Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugzy'65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Dencio wrote:
Here's my project 64.
3" narrowed adjustable beam and drop spindles with empi disc brakes.
195 50 16s
Empi rear disc brakes.
225 50 16s
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this a linkpin beam or Balljoint? Are you running shocks? could you go any lower? i have a 66 BJ beetle and im wanting to almost slam it with monroe air shocks air adjustability! the thing is i cant fabricate new shock towers! i need to keep the stock so is it possible to almost lower the car by 6" with about 2-3" narrowed beam and not rub the tires anywhere?? plz respond .
Regard,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugzy'65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

knightsafe wrote:
Front
4" beam w/ shocks
Drop spindles
4" smoothies w/ Firestone 135s

Rear
Down 1 outer click
Notched and extended spring plates
67 trans w/ long axles
6.5" smoothies w/ Firestone 185/65s

Might go down a little bit more in the rear

How are you running shocks with 4" bro? balljoint?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dencio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Bugzy. I have a linkpin with empi lowered shocks, I can lower it more but the tires are rubbing on the fender when I turn the wheels.
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

what shocks are most folks using when lowering the rear approx two outers?

i think i ran empi's on my first beetle, but ive been away for a few years and dont know if there is now a better option

thanks for any and all help. i searched. but didnt want to search through 100s of pages for an answer
VWMIke82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

TastyTuner wrote:
what shocks are most folks using when lowering the rear approx two outers?

i think i ran empi's on my first beetle, but ive been away for a few years and dont know if there is now a better option

thanks for any and all help. i searched. but didnt want to search through 100s of pages for an answer

Im just running Gabriel shocks from Autozone. rides nice and no issues. Im down 2 outer notches in the rear too.
Jak3-719
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Updated!

FRONT:
Atomwerks 2" beam
Koni white LP style front shocks
2.5 drop spindles (drum)
1 set caster shims
facotry 15x4 smoothies in "Illusion Purple" powdercoat
135/15 Diamondback white walls

REAR:
Bugzylla drop plates
15x8 smoothies in "Illusion Purple" powdercoat
195/60 Diamondback white walls

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Anyone using 225/50/15 on 8" steelie rim in back? Looking for something with lower profile than below but still wide. On car is a 6" rim with 245/60/14 but I have 15x8s going on soon, Thx.

turbomurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I dont have pictures right now but I'm rolling with a 8inch adjustable beam on stock shocks, spindles and joints. Rear I'm running 2inch drop spring plates with shorter torsion bars.
tires 165 front and rear going to switch to 145 fronts.

Recap:
Suspension: adjustable beam with spring plates
Tires: 165 front&rear planning front to 145
turbomurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I dont have pictures right now but I'm rolling with a 8inch adjustable beam on stock shocks, spindles and joints. Rear I'm running 2inch drop spring plates with shorter torsion bars.
tires 165 front and rear going to switch to 145 fronts.

Recap:
Suspension: adjustable beam with spring plates
Tires: 165 front&rear planning front to 145
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

This is my ride - I use 195/65 R15 tyres with a Mangel 5.5 wheel. My front is slightly lowered. anti-sway bars front and rear. camber compensator for rear.

I used 205/65 for my rear once but it didn't feel good. So I swapped it to another 195/65.

But the inside tyres of the rear got badly worn out after awhile… However it was a very very sweet ride. So sweet that whenever I'd get back home I felt obliged to pat my Beetle and thank it for the nice ride.

But the worn inside tyres was an issue so my mechanic "fixed" it with installing a camber compensator for the rear.

But whenever I went around corners it felt uneasy - like the back was going to pull away.

The car now has new Bridgestone Potenza tyres 195/60/R15 for front and rear.
cbdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

this is mine now updated, lowered front, not sure how much may be 40mm on beam adjusters.
fronts 4.5x15 with 145 65 tyres
rear 7x15 with 195 60 tyres
no rubbing anywhere, even 4 up.

Tside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Here is my '67 bug setups for now from Finland

Front:
Stock beam
Stock shocks
2.5" drum drop spindles
145/80R15s nankang cx-668
5.5" SSP GT 5 spoke wheels, smooth ride

Rear:
Stock (time-year dropping)
165/80R15s nankang cx-668
5.5" SSP GT 5 spoke wheels, smooth ride

I'm happy with these setups because you haven't beware of every road bumps in the road. No rubbing at all even fully loaded and also you can drive smoothly with original tyre/wheel setups 155/80R15.
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

5 inch beam
2.5 drop spindles
4 inch drop plates
145s and 185S
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Hey all! First post here!

I'm hoping maybe someone in here can help a brother out.

Here is my 65. Its on a 68 pan with long axles. on the front i am running a 2" beam and 145/65's. I still have a little bit of tire gap at this height. judging by every other example i saw with this setup, I didn't think there would be any. I know I have adjustability up front, but i like the distance i have from the ground to my beam. I'm not new to low cars but i didn't think my bug was much higher than some of the more conservative drops in here.

I guess my question is; is my mind tricking me and i'm not that as low as others? What are other potential tire sizes that i could ride this height but have no wheel gap?

TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

front:
4" narrowed beam
2" drop spindles
shorter upper and lower ball joints
shockless
15x4.5 +34 bbt sprintstars
135-15 firestones

rear:
combo of inner and outer splines
notched spring plates
(4" drop/ adj jerfab plates waiting to go on)
empi shocks (too soft for me, looking into kyb)
15x5.5 +10 bbt sprintstars
205/65-15 firestones
potato_salad1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

kinkerstinker wrote:
Hey all! First post here!

I'm hoping maybe someone in here can help a brother out.

Here is my 65. Its on a 68 pan with long axles. on the front i am running a 2" beam and 145/65's. I still have a little bit of tire gap at this height. judging by every other example i saw with this setup, I didn't think there would be any. I know I have adjustability up front, but i like the distance i have from the ground to my beam. I'm not new to low cars but i didn't think my bug was much higher than some of the more conservative drops in here.

I guess my question is; is my mind tricking me and i'm not that as low as others? What are other potential tire sizes that i could ride this height but have no wheel gap?

You're not as low as the others because you don't have it adjusted as low. If you want to rid of the fender gap, then you'll have to sacrifice beam-to-ground clearance.
potato_salad1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

1967 Beetle

Front:
Airkewld 4" Narrowed Adjustable Ultimate Beam
2.5 drop spindles
145/65-15 Continentals
Stock Smoothies

Rear:
1 outer click down
185/65-15 Goodride SP06
Stock Smoothies
(It is sitting on the bump stops so I will be installing drop plates soon)

kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

potato_salad1 wrote:

You're not as low as the others because you don't have it adjusted as low. If you want to rid of the fender gap, then you'll have to sacrifice beam-to-ground clearance.

Thanks for the reply! I totally get that. I think, maybe, I thought id want to be lower than i really do once the car hit the ground haha. Ive had my share of cars with vital parts an inch or two off the ground, but wanted to keep this a little more drivable.

Maybe someone could help advise me on a tire size thats a little taller. That way it could adjust the beam to where it is now, but it would fill out the fender better.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

kinkerstinker wrote:
potato_salad1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I totally get that. I think, maybe, I thought id want to be lower than i really do once the car hit the ground haha. Ive had my share of cars with vital parts an inch or two off the ground, but wanted to keep this a little more drivable.

Maybe someone could help advise me on a tire size thats a little taller. That way it could adjust the beam to where it is now, but it would fill out the fender better.

Easy enough to figure out on your own. The 145/65 you are running now is 94.25 tall. Which is a really tiny tire. I got this by multiplying 145 x .65 which gives you the height of the tire. 135's are 80 series (ive been told actually 83 but for simplicity...) which would make them 108
(112). A 185/60 would be 111. Figure out what you need to have and start figuring it up. Also, a lot of tire sites such as Coker, DBTires and others will give you heights for the various tires to help you figure out what you need. Keep in mind, if you stay the same adjustment on your beam, by raising the height of your tire, you will in fact raise the height of the car...
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Quick update, dropped the rear a little bit more now it sits real nice

Before

After
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Page 100 of 114

Jump to: