goranothos,
"May" if the heat riser tube on the left front interfers with the filter used. Some modern day maker/s of "stock" mufflers have switched this tube to the right side.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242504&highlight=filter+pump

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nc68bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, should have elaborated, I had interference from the heat riser tube which dented in the filter and wouldn't allow removal of filter plus the fact that is was laying on the filter soaking up more heat, that was with a stock og muffler and risers! Scott
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73BuzzBomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: filter pump with stock muffler Reply with quote

Goranothos wrote:
I would like to install one of these so I can extend my oil change intervals to 3k:

How often are you changing the oil now? You can go 3K miles without the filter.
Goranothos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been changing oil every 1k miles, but only going 3k a year. Gonna switch it to a daily driver which will up it to 12k a year, most of which will be 60mph highway driving. Think I'll be OK with 3k oil changes with just the strainer?

Thanks for the info, guys. I have the heat riser tube on the left, so looks like it will interfere with the filter pump. Gonna have to either leave it stock or get a full flow system with rubber hoses.
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goranothos wrote:
Been changing oil every 1k miles, but only going 3k a year. Gonna switch it to a daily driver which will up it to 12k a year, most of which will be 60mph highway driving. Think I'll be OK with 3k oil changes with just the strainer?

Thanks for the info, guys. I have the heat riser tube on the left, so looks like it will interfere with the filter pump. Gonna have to either leave it stock or get a full flow system with rubber hoses.

Changing at 1K is overkill. Why not change at 2K and split the difference?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW recommended every 3,000 back in the old days. Oil technology has greatly improved since then. I am sure it will be fine with 3,000 mile intervals. I do mine every 3 to 5,000 with no issues so far.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
VW recommended every 3,000 back in the old days. Oil technology has greatly improved since then. I am sure it will be fine with 3,000 mile intervals. I do mine every 3 to 5,000 with no issues so far.

It's not the oil tech, but the fact the oil carries any small grit or metal shavings through the bearings. Having taken enough engines apart after a few tens of thousand miles since rebuild to find bearings scored by this stuff. With filter system the main bearings look brand new and each rod bearings only slightly polished in the thrust/pull directions of the piston. The less wear in the bearings, the less drop in oil pressure, and more longevity your engine can have.
Plus all the other surfaces that rub in the engine like P&Cs, cam lobes, and tappets, etc. all have that much less wear.
The oil filter/pump (Claude's Buggies one is best one made today) offers this protection, but without the oil hoses/lines that can fail on a remote filter.
With a filter setup one does not need to clean the sump plate. All that crud goes in the filter!!
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your stock muffler has the heat riser tube on the right side the pump will be fine. Many models used the tube on the right vs the left side. I just bought an NOS original German muffler here on the classified this week that has the tube on the right side. It was a 49 state 1974 muffler. I'll only need to put a pipe plug in the EGR port.
I've used mufflers with the tube on the left side but you must rebend the tube closer to the muffler and use a shorter oil filter.

With all that said although I agree a filter is a fine investment, VW's oil change intervals from way back when were already 3000 miles and I've routinely gotten 150,000 plus miles out of stock engines by simply changing the oil & cleaning the screen every 3000 miles and adjusting the valves every other oil change.
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
I just bought an NOS original German muffler here on the classified this week that has the tube on the right side. It was a 49 state 1974 muffler.

Sad You lucky dog!!!.

Nothing like finding good 'ol genuine parts! Razz

oemwolf
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's what we know:

Either the pump has to be modded to clear a LEFT heat riser tube on stock mufflers

OR

You use a stock muffler with a RIGHT heat riser tube and use any damn full flow filter-pump you want.

So can anyone recommend a STOCK style muffler manufacturer and model that has a RIGHT heat riser tube?

M
cdydatzigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
I just bought an NOS original German muffler here on the classified this week that has the tube on the right side. It was a 49 state 1974 muffler.

How much does anyone want to bet that the 50th state was California?

'69 Beetle Autostick

"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoooeee!

No bet.
abranz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitcooled .net sells the right OE german muffler which will not interfere with a filterpump. I have it on both of my beetles which have filterpumps.
Anthony
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: