Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

speaker enclosures
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: speaker enclosures Reply with quote

Anyone have plans for, or can post a pictures of, speaker enclosures that will fit in the given areas of the the Thing without drilling holes? I'd even be willing to use velcro, but don't want to put any more holes than I absolutely have to. I'm installing a stereo and want to put speakers under the dash down by feet in the 'holes' on the sides and behind the rear seats.

Or, if someone has enclosures that work that you want to sell, PM me.

Thanks,

Wayne
73 euro Bay camper (type 1 engine)
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's rear http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181RRS
They used to have front in their catalog, but couldnt find them. You may need to call or email them.
Mark
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that to properly install the Thing Shop panels, you'll need to drill small holes for the sheet metal screws (4 each for the front speakers, 5 each for the rear). I don't think it's a big deal -- it's nothing like cutting a big woofer-sized hole, and the tiny holes you'll need to drill are easily filled in, but I don't want you to order the Thing Shop panels under the assumption that you can install them with Velcro.

I used to have self-enclosed Radio Shack speakers on my back shelf attached with velcro strips, but velcro never lasts long-term. The adhesive gives out over time in the indoor/outdoor environment of a Thing interior. Plus, self-encloded speakers sound like crap, and rob interior space. I'm happy with The Thing Shop panels, since they sound decent enough and don't get in the way of anything. The only issue I ran into is I had to relocate my antenna a few inches to clear the back of one of the front drivers, forcing me to drill another hole! You may or may not have to -- since antennas were dealer installed, no two are in the exact same location.
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, check out this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236519&highlight=speaker
Mark
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made kick panels that fit down just in front of the front door. I used wide velcro along the front edge to attach these. You can cut them to shape and then fit the speaker either down in from the front or mount them on the back of the board. You can then cover the whole board with speaker grill cloth. They look just like kick panels then and most people won't even know you have speakers there. I will dig around and see if I have any pics of this modification. I put them in my last thing and then did a set for a friend of mine. I am going to do a set for my new Thing and I will try to remember to take pictures while I am doing it. It takes about 3-4 hours. First make cardboard templates and then transfer it to 1/2" or so MDF.

Good luck,
Craig
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream is to one day have a speaker system in a tube that runs across the back seats. It would bolt to the gun mounts. It might even have a lockable door and a small compartment for small parts. I have a few holes near the kickpanel area that PO made. I would never drill holes into the car. I think good design would'nt need to. Plenty of holes already, some with threads ready to be used.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Thing Shop panels. No screws. I just used industrial velcro to put the speakers in.

It allows for quick removal in case I need to lock them in the trunk. There are photos up in the Thing Gallery. Too busy at present to post again here...

Cheers!
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the thingshop one's just flat plastic that covers the cavities and have cut outs for the speakers? Or is there more to them?
wings_n_fins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my ol' weather-resistant boom-box just fine: I like how the sound resonates off the floor when I sit it at the passenger's feet Very Happy
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis71bug wrote:
Are the thingshop one's just flat plastic that covers the cavities and have cut outs for the speakers? Or is there more to them?

Ding! They also come with the speakers (or, you can forgo the speakers and save $19). They would probably sound better if the material was something more solid - like MDF - but then it would be a bit more expensive. I stuffed fiberglass behind them to help out the sound.

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181RTFS
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come flat from The Thing Shop. I ordered them without speakers as I wanted to do my system custom, i.e. to match radio output to speakers.

I went to Lowes and got a drill attachment hole cutter to allow installation of Blaupunkt speakers.

They actually sound fine with an iPod or with AM/FM/Cassette. No, no, not high end audio good, but good enough for a Thing without a top.
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done!

(I'll post pictures tomorrow, it's too late now!)

I found a local shop that sells cut-offs of acrylic and purchased a 4'x4' piece of 1/4" yellow acrylic (to match my thing) for $10 and cut out sections to cover the cavities. Then, I cut holes in the cut-outs for the speakers I had purchased, ran the wires, installed the speakers in the acrylic "enclosures" and mounted the enclosures with industrial strength velcro.

I think it looks pretty good and I finally have music in my Thing (not that the sounds the Thing makes aren't nice, but, you know)!

In a few hours, I'll see how it sounds on the drive to work at 60mph and see if the velcro holds.

Wayne
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on ya! Sounds like a good way to get the task done.

Let us know how it turns out.
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are. Not perfect, but work pretty good:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wayne
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have the Thing Shop front speaker mounts in my '73.

They are esentially just black, flat, plastic panels that are cut to fit over those two openings up front - call 'em kick panels, if you like.

Drilling is minimal and certainly not structural, but I can understand anyone's hesitancy to put holes in their Thing (I agonized over it too, but it's really not a big deal).

I will say, though, that unless you have more of a modern or powerful stereo, then don't bother getting them with speakers pre-installed. Since I was working with a stock Sapphire XXI, the stereo just didn't have the power to move the cones all tha much. I ended up going with stock VW speakers, re-mounting them in the panels, and calling it a day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: