Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb won't idle .
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchandblaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Carb won't idle . Reply with quote

I've got a 66 bug with a 1500cc engine, and stock carb. It starts up and runs awesome, until the engine is warmed up. When the engine is warmed up, as soon as you let off on the gas, the engine dies. How do I fix this ?
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a 30 PICT-1 Carb (original for a 66') then on the right side of the carb you will see a brass colored screw, its rather large, you cant miss it. Thats your idle jet, take it out, and with a very small piece of wire, gently clear all of the holes, paying most attention to the very small hole at the end of the jet. You will be amazed how much of a difference such a small hole can make to how your car idles. It can also be a choke problem, but lets start with the idle jet since it is very commonly clogged.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb won't idle . Reply with quote

dutchandblaze wrote:
I've got a 66 bug with a 1500cc engine, and stock carb. It starts up and runs awesome, until the engine is warmed up. When the engine is warmed up, as soon as you let off on the gas, the engine dies. How do I fix this ?

Along with the suggestion made already, I'd check for vacuum leaks. When it's cold and the chokes on, it's running very rich which can hide vacuum leak symptoms. Once the engine warms and the choke opens fully, it goes VERY lean and stalls. If the idle jet turns out to be ok and clear, start it up, let it warm until the choke goes off and it starts to stumble and stall and have someone keep it idling with the gas pedal while you spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner around the carb and manifold, where the carb manifold bolts to the heads and boots if it's a dual port engine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb won't idle . Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
dutchandblaze wrote:

Along with the suggestion made already, I'd check for vacuum leaks. When it's cold and the chokes on, it's running very rich which can hide vacuum leak symptoms. Once the engine warms and the choke opens fully, it goes VERY lean and stalls. If the idle jet turns out to be ok and clear, start it up, let it warm until the choke goes off and it starts to stumble and stall and have someone keep it idling with the gas pedal while you spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner around the carb and manifold, where the carb manifold bolts to the heads and boots if it's a dual port engine.
I agree!, because if the idle jet was clogged, it wouldn't idle when cold either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: