Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting Vanagons
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Painting Vanagons Reply with quote

I've been working on removing the surface rust on my 85 GL, (with much success after reading some of the previous posts I might add.) I'm going to be shopping around at some local garages soon to see how much a respray is going to cost me. Just wondering what everyone's been quoted and what they have paid to get these beasts painted. I'm thinking about going straight white, (I heard that's cheaper than other colors), and putting a few pin stripes on her. I don't want to break the bank here, so I'm just trying to get an idea of how much $$$ I'll have to dish out.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what color your Bus is now but for resale value, repaint it the same color that it is. Doing a proper color change is very time comsuming and costly.

Any money that you might save by painting the cheapest color possible will be lost upon resale if all of the jambs and interior are not painted the same color as the exterior.

Just something to think about.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
veganvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my '87 GL at the paint shop right now. I get it back Tuesday and can't wait.

Mine had a little rust, not much, a couple of dents, but overall in decent shape. I had quotes as high as $2,500, but found a good shop nearby that is doing all of the body work and paint for $1,500. Still not cheap, but hopefully will come out nice.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1500 is fair. Mine was $500 labor for 2 weekends. $600 for Maaco paint. So with materials I was in about $1200 total. Mine had plenty of dents. I had quotes to $3500+ I am happy with my L90D Alpine White.

I do suggest you stay with your original color too.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
$1500 is fair. Mine was $500 labor for 2 weekends. $600 for Maaco paint. So with materials I was in about $1200 total. Mine had plenty of dents. I had quotes to $3500+ I am happy with my L90D Alpine White.

I do suggest you stay with your original color too.

Isn't paint code L90D for Pastel White ?
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevtherev wrote:
yup

thanks Kev. .. i ask because my 85 white westy is in the paint shop right now. i have been searching this site all morning and i can't find the color or code for the white pop top. i don't know if it should be pastel white or a bright white..the 2 don't look the same to me
any ideas..?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about repainting the van my self because of the cost... and I have 2 to paint...

anyone doing a DYI paint job yet?

thanks
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I am thinking about repainting the van my self because of the cost... and I have 2 to paint...

thanks

my westy is being painted right now. i had to have 5 body panels replaced due to rust. so i fiqured do it right and replace all the window and door rubber all the way around while i'm at it. bye bye tax refund. . haha
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAdom wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:

thanks

my westy is being painted right now. i had to have 5 body panels replaced due to rust. so i fiqured do it right and replace all the window and door rubber all the way around while i'm at it. bye bye tax refund. .

haha

so does anyone out there know what is the correct color to paint the white pop top ? i looked high and low and can't find it. code that is
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this..

http://www.gti16v.com/vwcc1986.htm

http://www.gti16v.com/vwcc1991.htm

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/choosecolo/choose...el=Vanagon
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veganvdub wrote:
I have my '87 GL at the paint shop right now. I get it back Tuesday and can't wait.

Mine had a little rust, not much, a couple of dents, but overall in decent shape. I had quotes as high as $2,500, but found a good shop nearby that is doing all of the body work and paint for $1,500. Still not cheap, but hopefully will come out nice.

Why is it so cheap? I painted the Westy myself and just the material cost me $1100 and I don't even use expansive paint. It is a base coat clear coat repaint though.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I found this..

http://www.gti16v.com/vwcc1986.htm

http://www.gti16v.com/vwcc1991.htm

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/choosecolo/choose...el=Vanagon

i have been there. got the pastel white code from there. but they don't mention the pop top color.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched lo and hi but can't find the color code for the pop top..

some just paint it flat white, some painted color match the body...

may be this link will help a bit

http://www.westfalia.org/community/showthread.php?...ons-please
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 600 in materials in my paint, plus another 280 in raptor bedliner products.

was a ton of work.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that $1500 -$2500 still a reliable quote for today considering the original post was almost 6 years ago?

I need to have some seam rust body work done on my doka rain gutter and I have been anticipating the need to save at least $1K to just have the body work done, let alone painting the rig. Is this reasonable?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good paint job will cost north of $10,000 unless you DIY
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Very Happy Just got my 87 quoted $ 2,000. Two years ago I only paid $1,500 . Stay with the original color. Have it done right, no earl scheib or maaco . I did try them once, the paint only lasted 2 years then went south. Very Happy yes a show job will cost north of $5,000.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
a good paint job will cost north of $10,000 unless you DIY

OUCh, I'm doomed!

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on materials and extensiveness of preparation will determine cost of materials. The better the preparation, the higher quality the final result will be.

I am stripping mine to metal all around replacing a few panels along the way. The corresponding primer I am using is a Dupont Metalok that is about $300 for a gallon each of the primer and activator alone. The second stage is a high build Dupont epoxy primer which is slightly less. Final paint will be Duponts Imron.

Saving labor hours by doing the stripping and preparation myself, but sandpaper, DA paper, various cleaners, tape and paper, sandblast media, paper towels, chemical stripper, MIG wire and gas, that crap all adds up and costs money (lots of it).

When it comes to paint, be it final finish or longevity, the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' definately applies.

But then again, there are different opinions on what is 'acceptable' for a 25 YO van that will see rough service, or what value the van is worth in relation to what owner wants to budget for it.

Personally - barring an unfortunate situation such as an accident, I do not ever want to have to do this again and am taking every precaution to make this dream happen. To each his own I guess.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: