Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 30
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodheb wrote:
coad wrote:
onelowzuki wrote:
Once again you guys live up to your reputation. Knock down a good man's hard work. Of course I would expect nothing less of you guy's by now though. Nick is the type of guy that would help you out in a heartbeat and he provides info for all to see on his website. I have been on the Samba for a while now. I now see why I am canceling my membership and continuing to go to Volksrods.com. Even there when there is a disagreement we are still like family

Lighten up and grow a sense of humor why don't you? Or at least a sense of perspective.

You're dying on a very small cross for nothing with a speech like that. The comments come with the territory when you build something as radical as that, and it's all in good fun-- I'm sure Nick knows that and even expects it.

Well then why don't you guys take a little of your own advice and lighten up and grow a sense of humor and perspective before you start knocking someones project? It is always the people that are defending the cars worth that get told to settle down, but yet we wouldn't be put on the defensive if the uninformed childish comments were not made in the first place. Those comments if anywhere belong in the rants section, not this one.

If some of these guys would think a little before they post instead of trying to be a part of "The VW Style Police" we wouldn't have to have discussions like this.

I'll admit my initial comment was probably not the best. The car is definately not my style, and quite frankly a bit shocking to me at first glance. But I'm sure the owner put a lot of hard work into it and did his best. My apologies to Nick.

I called it a Rat Rod because it had a bit of a "rough" look to it, a bit lumpy and bumpy, and with flat paint. Not because it had no fenders.

And I will give him big points for a really unique look. I get so tired of people "ohhing, and ahhing" over lower Beetles all on the same damn sets of wheels. After a while they all look the same to me. Maybe not may taste, but this car does make a big statement and stand on its own....

But to be fair, I'm sure there is some kind of plywood and duct tape abortion that would cause each of you would upchuck a little yourselves... and it too was one persons "Dream"....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab

Last edited by johnshenry on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
You slip that picture into the middle of a thread about VW Prototypes and, yeah, it's gonna get some funny looks-- it's like seeing a whore in church.

AMEN ..... in keeping with the church themed comment.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Hotrodheb wrote:
coad wrote:
onelowzuki wrote:
Once again you guys live up to your reputation. Knock down a good man's hard work. Of course I would expect nothing less of you guy's by now though. Nick is the type of guy that would help you out in a heartbeat and he provides info for all to see on his website. I have been on the Samba for a while now. I now see why I am canceling my membership and continuing to go to Volksrods.com. Even there when there is a disagreement we are still like family

Lighten up and grow a sense of humor why don't you? Or at least a sense of perspective.

You're dying on a very small cross for nothing with a speech like that. The comments come with the territory when you build something as radical as that, and it's all in good fun-- I'm sure Nick knows that and even expects it.

Well then why don't you guys take a little of your own advice and lighten up and grow a sense of humor and perspective before you start knocking someones project? It is always the people that are defending the cars worth that get told to settle down, but yet we wouldn't be put on the defensive if the uninformed childish comments were not made in the first place. Those comments if anywhere belong in the rants section, not this one.

If some of these guys would think a little before they post instead of trying to be a part of "The VW Style Police" we wouldn't have to have discussions like this.

I'll admit my initial comment was probably not the best. The car is definately not my style, and quite frankly a bit shocking to me at first glance. But I'm sure the owner put a lot of hard work into it and did his best. My apologies to Nick.

I called it a Rat Rod because it had a bit of a "rough" look to it, a bit lumpy and bumpy, and with flat paint. Not because it had no fenders.

And I will give him big points for a really unique look. I get so tired of people "ohhing, and ahhing" over lower Beetles all on the same damn sets of wheels. After a while they all look the same to me. Maybe not may taste, but this car does make a big statement and stand on its own....

But to be fair, I'm sure there is some kind of plywood and duct tape abortion that would cause each of you would upchuck a little yourselves... and it too was one persons "Dream"....

It cracks me up that some people here on the Samba get the reputation of being overly opinionated. Many people post pictures of their pride and joy and ASK "what do you think"? They then get their feelings hurt if people express their opinion. Yes, we should not be a dick about our opinions but don't get pissed if someone states they prefer VW's stock, lowered, slammed, etc.

The other issue is correctness of a car and it's parts. Again, YES, there are "stock Nazi's" here and if you ask be prepared and except what's wrong with your car correctness. Don't even think to post a car for sale and LIE about how correct it is. I absolutely love when these cars are picked apart because the person lying about it deserves it.

I think a lot of people appreciate people pointing out things TO HELP them and their car.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Hotrodheb wrote:
coad wrote:
onelowzuki wrote:

It cracks me up that some people here on the Samba get the reputation of being overly opinionated. Many people post pictures of their pride and joy and ASK "what do you think"? They then get their feelings hurt if people express their opinion. Yes, we should not be a dick about our opinions but don't get pissed if someone states they prefer VW's stock, lowered, slammed, etc.

What about using the word "vomit", is that OK? Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd all have nothing but kind comments about the infamous "snorkelstang", right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making a fenderless rod but I love seeing vintage shit too. Grow some thicker skin and enjoy your VW.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Last edited by sixfootdan on Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Elwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Hotrodheb wrote:
coad wrote:
onelowzuki wrote:

What about using the word "vomit", is that OK? Wink

Just for the sake of having a lot of quotes within quotes. Something I noticed there was alot of here. Figured i would join in the fun.
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
You slip that picture into the middle of a thread about VW Prototypes and, yeah, it's gonna get some funny looks-- it's like seeing a whore in church.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

*October '54 Ragtop
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Hotrodheb wrote:
coad wrote:
onelowzuki wrote:

What about

using the word "vomit", is that OK? Wink

LOL-

I still chuckle thinking about a year or two ago when certain splits who owners bragged how correct their cars are were pulled into a link by you followed by "who wants to go 1st?" Very Happy They were then dissected at the displeasure of their owners.

Boy, that really pissed some people off didn't it. I roared with laughter reading some of those fired up owners responses who were way to uptight about their VW's. Twisted Evil

I have posted my car's and had things pointed out that were wrong with it and I took no offense. People need to learn to relax a little more.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
61TurboRagTop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V0LKSWAGENSRULE wrote:
I saw the newly built by VW version @ Bad Camberg:

Hey, look what I found!!! Isn't this what was originally asked for? I hope this isn't TOO far off topic. Wink

As far as Nicks car, damn fine work for somebody who isn't a body man and HUGE props to him for recreating his version of the prototype. I followed his "build thread" on the volksrod site and was amazed at the work he did and the changes he made midstream because it just didn't look right.

Love it or hate it, you gotta appreciate the work that went into it.
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would LOVE to see and hear some interesting news and info about VW 30 which weren´t published here yet..

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
61TurboRagTop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1961bluebug wrote:
I would LOVE to see and hear some interesting news and info about VW 30 which weren´t published here yet..

VW Trends and/or Hot VW's did an article on the car a couple years ago. There was quite a bit of info about the history of the original as well as this particular car.

Better start searching the back issues. Wink
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first off that car is a work in progress. I bought it already chopped (not the best chop BTW). I never touched a welder before starting this project, I'm no welding expert, never claimed to be or anything. My 1st welding project is actually that dashboard. This is just my hobby, I don't do any metalwork as a living, I just learn as I go along. With the exception of minor work here and there (and the chop top), I basically did all the modifications single-handlely: sectioned (body chop), channelled/body drop, body relocation, dash, suicide doors, reshaped doors, safari windshield, reshaped roof, reshaped rear end, rear hatch, etc etc. The only thing that heasn't been modified is the front hood, and only because I haven't started the front end section yet. All done in metal BTW. There is no way I am capable of doing concourse work so it will be impossible to do a car with this much custom work w/o some bondo for me nor 99% of anyone here. Nor do I want to spend 20 additional years getting all the body work to concourse level, I want to finish this car one day but not in a hurry to finish it that I would sacrifice design over time (if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do this right).

Design wise, I had major influence from the Talbot Lago, hence the reshaped doors, etc. Mix that design with the Beetle with a touch of hot rod, you get a custom car that looks similar to the VW30 prototype. So I mixed that into my design as well (roof lines, rear louvered window, etc). It's definitely not meant to copy the VW30, so it's not a "poorly executed replica" of it.

Fast forward to 3.5 years into the project (last year); I decide to go back to college full time out of the country and the shell seems almost complete enough to see the final overall idea. So I decided to do what I can to make it look more presentable to show at a local car show just for fun (1.5 weeks time frame) before I head out to college. I did not have time to sand the body filler perfectly on the roof. I probably put a total of 3/4 gallon on the entire body while stripping 2 gallons of Bondo off from the botched chop top job when I bought it.

So that's that. The body is rough because it is a project. It was "temporarily finished" hurriedly for a car show before I leave the country for college. The Kubel/military theme(yes, real Kubel parts including stamped shovel, Notek blackout lights, '40 KDF rims, external semaphores, etc) is temporarily there for the local show only, will be fit and finished properly when done but driven regularly. I designed it for myself, built it for myself, etc. I know it won't please everyone nor would I be upset if I hear bad opinions of it. Make fun of the rough body work because it's barely sanded down, that's fine with me. All the bondo I put on it will probably be completely stripped again anyways since the body is far from finished. I put about 3.5 years into it so far, and estimate at least another 1.5 years before the body's completely done, making it about 60% done (though it may look 90% done in the picture). The rear end is far from 50% finished, especially the fender well area. Remember, I only had 1.5 weeks to completely make the roof, rear hatch, rear engine lid and rear fender wells (as well as primer, etc) before the show.

I'm just a hobbyist. I have no fancy garage. I did all this work in my backyard on an exposed concrete pad. And mostly just using my welder and angle grinder and nothing more. Estimate total costs so far (not including the car): $700 You don't like it, I wasn't expecting everyone to. Make fun of the design, I designed it for myself and not you. Make fun of my workmanship, it doesn't matter to me since I did the best that I can do with zero experience, minimum budget and literally bare minimal tools to use (at least 90% of all body work done with my welder and angle grinder only). Sure some things would've been better if I stamped new panels out instead, but I'm just a self-taught hobbyist and not someone with access to a full professional body shop now know-how
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also, not hearing more negative (or harsher) feedback on it by now (the pict is about a year old already) is good enough for me. Makes me think I did something right (not a botched design or execution so far) to not get as much "purists" as upset

And search "VW30" in my site's gallery for lLOTS of pictures. Search for "VW3" for the other prototype's picts, or browse around my coachbuilds and prototype section in the gallery for other cool picts
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubel Nick wrote:
And also, not hearing more negative (or harsher) feedback on it by now (the pict is about a year old already) is good enough for me. Makes me think I did something right (not a botched design or execution so far) to not get as much "purists" as upset

And search "VW30" in my site's gallery for lLOTS of pictures. Search for "VW3" for the other prototype's picts, or browse around my coachbuilds and prototype section in the gallery for other cool picts

I like your car Nick, Except for those skinny ass rear wheels! Keep up the good work.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using my real Kubelwagen rims/tires (my other project) for my temporary military theme setup. Why not use the real Kubel parts I have laying around when doing a Kubel theme, right? But in the end I'll be using my set of 30's Buick artillery rims with slightly wider tires in the back, but will still be tall and skinny ala "traditional hotrod" styling
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the car s in this post are tight . PIMPING AINT EASY !
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soooo... nobody has seen those books? Laughing

I love that car, Nick.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it too. I wish I would have rough finished my 25 year labor of love so I could ride it before having to put it away again. What a fine thing.

For those that don't like it, remember that opinions are like a......s and everybody has one!

Now go learn yourself something and you can later afford to do better.

Keep having fun,
Walt
25horseboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted that pic of Kubel Nicks car after having read the thread about it then thinking this was related ... You know, vw30 replicas........ oh well. Rolling Eyes I like it anyway. Neat idea Nick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: