Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof set ups
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubjim wrote:
didnt ISP make some metal stuff to replace the plastic stuff?

Yes, for mid-65 and later cars. Earlier cars (prior to #315170012) have different side guide channels. The center guides are the same for all T3s (and shared with T1s), though.

Good to know you've got a larger metal reinforcement bracket, supaninja. I've got one from a Bug on the way. I'll take some detailed pictures once I get it, and perhaps you can let me know if you spot any differences between the two.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snj wrote:
vdubjim wrote:
didnt ISP make some metal stuff to replace the plastic stuff?

Yes, for mid-65 and later cars. Earlier cars (prior to #315170012) have different side guide channels. The center guides are the same for all T3s (and shared with T1s), though.

Good to know you've got a larger metal reinforcement bracket, supaninja. I've got one from a Bug on the way. I'll take some detailed pictures once I get it, and perhaps you can let me know if you spot any differences between the two.

I'll be nosy and will chime in, when I installed my sunroof, I thought about and used the larger metal reinforcement, but it wouldn't sit right and the cranking gear would miss either one of the cables as I turned the crank to open and close the sunroof. That would cause the sunroof to pull more from one side. I dissassambled my sunroof about 4 times and I finally corrected that problem by using that small little tab. Now if you get it to work, that would be awesome. The small tab was used on earlier setups and the larger one on later ones. I will check both my spare parts and my parts books to see if there is really a difference.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I thought about and used the larger metal reinforcement, but it wouldn't sit right and the cranking gear would miss either one of the cables as I turned the crank to open and close the sunroof. That would cause the sunroof to pull more from one side. I dissassambled my sunroof about 4 times and I finally corrected that problem by using that small little tab. Now if you get it to work, that would be awesome. The small tab was used on earlier setups and the larger one on later ones. I will check both my spare parts and my parts books to see if there is really a difference.

Damn. Just when I thought I had all the functionally necessary sunroof pieces...

Let me know what you find out.
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are at least two different style handle/crank gears, I found that out when i was searching out a volvo crank handle. Snj, stay tuned, the big plate was mounted but I don't know if it is original or some hackish repair.

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, look at at this early car's top center piece (unrestored car) no lip.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

later cars have the lip

the inner guide is different on both top pieces, maybe that's what make the difference on the long metal plate or the small tab.

Difference on top center pieces

Difference on lower center pieces

Difference on cranks

Notice all these are different parts but they all have the same part number. BTW, all these parts are type 3 313 877 sunroof parts, no bug parts.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I stuffed my sunroof guts in today. Damn it was hard to open up the bags for the ISP NLA cables, they were NOS, repop but NOS nonetheless and stupid expensive ($400). I managed to figure out how everything goes together and made a few observations. The center cover and metal plate are all 311 part numbers so no lame type 1 parts for me, and the Volvo chrome handle fits perfectly ($5 well spent).

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys catch that this brochure is from Oct 1961 and this car has a sunroof? I see a number 15 on the driver side fender. Could this be chassis #0015.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
jakauffman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Squareback sunroof Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Type III sunroof parts are interchangeable with bugs? I need new cables, sunroof guides(left, right, lower, upper) and cog gear. Any ideas? Shelling out $150 per cable sickens me.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Squareback sunroof Reply with quote

jakauffman wrote:
Does anyone know if the Type III sunroof parts are interchangeable with bugs? I need new cables, sunroof guides(left, right, lower, upper) and cog gear. Any ideas? Shelling out $150 per cable sickens me.

Cables are t-3 only. The rest of the parts interchange with a bug.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback sunroof Reply with quote

jakauffman wrote:

Type 3 Ghias are the E ticket rides
_____
And you must be. This tall to ride sunroof type 3's Laughing
But on a more serious note, it is more expensive to correctly restore a type 3 than other vw's

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback sunroof Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
jakauffman wrote:
Does anyone know if the Type III sunroof parts are interchangeable with bugs? I need new cables, sunroof guides(left, right, lower, upper) and cog gear.

Cables are t-3 only. The rest of the parts interchange with a bug.

Unfortunately, that's not quite right. You can only use Bug guide pieces for the center of a T3. The T3 side guides are different, and there are multiple versions of them for T3s.
nos64notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Type 3 gods, here's one for you. I have a 64 Notch which was missing the sunroof panel when I bought the car. The primed panel which I bought from ISP (full of rust under the seal and what I consider highway robbery) is supposed to be from an early sunroof Type 3. The problem I have now is the blueish colored panel I bought over the weekend is supposed to be from a 64 Notch. The thing that stumps me is the panels are the same size but constructed differently. 5 headliner clips on one and 6 on the other. Embossed under the height adjusters on one and not on the other. The back edge has a profile as well. Can you guys spot the differences? I am stumped on which panel I need and my Notch is getting painted soon.

rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top primered one looks like the one on my '66 squareback. I have 2 sunroof panels I can check out tomorrow. One is from a early '64 & one from a '65. Also have one from a '69 in storage. The non-primer one you have looks like it is painted nutria brown which was used in '64. I know who used to own that sunroof panel you bought. The previous owner was restoring a non-pushbutton nutria brown '64 sunroof notchback. I missed out on some NOS sunroof guides recently Wink Wish I had gone to the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nos64notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
The top primered one looks like the one on my '66 squareback. I have 2 sunroof panels I can check out tomorrow. One is from a early '64 & one from a '65. Also have one from a '69 in storage. The non-primer one you have looks like it is painted nutria brown which was used in '64. I know who used to own that sunroof panel you bought. The previous owner was restoring a non-pushbutton nutria brown '64 sunroof notchback. I missed out on some NOS sunroof guides recently Wink Wish I had gone to the show.

Thought you might chime in. I would really like to see the panels sometime. I would be interest in purchasing or trading some parts (sunroof guides).
Let me know.
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I just checked both sunroof panels I have both have 5 headliner clips & both look like the primered one you have. One was a '64 & one from a '65. I do have a super early '64 (august '63) sunroof squareback sunroof I could look at but it is at a friends house 75 miles away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nos64notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
Ok I just checked both sunroof panels I have both have 5 headliner clips & both look like the primered one you have. One was a '64 & one from a '65. I do have a super early '64 (august '63) sunroof squareback sunroof I could look at but it is at a friends house 75 miles away.

Thanks Pete, I'll go with the primed one. Still makes me wonder about the other panel. It may be from Australia? I guess I could ask Mark.
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember there is a panel that snaps on the underside, you will need that also. I can send some pics if you want.
nos64notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
Also remember there is a panel that snaps on the underside, you will need that also. I can send some pics if you want.

I've got that for both the panels.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nos64notch wrote:
Ok Type 3 gods, here's one for you. I have a 64 Notch which was missing the sunroof panel when I bought the car. The primed panel which I bought from ISP (full of rust under the seal and what I consider highway robbery) is supposed to be from an early sunroof Type 3. The problem I have now is the blueish colored panel I bought over the weekend is supposed to be from a 64 Notch. The thing that stumps me is the panels are the same size but constructed differently. 5 headliner clips on one and 6 on the other. Embossed under the height adjusters on one and not on the other. The back edge has a profile as well. Can you guys spot the differences? I am stumped on which panel I need and my Notch is getting painted soon.

The top one (light blue) looks just like the one on my '65 sunroof Variant. the primered one you have, may be an early early lid as the construction looks very crude. Also note, that the early one has no pegs on the forward facing corners.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
It gets Better,

I pulled my NOS notchback sunroof rail with a 313 part number and it is exactly the same as the late squareback one with a 363 number, they also have differnt suffix letters.
NOS notchback

Off a '72 squareback

same size and position of screw holes. In other words, the same part with different numbers.

Interesting read. The letter at the end of the part number indicates a revision. For example front brakes on a mk4 Golf might have 1K0 615 301 from the factory but VW might come up with a change in the part or where it was made and the part will supersede to 1K0 615 301 A or it could be a fitment for a different model like a Golf wagon. Just my 2-cents. This could explain the differences in the part in question. I see this all the time at work. Also 1KM could be Golf whereas 561 601 301 A would be for a Passat much like the first three numbers differ in these two parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: