Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for pictures of stock engines
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klokard,
I can't believe it!
I haven't see anyone else selling these, anywhere!
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113119597

Thanks,
ztnoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And at $7.50 for both sides, it's very affordable!
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klokard wrote:
FreakCitySF, I'm cut to the quick that you would think I'd post a pic of someone elses car. That is indeed MY car. I have included a pic of the car sitting in my driveway. As you can see the entire car is as clean as the engine compartment.

I know that you were joking about taking offense to FCSF's statement, because having your car mistaken for a TS show car is quite a complement.

Wonderful job on the car BTW, you should be proud.
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bciesq- Thanks. I was in fact giving a poke in the ribs to FCSF. That's always fun to do.
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
The stock oil cooler sticks up from the top of the engine on the left side, inside the cooling shroud. That first image is the picture of the stock '73 cooler as it looks when you look at the engine (back of car). That third picture is the opposite side (front of car).

Nice and confusing Laughing Ignore Woreign's second pic for less confusion. Wink I doubt you'd be able to accidentally find that shroud - it's pretty rare.

The '73 shroud is flatter on the top to fit better in the Thing's engine compartment. It has the little fitting on the right hand side (the red arrow is pointing it out in the first shroud picture) and has the extra air ducting for the oil cooler.

Bug shrouds are cheap and abundant - but they are more round at the top and almost always have the ports for the heat exchangers (2" or so tubes on the left and right side).

Here is what I have, correct for the thing or not?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kustom. that's a 36HP shroud -- the right shrouds are flatter on top.

And, wow, if there's still a hook-up for real asbestos heater riser gaskets, I'm buying a bunch! Cool

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably post this up in the classifieds but since we are talking about it does anyone have one they want to sell??
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for Thing 73 fan shroud?
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsehendo34 wrote:
Are you looking for Thing 73 fan shroud?

I am looking for one without the heater hose ports
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kustom41,
Then you are looking for a '73 shroud.
They are around, but getting more rare by the day.
You can expect to pay $200-250 for one in decent shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is stock correct engine, correct?? (got it off of ebay)

Maybe a different carb??
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see the vacuum can on the distributor (replaced by a 009 - too bad!) and there seems to be some emmssions stuff missing (no big loss). But, it's pretty close.

Mark
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie61 wrote:
I dont see the vacuum can on the distributor (replaced by a 009 - too bad!) and there seems to be some emmssions stuff missing (no big loss). But, it's pretty close.

Mark

Nice I think I have it dialed in now, thanks again for everyones help

J.D.
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klokard wrote:
100% stock except for "optional" dual air cleaner assembly.

The bottom one is my engine... see how I don't have the two hoses going from the engine down? What are those hoses/connecters and what do they do? Is it bad if I don't have them?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the 2 inch diameter feeds, one on the left and one on the right of the engine tin that I circled in yellow? That engine tin is for a '74 Thing - they go to heat exchangers in the exhaust to provide heat to the passengers. Since you've got a '73, none of the duct work is there, and you've probably got a gas heater to do this job.

These are just wasting your cooling air by blowing it around the engine compartment. Most VW shops sell caps for these - I've even used some old spray can caps and duct tape for the ghetto look. You've just got to block them off to help out with cooling. If you've got $$$ and want to go stock, you can try and find a '73 Thing shroud that doesn't have those (and has slightly different internal baffling) - but they're hard to come by because the offroad crowd loves to use them.

OK, you're obviously missing the fan belt, but I think you knew that Wink

You're also missing the breather tube that goes between the oil-bath air cleaner (big black thing on the right) and the engine. It connects right next to the oil filler cap and goes to the same size hold on the air intake - I drew where it should be in green. Without this, you're polluting the air and blowing oil around your engine compartment. The proper part is a formed elbow and is pretty cheap. Don't ghetto this one up - I did that once with some cheap hose, and when it kinked, oil leaked from EVERYWHERE because the case couldn't breathe.

Finally, there's supposed to be a vacume hose between the air cleaner and the carb - drawn in red. If you look below the carb on the right, you'll see a small fitting for a little 4mm (I think) hose. Leaving this open can make your car run poorly, so you'll want to take care of it. See that small hose already on the air cleaner? If you look where it connects, you'll see another 4mm fitting that's open. Get some cheap hose and connect these two together and your engine will run better.

One more item, that silver box on the left doesn't look like it's doing anything anymore but taking up space (purple X). It's the regulator for the stock generator - but someone changed out the generator and put in a (much superior) alternator on your engine. The regulator on your alternator is internal, so when they installed it they bypassed that silver box. Not a big deal at all.

Your fuel filter is BLACK! It's supposed to be see-through so you can see how clogged it is. They're only $2 or so, so you should probably replace it.

I don't know what that silver box is for - attached to the shroud shown above the oil filler. Maybe a junction box for the alternator wiring?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that silver box is the regulator for the alternator, not all of them had internal regulators
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you connect the vacuum hose between the air filter and the port below the carb, you will also want to install the duct hose that connects to the end of the air filter and passes through the hole in the engine tin. Once through the tin, it connects to a metal elbow that collects warm air from the cylinders. It is the large hose on the right in this photo:

And it connects to this elbow:

If you need the elbow, Bughaus sells it for $12.95. Other vendors sell it for $42.50! Be sure to shop around...
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:

Are you referring to the 2 inch diameter feeds, one on the left and one on the right of the engine tin that I circled in yellow? That engine tin is for a '74 Thing - they go to heat exchangers in the exhaust to provide heat to the passengers. Since you've got a '73, none of the duct work is there, and you've probably got a gas heater to do this job.

These are just wasting your cooling air by blowing it around the engine compartment. Most VW shops sell caps for these - I've even used some old spray can caps and duct tape for the ghetto look. You've just got to block them off to help out with cooling. If you've got $$$ and want to go stock, you can try and find a '73 Thing shroud that doesn't have those (and has slightly different internal baffling) - but they're hard to come by because the offroad crowd loves to use them.

Alright, just stop them up and I'm good?

Quote:
OK, you're obviously missing the fan belt, but I think you knew that Wink

haha, yes I fixed it by MYSELF if you can believe that. Laughing

Quote:
You're also missing the breather tube that goes between the oil-bath air cleaner (big black thing on the right) and the engine. It connects right next to the oil filler cap and goes to the same size hold on the air intake - I drew where it should be in green. Without this, you're polluting the air and blowing oil around your engine compartment. The proper part is a formed elbow and is pretty cheap. Don't ghetto this one up - I did that once with some cheap hose, and when it kinked, oil leaked from EVERYWHERE because the case couldn't breathe.

I was actually wondering why I there was oil all over my engine. (Dear God what would I do without you?) "/smacks himself"

Quote:
Finally, there's supposed to be a vacume hose between the air cleaner and the carb - drawn in red. If you look below the carb on the right, you'll see a small fitting for a little 4mm (I think) hose. Leaving this open can make your car run poorly, so you'll want to take care of it. See that small hose already on the air cleaner? If you look where it connects, you'll see another 4mm fitting that's open. Get some cheap hose and connect these two together and your engine will run better.

Will do. 4mm hose at both ends, should be easy enough to find right? Anyone confirm this for me?

Quote:
One more item, that silver box on the left doesn't look like it's doing anything anymore but taking up space (purple X). It's the regulator for the stock generator - but someone changed out the generator and put in a (much superior) alternator on your engine. The regulator on your alternator is internal, so when they installed it they bypassed that silver box. Not a big deal at all.

Wait a second... something is actually GOOD on my Thing? Damn, looks like I'm starting to do something right! Cool

Quote:
Your fuel filter is BLACK! It's supposed to be see-through so you can see how clogged it is. They're only $2 or so, so you should probably replace it.

It LOOKS black, it's actually clear and I can see fuel in it. It was black but then I scraped a good 1/8 inch of black... something off it. Laughing But should I have a replacement just in case?

Quote:
I don't know what that silver box is for - attached to the shroud shown above the oil filler. Maybe a junction box for the alternator wiring?

Yeah, if I remember correctly... it's not attatched to anything. eBay time! :wink

Edit was for messing up my quotes. Rolling Eyes
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

npconnor wrote:
['74 fresh air ports] Alright, just stop them up and I'm good?

Yeup.

npconnor wrote:
[Fuel filter] LOOKS black, it's actually clear and I can see fuel in it. It was black but then I scraped a good 1/8 inch of black... something off it. Laughing But should I have a replacement just in case?

They're cheap. Most VW shops have a box of them near the register - like candy! When I went through my spares the other day, I found I had 2 extra. It doesn't hurt to carry one - if someone dumps stuff in your tank (like sugar), you'll have to change it out to keep running.

Also, there's a lot of debate on this point, but I think it's better to have the fuel filter before the pump. It'll help protect the pump and, if there's a fuel leak, it's less likely to leak into the distributor and cause a fire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: