Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vac leak,, cracked intake??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: vac leak,, cracked intake?? Reply with quote

just got a 74 standard, trying to get the engine going good and found that I had a vac leak at the carb base (new carb replaced just before I bought) and a leak at the passenger side intake boot, so I replaced both split boots with solid urethane ones and Installed a new gasket under the carb and now..... Same problem same leaks WTF! could I have hairline cracks in the manifold that I just cant see? I am testing for the leaks with starter fluid, it wont stay idleing alone, only if I spray either of the leaks with the fluid.
dirtybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on redoing it all again, problem is I dont have another carb gasket and the local shops here only sell the cut your own cork style gasket material. will this work? maybe covered in rtv sealant?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I don't think split-type boots on dual-port manifold ends are such a good idea. Yes, you could cut your own carb base gasket, shouldn't be too tough. I've never had leaks at the dual port end to cylinder head connection, what type of gasket are you using: metal, or fiber?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dirtybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the leaks are at the carb base and the right "donut" I replaced the split donut with solid urethane one. I have done the whole job four times and have the same leaks each time so I'm thinking I have hairline cracks in the manifold, is this common?
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that the carb mounting flange on the intake is warped. It's also possible that the end casting or intake are out of round, for example if they were dropped.
dirtybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is a 1/8th cork gasket ok for the carb base? the one that came off was paper but I cant get that locally. I think I'm gonna pull the fan shroud and alt so I can remove the entire manifold and check it all out, what a pain.
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located?

Parts suppliers:
www.busdepot.com
located in Perkiomenville (Western Mongomery County)

East Coast Imports
no web site
located in Kimberton, just outside of Pheonixville
dirtybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in NE philly by mayfair, I just ordered a new intake manifold new dp end castings, donuts, all the gaskets. I was debating on wether to order this stuff or go with a whole new carb setup like a dellorto because I've never had luck with any of my 34 pict 3 's but I believe they all had vac leaks and thats why I couldn't adjust them.
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot me a PM, if you need help.
dirtybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK got my new intake manifold, boots, dp ends installed today with all new gaskets (except to heads) started it up and it soon died ok I just need to adjust the carb right? well.. I set the two screws (34p 3) to the start setting WTF now it wont start no matter what I try. checked coil and plugs still barely even a sputter. I'm fed-up with this thing I hate these 34pict3 carbs. I've never gotten one to run right. anybody local got a running engine to sell me cheap?
dirtybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention I checked the fuses and #8 blew while I was touching it with the key off, and continues to blow new fuses. my books say its for Emergency flashers and no books list a fuse for the engine??? but I did check and do have voltage at the motor.
Nhrabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: vac leak,, cracked intake?? Reply with quote

I've got a similar but odd issue. One minute I've got a vacuum leak that seems to be at the junction where the 2 sides meet the carb base, and then I don't. I've got a new carb. I can start the car and idles and drives great and after a while it dies at a street light and continues like that. How can you have an intermittent vacuum leak? I'm stumped on this one!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: