Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decklid stand-off for the bottom
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Decklid stand-off for the bottom Reply with quote

Does anybody of you Thing owners drive with decklid popped open at the bottom? My friend made me a neat 2 stage stand-off for the latch, so I´m able to close it fully or leave it opened for 2 inches, but I´m still thinking if it helps to lower the engine temps or not..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand-off for the bottom Reply with quote

1961bluebug wrote:
Does anybody of you Thing owners drive with decklid popped open at the bottom? My friend made me a neat 2 stage stand-off for the latch, so I´m able to close it fully or leave it opened for 2 inches, but I´m still thinking if it helps to lower the engine temps or not..

My decklid doesn't have the clip for the latch to connect to so it flops open on every bump so in a way I do drive around with the decklid opened a little...

I haven't really noticed any major engine temp differences, but that being said it's never open for a large period of time as yours could be

1600s of air-cooled German muscle!

Last edited by kuebelwagen84 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the clip for the latch is a small piece of tin bolted with two philips screws, very easy to obtain used/make one. The noise from floppiy decklid would bother me a bit:-)

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1961bluebug wrote:
the clip for the latch is a small piece of tin bolted with two philips screws, very easy to obtain used/make one. The noise from floppiy decklid would bother me a bit:-)

it does bother me, a lot Wink I between my tools bouncing around in the hood and that in the rear my 181 is pretty noisy but I was planning on fabricating one eventually

unfortunately on my long list of stuff to fix/improve, that's pretty far at the bottom

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of the set up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit, reason follows

|82x94|

Last edited by 1961bluebug on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand-off for the bottom Reply with quote

kuebelwagen84 wrote:
I haven't really noticed any major engine temp differences

I used to run with a Gene Berg temp stick. On hot days, if I propped open the deck lid, I could run longer on the freeway before the temp stick tripped. On the worst days, I could only run 15 minutes or so on the freeway before tripping the temp stick, then propping open the deck lid (with a 2"x2" block of wood held in place with a bungee) I could run 30-45 minutes before tripping it.

I had louvers cut in the deck lid, and that gave me my 30-45 minutes with the lid closed.

I probably had an overtemp problem with that engine anyway - but I can say for certain that 2" of open lid helps with cooling.
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand-off for the bottom Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:

I had louvers cut in the deck lid, and that gave me my 30-45 minutes with the lid closed.

I probably had an overtemp problem with that engine anyway - but I can say for certain that 2" of open lid helps with cooling.

Wow, I'm surprised it made that big of a difference. Thanks for passing that info along Ian, I guess since I haven't really done any freeway driving in the Thing I wouldn't have noticed

That louver idea is a good one, maybe I'll follow suit

1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing info!

|82x94|

FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome, you are a genius.

I love hacks of all kinds.

You should make a few and sell em! Maybe a bulk order if the Thing shop likes em?

If you have a chance can you take a pic of just the piece? Maybe someone on here can make a template or blueprints.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I´m not. The design and idea of the standoff goes to my friend John from VeeForce in Sydney, Australia. I´ll inform him about the possibility and since he works with CNC metal cutters for living, he´ll maybe offer a batch of the standoffs here on Thesamba. Anyway I got a beetle style standoff from him and I had to modify it a bit since the shape of the handle catch is angled differently on a Thing.

Thanks for understanding. Jan

|82x94|

c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that on my '60 ragtop, popping the bottom of my decklid shaves 10 degrees off my engine temp on road trips.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thing's deck lid had a rectangle cut out behind the license plate when I bought it. We shouldn't *need* to hack our Things to keep them running cool, but in this case, I probably won't "restore away" the hole.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
My Thing's deck lid had a rectangle cut out behind the license plate when I bought it. We shouldn't *need* to hack our Things to keep them running cool, but in this case, I probably won't "restore away" the hole.

That's really actually kind of cool. Cool
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Ian-I have owned mine for 15 years and it is my only car and daily driver. By propping the engine lid on the bottom some 2" it definately aids in cooling. I think if you go over on shoptalkforums and look in the 181 forums and search for more air into the engine compartment you will see a long thread of info regarding this. I would like to see what the inside looks loke where the modified part is. I am lazy and just use a cut tennis ball on my latch-then I can just remove it and lock the engine compartmen if I want to.
cb john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
1961 bluebug has informed me that there might be an interest in the standoff bracket for 181. I would consider to make a batch if you are seriously interested..
John
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested. Can you post some pics or email them to me? Thanks.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take 2

pics and approx price

thanks

chris
cb john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far three pieces...that would make it too bloody expensive.Batch of 20 pieces can make the price more friendly.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of engine deck lids with holes cut in them already that are available. One has holse cut behind the licence plate area the other has small holes drilled in the rear surface. Both could be used for a heat reduction test without damaging your original engine deck lid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: