Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque thrust or JGE
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwrobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Torque thrust or JGE Reply with quote

OK 2 sellers out there selling 4 used Torkers for in excess of $8ooo whats that all about, a wheel is a wheel and shouldnt command a price of $2000 a piece however"Rare" people may think. Its a wheel. To be perfectly honest here in the UK id rather go for a new Repop of the wheel by JGE at a minor fraction of the price and know that it was safe and readily polished and wont tarnish Quick.

Similarly the Gasburners and quality BRM repops will be a more useable wheel when all is said and done, who wants to spend every weekend polishing rims?

And just so there is no doubt i have no affiliation to JGE.

Lets bring this hobby back down to the ground
Im all for making a profit on parts and cars but lets be sensible

WWW.TheVolksmeister.Com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: americans Reply with quote

last year at bulli brigade, I had my bus there with og americans, and my buddy from CA had his single cab with jge americans. to be honest, his wheels looked far better and 99% of the people looking at both buses would not know the difference. I have $1200 invested in my set of OG's. he has that or close to that in his JGE's. I think some people, like myself would step up to the $4500 NOS set of mag wheels that just sold on ebay, but there is no way in hell I would pay $8000 for a set of 4 wheels in todays economy! lol Twisted Evil
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a set in the $5000 - $10,000 range.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=494910

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not mine by the way...

Last edited by mr. warehouse on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glandnut Premium Member
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only so many of these wheels to go around for the big wheel ballers like Warehouse and ratlook. You both have been into wheel collecting so long that it only makes sense that you guys have them and the rest of us just want them. The others are destined to puke up the next version of Fuch fads or chromed 5 spokes or whatever repop comes along. I just roll what I dig. SA Sprints was the closest thing to my dream wheel (Keel) so there I went. Chadd is too damn greedy to part with his anyways. Laughing
But seriously, I'd roll some JGE torqer repops in a minute not because they are a repop of what I wish I had, but because I love the design of the wheel. I mean to actually be picking and choosing between mag and aluminum versions of these wheels is just completely out of most peoples' league. I'm not the man, I just stand next to the man who knows the guy with the rare wheels at the shows. Both of ya'll suck by the way!!
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 things that I have no control over.

I have to laugh my ass off every time I see a chick fall off a stripper pole

Cars with Red interiors, I'd buy the shittiest car in the world if it has nice Red interior.

Wheels, I collect them, have more than I can ever use.
I have a few styles I like and I by multple sets of all of them, it's like crack to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kills me how people want to bitch about an asking price, (that's dictated by the market), when it's as convenient as a click of the mouse or picking them up at a show. No one considers what lengths these treasure hunters travel, the time they dedicate, piles of junk they sift through. It's a full time job without retirement or a health plan that helps to keep this hobby alive. Once they sell that "real deal" item out of necessity...it's gone, perhaps forever. There's no restocking that item made from unobtainium like a store can with a repop item.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: fumagalli wheels Reply with quote

I just met a man from Brazil the other day. he was visiting all the attractions, and is a rare parts collector in Brazil. I was showing him pics of my cars and buses, and talked to him about the fumi's since they are one of my fav. wheels he said in all his days of shows and swaps, he has only seen one set sell at a show there, and they are just as rare there, as they are here in the US. even though they were made in brazil, they are no where to be found. he even purchased brazilian made motor parts here in florida, that he can not get in brazil. my point here is, that if I or anyone sells a set of wheels that are that rare, you can ask any price you feel it deserves. many of these wheels, you could not replace them for what you sell them for. Rich's wheels are pending and soon to be gone, oversea's. Greg, hang on to your wheels, so we can show some of these rare parts at the shows in the future. I understand getting really good money for parts and cars when the time is right, but we have to keep some of this stuff so we can show our 'American' roots at the car shows!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh im not griping at prices im just making an observation in General.

Oh i quite understand the economics of ""The market forces"" that still makes me feel that a wheel is a wheel and not worth the asking price of $2k per wheel. Some of us love these wheels just as others but are financially unable for whatever reason to afford the hiked huge prices that are being asked nowadays. I personally have an OG set of wide 5 sprints on my 59 vert I bought them on ebay over a period of time in 1 and two and restored them personally. They are not for sale as i couldnt afford to replace them if i did sell.

The parts hunters have a niche in the market for the Rich kids who can buy whatever they want at whatever price, I buy a lot of NOS parts for my restos but have to do it on a budget. Now i see the prices rise daily on parts which were reasonable only a year or so ago. Much of this is greed with sellers asking more and more to the few who can afford it. So Repop is the way to go for many of us, with many of the reproduced parts as good if not better than the originals as production has improved in the 20 or 30 years since they were sold originally.

If a set of wheels is listed at $5K-$10K there will always be the one buyer to whom money is no object, good for them. Im just expressing my opinion that it WONT be me. However rare and desirable they are. I use my judgement that a car must be saleable and adding $8K to a $10K car just doesnt do it for me.

WWW.TheVolksmeister.Com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion (yes everyone has one too)I think the market will back to normal once these real ARE TORQ Thrust "D" Spoke magnesium wheels have been bought up.

Who knows maybe another N.O.S set might pop up...then another and so on....you just never know....some will wait for the $25.00 set to show up at a show.....some will hunt forever....some will just pay the price and be happy....some will complain and whine about the prices seen of the real magnseium ones....there is always gonna be the repro as the alternative.

As far as the repro goes...they are cheap compaired to real ones either mag or aluminum and will be even cheaper once CIP1.com gets the boatload from China...so if you want to save your pennies and really smile wait for the repro to land and buy them up.....everyone will be happy again and a "New" afforable wheel for everyone will be on the market!

I remember when the fake BRMs hit the market...I raced down to BFY and paid over $1K for them Shocked now look how cheap the repro is ..........I could go on all day.......enjoy your Vw or parts while you can!!
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: fumagalli wheels Reply with quote

ratlookvw wrote:
Greg, hang on to your wheels, so we can show some of these rare parts at the shows in the future

My wheels aren't going any where unless some one steps up with a lot of cash. I'll get the used set on my Salesflap here soon, and still have the NOS ones to "display" and I can keep my interest while hunting for 2 more aluminum ones.
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys have fun with your Wide fives. im 5 years ahead of the curve. it is all about the 4 lug wheels and bay window middle seats. Twisted Evil

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward thinking. I like that.

I've been buyuing Bay Westy's for years. I'll trade you middle seats for caming interiors.....
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 lugs just means you're missing one.

Wide 5 is where it's at. Wink

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: vw robert Reply with quote

robert, didn't you buy those wide og sprints from me a couple years ago, shipped with your vert, right? Twisted Evil
vwrobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ratlook, Yeah i had one set from you i remember but at one time I had 3 sets of 4.5 and 5.5s I painted them all and chose the best 5 for myself.

If i remember that set from you was the best 4 and i added another.

Thanks

They are now on another vert a 59 RHD thats almost complete

WWW.TheVolksmeister.Com
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

That BRM run was crazy, wasn`t it?
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1000.00 in my set of Porsche earlies. (3 4.5's and a pair of deep 6's) including the Al Reed treatment. I own the wheels cheap, by todays standerd. When I bought them I thought I overpaid. But you gotta pay to play. With that said I wouldn't pay 6k to repurchase the wheels. And I wouln't run the flat four wheels either. Repops just aren't my bag these days. When I was getting in the Hobby I wanted to run fake BRMS. Now that I have becoming a accessory collector I don't believe in supporting the fakes. I don't look down upon those who do, just not for me. Being able to buy coveted parts new OTC, takes the fun out of it. To me the Hunt is a large part of the Fun. Taking a car out of a barn and breathing new life into it is part of the fun. Ordering everything out of a catalouge ruins it for me. Now regular resto parts I have no problems with. But for those of you Running fakes, this isn't an attack, just my feelings. And for the record I am against the new 69 camaro body's too. Rolling Eyes
cleversonsm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried for a long time .. And fortunately I found only 20 fumagallis wheels ... See how it was in my Type 261 1973 custom! ! !

Fumagallis... from Brazil!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who sells the JGE version?
die schwarzen Schafe #666
57Drag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakes are for broke fools like me.Until I find some Cosmics?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: