Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What wheels fit - a simple supplement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: What wheels fit - a simple supplement Reply with quote

I know there is an ultimate thread running and some day I will consume enough coffee and aspirin to try to weed through it. Let me ask something simple before I go there ...

Do all 1980-91 Vanagons use the same bolt pattern and offset. If not, do they differ by year, syncro and non-syncro, and/or anything else?
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, Well let me see. All buses from 71-91 use the same bolt pattern. 5x112. As for offset, offhand I do not know what the steel wheels are but the alloys are 30et. And same goes for the syncro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2wd has a much larger front spindle/grease cap than the syncro. Requires the center of some wheels to be modified to fit.

Alloy wheels require longer bolts/studs than steelies.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......and the Syncro can handle a higher offset wheel better than a 2wd due to it's differing uprights and control arms.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: alloy wheels Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I know that the subject of alternate choices for Vanagon wheels has been beaten to death, however, even after reading 99% of the posts on the subject there is an issue that has never, hmm or almost not been clearly established.
Most of the lucky chaps who have adapted other wheels than stock to their Vanagons do not state whether they were upgrading from stock steel or alloy wheels which leads to my question as Hiram6 has said

hiram6 wrote:
Alloy wheels require longer bolts/studs than steelies.

Very clear. but should one then believe that Vanagon which are factory equipped with alloy wheels have longer bolts/studs originally and those factory equipped with steel wheels have shorter bolts/studs ?

Which leads to the second question/assumption. Should Vanagon originally fitted with factory alloys need longer blots/studs or can they keep their original bolts/studs when changing to other alloy wheels, such as but not limited to Mercedes, Audi, etc...

My questions basically apply to 15" wheels, not being interested in the 16, 17 or whatever larger wheels.

Thanks for all and any informative response
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 2wd and Syncro Vanagons came with the same stud lengths in the rear. The Syncro's all came with studs in the front however, 2wd's used bolts. The bolts and nuts for the steel wheels have a ball seat. The bolts and nuts for the factory alloy wheels have a conical (tapered). The factory alloys themselves are thinner than most other alloys where the shank passes through the wheel. This is what allows them to be used with the short rear studs. Most alloy wheels are thick enough in this area that they require longer studs and bolts.

There are a few wheels out there that can be installed using the stock, short wheels studs but these wheels have a somewhat high offset. This is okay on a Syncro and the rear of a 2wd but the front of the 2wd would need a spacer in order to clear the suspension components. This means longer wheel bolts obviously. What's a little less obvious is that if you add spacers to the front and not the rear (adding spacers to the rear would necessitate longer studs), the front track width will be greater than the rear. Not that it is the end of the world but it's not the best for handling or for looks.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just put some 16s from a 2007 jetta on my westy. gotta enlargethe center holes for 2wd but they fit with spacers, look sweet too. anything with 5x112 will fit, just might need some modifications here or there.

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
faith2es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Looking for tires for EV (225 60/16) >102 load rating Reply with quote

I am new to your website and would like direction to where i might find this info as i am sure that others are having a hard time finding tires this side with a load rating of >102.
thanks for your patience and directions to this info!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Nokian will have a 16 in that 225 /60 that will meet your 102 goals.

If not, I can't imagine anyone else that would.

If you want that 102 or better, you might have to be willing to flex a little on your tire size.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
chmielex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a pair of mercedes c class steel rims for my syncro and im planning on putting 29,5x9,5 15 maxxis buckshot on there but someone told me the rims themselves were weaker in the construction and might crack?
I was also planning on widening them (the rims) and was figuring it isnt very fun to put alot of time and work in a set of rims that is less than perfect?
kwikarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help! Will stock Eurovan 15's fit straight across to a 2wd 84 vanagon? If spacers needed how thick? I cant get to try one on first.
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwikarl wrote:
Help! Will stock Eurovan 15's fit straight across to a 2wd 84 vanagon? If spacers needed how thick? I cant get to try one on first.

No, centre bore is too small, as with other VAG rims.

If you want easy 15" steels, then Merc is (AIUI) the way to go. I've been doing a lot of looking into this, but the one potential gotcha seems to be that most older Mercs use M12 studs/bolts, whilst we use M14. Lots of people over on 80-90 have said they're using older Merc steels without any mod - but nobody's really confirmed for sure that our M14 studs/bolts will pass through the undrilled Merc M12-intended holes. Can anybody here confirm that for me?

chmielex wrote:
Ive got a pair of mercedes c class steel rims for my syncro and im planning on putting 29,5x9,5 15 maxxis buckshot on there but someone told me the rims themselves were weaker in the construction and might crack?

Steels don't tend to crack, they bend. Alloys crack. But a quick google suggests GVW for a W202 C-class is about 1900kg, vs our 2500kg. I seem to recall finding that for a W201 190 it's higher - about 2250kg. That sounds close enough for me, but if you're looking mid-90s onwards, then I'd probably look at W210 E-class rather than C-class. With Mercedes, my gut says "the older the better" - it's well known and documented that the W210 era was where the rot set in (quite literally...) with de-contenting and down-speccing the engineering.
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwikarl wrote:
If you want easy 15" steels, then Merc is (AIUI) the way to go. I've been doing a lot of looking into this, but the one potential gotcha seems to be that most older Mercs use M12 studs/bolts, whilst we use M14. Lots of people over on 80-90 have said they're using older Merc steels without any mod - but nobody's really confirmed for sure that our M14 studs/bolts will pass through the undrilled Merc M12-intended holes. Can anybody here confirm that for me?

I just picked up a set of 15 x 6 MBenz steel wheels so that I can have a spare that fits over my Audi brakes up front AND goes in the clamshell.

Trial fit one the other day and it slipped right on.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
I just picked up a set of 15 x 6 MBenz steel wheels so that I can have a spare that fits over my Audi brakes up front AND goes in the clamshell.

That sounds perfect. If you look at the part number on the wheel, what're the first three digits? They're the W-code model number of the car they're off.

What size tyres do you have on 'em, btw?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianC wrote:

No, centre bore is too small, as with other VAG rims.

Agreed! The Eurovan wheels also have higher offsets, so you will definitely need spacers and new wheel hardware.

AdrianC wrote:

I have helped many, many people install Mercedes steel wheels onto their Vanagons and every one of the steel wheels that were designed for 12mm wheel hardware (202, 203, 124, 208, etc.) have fit over the 14mm wheel hardware just fine (alloy wheels are a completely different story though). The stock Vanagon steel wheel lugs don't fit those wheels very well though, so small ball seat lugs are highly recommended.

AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
I have helped many, many people install Mercedes steel wheels onto their Vanagons and every one of the steel wheels that were designed for 12mm wheel hardware (202, 203, 124, 208, etc.) have fit over the 14mm wheel hardware just fine

Why didn't I just drop you a PM? <grin> I'll take that as utterly authoritative. Thank you very much.

Standard nuts & bolts?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianC wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

That sounds perfect. If you look at the part number on the wheel, what're the first three digits? They're the W-code model number of the car they're off.

What size tyres do you have on 'em, btw?

The wheel's part number is: 124 400 0602 ET49

I'm looking for a 195/75-15 or 205/65-15 to match the circumference of the 225/55-16s mounted on the road wheels.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Far_West
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: MK4 wheels Reply with quote

Would 15" wheels off a 2000 MK4 fit a 87' vanagon? Any help would be great.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: MK4 wheels Reply with quote

Far_West wrote:
Would 15" wheels off a 2000 MK4 fit a 87' vanagon?

The Mk4s use 5x100; so, no, they are not direct fits.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1189
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
would oem wheels (alloys) from 1999 audi A4, 15x7 with an ET39 fit an 86 2wd vanagon without needing any mods to the wheels? thanks!

Ps, this is an awesome site!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: