Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I love the idea of recreating a scene from an earlier time - or even recreating an existing photo taken from the exact location of the original...something compelling about historical photos like that. I find that you can find historical photos of days gone by in your location, then locate the addresses and view them on street view to see how the years have treated a place. My family is always irritated that I can tell them what a location "used to be"!

Here's my own take on a historical photo - this is my car only two years or so ago in front of an abandoned "street car garage" - where electric public transport cars would rest or be repaired. The last this building was used was before 1950, I believe, as by that time standard buses had replaced the rail lines here.

For added historical flair, I shot this with a Nikon F2 on some Tri-X - old school all around!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

So find a vintage photo of a location and place your Ghia there.
Then take the new shot same angle and distance?

Both framed to the same size would be interesting to see side by side.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:

You mean like this... Wink http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7632374#7632374
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
SoCalJes wrote:

You mean like this... Wink http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7632374#7632374

That's it! There are hundreds of stories between those two pictures. You have a great car and eye for the camera.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Using Google Earth Streetview I've been trying to identify the ideal location. I've got a few so far but of course I can only be in one place at a time...I have to choose the best one.

Isn't that why PhotoShop software was created?

Take your shots of all the various backgrounds whenever the weather/lighting conditions are ideal, then add your car and the train in at your convenience.
Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Using Google Earth Streetview I've been trying to identify the ideal location. I've got a few so far but of course I can only be in one place at a time...I have to choose the best one.

Isn't that why PhotoShop software was created?

Take your shots of all the various backgrounds whenever the weather/lighting conditions are ideal, then add your car and the train in at your convenience.
Wink

Oh believe me I've run through all the possible problems...that's why I'm planning ahead.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I’m already anticipating your picture based on the location shot. Which direction will the train be heading?

When I imagine that particular shot, In addition to being an amazing photograph, for some reason I’m picturing it as being an excellent shot to make a puzzle from. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
I’m already anticipating your picture based on the location shot. Which direction will the train be heading?

When I imagine that particular shot, In addition to being an amazing photograph, for some reason I’m picturing it as being an excellent shot to make a puzzle from. Cool

Ha! I have an uneasy feeling I'm setting myself up for a fall...what could possibly go wrong? Wink

Although that first picture was in a nice rural setting...the Ghia was certainly going to be the dominant feature...a bit odd really when the steam engine in question is a national icon and my Ghia is just another nice Ghia.

To redress the balance I've found the ideal location to show both train and Ghia off to best effect...hopefully. I went out this afternoon and shot this...

All we need now is the train. Very Happy BTW Bob the train will be travelling in the same direction as the Ghia.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
bobnorman wrote:

Ha! I have an uneasy feeling I'm setting myself up for a fall...what could possibly go wrong? Wink

Although that first picture was in a nice rural setting...the Ghia was certainly going to be the dominant feature...a bit odd really when the steam engine in question is a national icon and my Ghia is just another nice Ghia.

To redress the balance I've found the ideal location to show both train and Ghia off to best effect...hopefully. I went out this afternoon and shot this...

All we need now is the train. Very Happy BTW Bob the train will be travelling in the same direction as the Ghia.

FWIW, a Ghia travelling in the opposite direction of the train on the same track would probably make the most challenging puzzle.

Hey John, how about posting a color version of that last picture ... pretty please.
(absolutely stunning photo, as usual!)
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
bobnorman wrote:

FWIW, a Ghia travelling in the opposite direction of the train on the same track would probably make the most challenging puzzle.

Hey John, how about posting a color version of that last picture ... pretty please.
(absolutely stunning photo, as usual!)

I knew you were going to ask that...I have a worts and all picture in colour but you'll notice in the b&w version I've eliminated a lot of "street clutter" and electricity pylons on the horizon. When the train passes in 2 weeks time it will cover the pylons but I will get rid of extraneous street signs and the occasional small boy who dares to stroll into the picture. Wink

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John,
How many cameras are you going to use? Just the one? Can it do multiple frames? Hand held or on a tripod?

Nicholas
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
John,
How many cameras are you going to use? Just the one? Can it do multiple frames? Hand held or on a tripod?

Nicholas

Ah permutations?? I have 2 20+mg pixel cameras that shoot continuous AF frames (1 full frame one with a smaller sensor) and I also have a 12mg pixel camera that shoots continuous AF frames but for all that, I only have one tripod. Laughing

One other plus on the chosen location is that it’s about 300 yards from a rail junction and all trains have to slow to take a tight left-hander so when passing the train will probably be doing less than 30mph. Very Happy

I will use my full frame hand held, set to shutter priority with me standing on a small step ladder for a raised viewpoint. The other 20 mg pixel camera will be set on the tripod to shoot a bit of video.

That’s the outward journey…the return journey which runs 2 miles from my home is a different matter…more on that later. Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Just 8 days to go before...success or failure...

This afternoon I went and took a few test shots for the train's return journey. At this stage I should either feel jubilant (having successfully captured the outward leg) or desperate not to mess up again. Wink Here's the chosen spot for the return journey with a boring two carriage diesel train.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Just 8 days to go before...success or failure...

This afternoon I went and took a few test shots for the train's return journey. At this stage I should either feel jubilant (having successfully captured the outward leg) or desperate not to mess up again. ;) Here's the chosen spot for the return journey with a boring two carriage diesel train.

No, John, with respect. There is no such thing as a "boring" train, or ship, or classic car.

PS My daughter-in-law has shown me how to convert my photos to monochrome. So I'll try to put my Ghia in a good spot soon and follow your example of a classis car in a classic setting.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

This picture has always inspired me Chris...maybe the greatest car/train picture ever??

I have a bookful of O Winston Link classic black & whites...if you're not familiar with his work... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=o+winston+link+p...yiNU_6M%3A
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

The afternoon of the 21st came and the attendant publicity attached to the visit of the iconic steam loco "Flying Scotsman" ensured I would be sharing my chosen favoured location with hundreds of others. Sad

I suppose I was naive to think it would appeal to just the hardcore railway enthusiast...and me. It turned out that "the world and his wife" had other ideas.

I got there early but it soon became apparent with the steady influx of cars and people the place was going to be grid-locked. At least I was right...it was the perfect location. Rain showers turned into a continued down-pour and the folk who were now lining the fence put up their large golfing umbrellas. Even with a step-ladder I wasn't going to get any decent pictures.

About 40 minutes before the train was due I packed up and drove to one of my back-up locations about a mile up the track. A lot of people there too but having taken some stock pictures a few weeks ago I was able to make a decent picture out of it as the "Flying Scotsman came past at 60mph. Smile

Last edited by John Moxon on Mon May 23, 2016 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

A "decent" picture?? You are a master of understatement, John.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Stunning image John. Congratulations,very well done.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Thanks...I was pleased how it worked out. Not perfect because of the underestimation of the general interest...think the Space Shuttle running through the centre of your city and you'll understand what I mean...everyone wanted to see it.

So I got two pictures...one on the outward journey and one on the return...

It was originally billed as one of the last trips before the loco is retired to the National Railway Museum at York but it appears there's a reprise next Saturday Shocked ...so the planning for two more pictures is on...

I put the video on a tripod and set it running while I got on with the stills.

Link

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

The Flying Scotsman retired? Wow, that's sad. I saw it in NYC as a boy when it visited Grand Central Station in 1969. I bought a Bassett-Lowke hard-cover catalog from the traveling shop housed in one of the coaches accompanying the train.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 46

Jump to: