Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, is the bug sitting on a later pan or did someone just swap out the drums? Keep in mind 67's already infamously have a bit of a taildragger look as it is. Putting smaller diameter rims on the front is going to make that rim to fender gap even wider... If you are handy, its actually pretty cheap installing adjusters in the front beam. Go with some 135 or 145's in the front and you are done under $300 most likely. Of course your ride is going to suck.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

any excuse to post up a pic of my 67 Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Front - 2 inch narrowed adjustable beam, CB drop spindles and disc brakes. 4.5 inch empi BRMs wrapped in 155/80/15 Firestones. Adjusters on the beam are both at halfway.

Rear - Down one outer spline, 68 and later drum brakes with 67 wide 5 drum on short 66 and earlier axles. Also using adjustable springplates to dial in rear ride just so. 6.5 inch empi BRMs wrapped in 205/65/15 Firestones.

All in all a nice traditional cal-look enflueced ride height and is very drivable. no rubbing and no scrapping or hitting - perfect!!

- note that is not me in the pic, its Doug Berg Cool
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Very nice Jason! I'm a sucker for the 205/65. It's great for gearing and just looks classic. I'm on my fourth different front tire size but I will probably never change the rear. Absolutely love the "puffy" look while others hate it. Cool

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaconty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

front 145/65/15
rear 165/65/15
Mooneyes disc +whiteweels
airride system

more info at https://www.facebook.com/drutgarageJacoson/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
uglydog56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

With stance adjusted, and bumpers added.

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

phanal wrote:
Hi all,

I look at all the pages and I don't see what i'm searching... So, why not asking!!!!

I bought this 1967 beetle this summer and I want to change the stance this winter:

I'm staying with drum all arround and I don't what to mess with shorter beam, ajuster,etc...

I don't want to put alot of money into it (because I'm restoring and other 67 beetle), but I would like to get a big in the back, and small in front look. I'm looking to returning to wide 5 (because they are 4 lug 68 wheel right now) and go to the stock look wheel (stock VW wheel, black in the center and white outer ring).

To add to the small/big look, I thought going with stock smoothies in the back and put type 2, 14'' wheel in the front.

So, my question, does anybody try to put 14'' wheel in front of a beetle and what kind of problem I may expect (fitment with drum, wheel too wide?????).

Thanks for your help guys!!!

I have 14" wheels in the front and 15" widened wheels in the rear on my '66. Check my gallery. I have a bunch of pics from all different angles. The fronts do rub on the inside at full lock. I have a stock width beam and drum brakes.
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I really hope no one minds me posting this here as my bug is actually a '69 but, when I was studying and coming up with my plan, I referenced this thread many times over. I know it's a 58 - 67 specific thread but figured if, like me, a bug owner from later years is looking for ideas maybe this post will help them?

I hope no one minds and also hope I can help someone with ideas.

I just cross posted this from another post elsewhere.

Finished up lowering the car a little more to get it where I wanted. (1 1/4 more up front and 2 1/4 at the back).

Lowered the rear a little (one click)

And swapped out the front tires for something a little smaller.

So, in case someone is curious, here's the current setup now that I'm done messing.

Rear
Tires: 195/65r15
Wheels: Empi Riviera 15x5.5 ET17
Suspension: Stock - lowered one outer spline.

Front
Disc brakes
Drop spindles
Adjustable stock width beam
Tires: 195/55r15

Also, I've had few questions about the colour. Since the previous owner painted the car before I purchased it from them to finish up, I don't know the exact colour as of yet. I don't like the vented deck lid (as some have already noticed - it shouldn't be there (IMO)) and prefer the period correct non-vented deck lid and I will be having that painted to match shortly (I have the car's original lid). I had the car scanned at my local body shop and they called earlier saying the computer spit out a match. They've painted a few cards up to see how close it is. Once the lid is painted, I'll have the code and will share it here is anyone is still interested.

All I know at this point is that it is a factory Mercedes colour. It looks very root beer in nature. Again, I'll let you know when I get the code.

Cheers.
JoshsOrange71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I am trying to lower my bug in the front. I want to make a Cal-look bug the best I can. I few years ago I purchased empi 8 spoke wheels. The front tires are sticking out now without lowering. Most of the narrowed beams I have looked at are $700+!! What is my best option to lower the fronts on a budget with the wheel setup I have? I am running 195s now but I am looking to change the sizing to 165s in the front and a 205 in the rear.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Some say Smart car tires. Check them out.
Otherwise you can look into 2.5" drop spindles available at most ACVW parts distributors.

JoshsOrange71 wrote:
I am trying to lower my bug in the front. I want to make a Cal-look bug the best I can. I few years ago I purchased empi 8 spoke wheels. The front tires are sticking out now without lowering. Most of the narrowed beams I have looked at are $700+!! What is my best option to lower the fronts on a budget with the wheel setup I have? I am running 195s now but I am looking to change the sizing to 165s in the front and a 205 in the rear.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
JoshsOrange71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Thats a big 10-4. The only thing I see with that is I will still have a gap from the tire and fender. Wont the smaller tire make that gap bigger?

The thing Im concerned with on the dropped spindles is that my wheels stick out to far and Im worried about tire rub.

Ill take a look at the smart car tire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

New2me69 wrote:
I really hope no one minds me posting this here as my bug is actually a '69 but, when I was studying and coming up with my plan, I referenced this thread many times over. I know it's a 58 - 67 specific thread but figured if, like me, a bug owner from later years is looking for ideas maybe this post will help them?

I hope no one minds and also hope I can help someone with ideas.

I just cross posted this from another post elsewhere.

Finished up lowering the car a little more to get it where I wanted. (1 1/4 more up front and 2 1/4 at the back).

Lowered the rear a little (one click)

And swapped out the front tires for something a little smaller.

So, in case someone is curious, here's the current setup now that I'm done messing.

Rear
Tires: 195/65r15
Suspension: Stock - lowered one outer spline.

Front
Disc brakes
Drop spindles
Adjustable stock width beam
Tires: 195/55r15

Also, I've had few questions about the colour. Since the previous owner painted the car before I purchased it from them to finish up, I don't know the exact colour as of yet. I don't like the vented deck lid (as some have already noticed - it shouldn't be there (IMO)) and prefer the period correct non-vented deck lid and I will be having that painted to match shortly (I have the car's original lid). I had the car scanned at my local body shop and they called earlier saying the computer spit out a match. They've painted a few cards up to see how close it is. Once the lid is painted, I'll have the code and will share it here is anyone is still interested.

All I know at this point is that it is a factory Mercedes colour. It looks very root beer in nature. Again, I'll let you know when I get the code.

Cheers.

Thank you so much for this post you have your bug sitting exactly how I want mine to sit and now I know what size tyres to get as well.
Do you have any tyre rubbing on your wings with the 195/55 tyres?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

As far as I know. The 2.5" drop spindles don't add width of the front end. It's when you change to disc brakes that things get outa whack.
Yes the Smart car tire will not fill the fender shape as well as a stock tire. But you will not have to narrow the front end to get away from the dreaded tire rub when the front is lowered.
Good Luck.
JoshsOrange71 wrote:
Thats a big 10-4. The only thing I see with that is I will still have a gap from the tire and fender. Wont the smaller tire make that gap bigger?

The thing Im concerned with on the dropped spindles is that my wheels stick out to far and Im worried about tire rub.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
JoshsOrange71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Ill look into this. Thanks!

67rustavenger wrote:
As far as I know. The 2.5" drop spindles don't add width of the front end. It's when you change to disc brakes that things get outa whack.
Yes the Smart car tire will not fill the fender shape as well as a stock tire. But you will not have to narrow the front end to get away from the dreaded tire rub when the front is lowered.
Good Luck.
JoshsOrange71 wrote:

Dave's 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

So I have searched and cannot find an answer, what does it take to run the BTR wheels? In the rear I plan on one click down only thinking of a 165-60-15 but would like a larger tire if it will fit in the rear on the BTR's, not sure on the fronts this is on a 65 with short axels liknk pin front. Any help appreciated don't want to buy wheels and tires twice.
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

JoshsOrange71 wrote:

CB performance sells adjustable 2 inch beams for under 400. I would run smaller tires and a 2 inch beam if it were me.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

67 bug.
Air shocks in front
drop spindles
tie rod flip
lowered style ball joints
Bags in rear (BrownBags arms)
Extended front arms to allow it to lay on the 17s
tubbed front and rear
notched and extended plates
2" trans raise

wheels are airkewld 17s with 205/40/17s.

cj92345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

my 67, still need to do something with the front, want to lower and small tires..
Dave's 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Dave's 65 wrote:
So I have searched and cannot find an answer, what does it take to run the BTR wheels? In the rear I plan on one click down only thinking of a 165-60-15 but would like a larger tire if it will fit in the rear on the BTR's, not sure on the fronts this is on a 65 with short axels liknk pin front. Any help appreciated don't want to buy wheels and tires twice.

Anyone?
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Is anyone on here running a stock width adjustable beam and dropped spindles on a ball joint bug if so what size tyres are you running and what sort of ground clearance do you have?
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

1960 - Car has 2.5 drop, discs all around, and stock width front beam.

Before,
145/65 15 A bit too bumpy.

After,
175/65 15 Rubbing on fender.

Cant get a shorter beam, yet. Is there a target front tire size I should get meantime? Or stick with 145/65s?

Heading to try 155/60, as the 175s are not drivable. (Hopefully they take them back)

Thank you for any recommendations.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Page 103 of 114

Jump to: