Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horse power in dune buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwin wrote:
darkdune wrote:
a 1915 will only produce 100HP max.. thats not too much

im buying a 2275 this winter for mine

Uhhhh...I've got a 1915 that puts out 130hp all day long...

my 1776 made 128 hp and i have driven it for over 100K miles

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had a 1915 in the late '80's that produced 124 dyno'ed HP and it lasted 106,000 miles. (went through like 10 clutches and 6 trannies tho) It was slap wore out when I finished college.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Horsepower In A F/G Buggy Reply with quote

The very first thing to remember about any engine/vehicle combination, is that there is no such thing as "too much horsepower"!!! Very Happy
I'm in the process of freshening up a 220hp reverse-rotation Corvair 6 cylinder engine that will soon be hanging off the back of my Meyers Manx!!!
Now I'll have to learn how to drive it all over again!!!
Oh, wait a minute... I'll still drive it like I stole it!!! Cool

Have FUN FUN FUN... the 'Maniac
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone ever run a 200-300hp turbo engine in their buggies??? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil just a thought of it man would that be killer.... lol

The Intelligence of a Man should not be measured by his age....

check out my sand rover t bug build! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287204
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know anyone... Confused
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A better place to talk offroad
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabeebuggy wrote:
I dont know anyone... Confused
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

funny man eh? lol but for real u putting out 200-300 hp? turbo... nice... and btw im soo jelous of your shop.. i look at it in ahhh while i murmur gaddamn lucky sonofbitches......... lol i also like the dizzy tester..... and press... man... lol but any who how does it drive??? "LIKE A RAPED APE!!" lol

check out my sand rover t bug build! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287204
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is crazy fast power.. On the dirt it will go sideways on boost. you have to work it to keep it going straight.. on the street it is just fun. It use to lift the passenger side tire off the ground in 1st and 2nd with not dropping the clutch. I added more frame to remove the flex, now it is a arm up front and 5'' longer in the wheel base 3'' wider. I don't know what it drives like yet as the new brake lines just went in and the drop down pedals are finally in.. My seats needed reinforcement as the way i had it mounted was going to fail. It now has new mounts and not mounted to the pan... all that hard off roding...

TURBO.DES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: 2332 W/FI & TURBO Reply with quote

Well, I've gone and done it......... The thing runs 18 psi of boost and absolutely flies!!
It's scary FAST ! Shocked
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a 2332 FI turbo at 18 lbs is crazy fast... I only have 2006 turbo, with Alcohol injection, soon to be FI. I know I can beat almost any car on the street. My next engine will be a 2332 EFI Turbo. Maybe even a little NOS for fun. It would be cheaper to go subi turbo.

I have run 22 lbs racing a BMW M3 on the freeway. from 60 to 80 mph I was killing him. I never did race any higher speed ,He would win and we never stopped to try it from there. I run 12 to 14 lbs.. not by choice, I just cat figure why I cant go any higher now and don't feel like taking everything apart .. I believe it is a leak after the turbo on the cold side.

vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 2275, long block built by Chico Performance Racing. Dyno results posted by Anibal of another engine with the exact same recipe made 173hp, can't remember the torque. Anyway, I think it's scary fast, I have friends that won't get in it. I can hardly imagine what 200+ horsepower would be like!

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running just under 200 HP in my Fibertech Manx. I had to change out the gas tank in the back to a stock tank up front under the nose and go with wider tires in the front to keep the front wheels on the ground. (grin, giggle, smile) I have decided to add a turbo which will put it at about 340 hp. Right now it goes like a bat out of heck. I can not wait for the etra power! I have run a 5.7 second quarter mile in my old rail before and used to race funny cars so I know what to expect. It is all about what you want your buggy to do. That is what makes buggy fever get so far under your skin. It is a disease, but I do NOT want to find the cure!
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
buickbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Horsepower in Dune Buggy Reply with quote

My buggy build is in progress, Aluminum Buick V-8 around 245hp 240ft lbs torque and only about 60lbs more than VW (have dyno time in 2 weeks and I'll know for sure) Should be enough hp for now but if not I have a supercharger ready. It should get the blood-a-pumpin though. buickbuggy
Dingleweed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
My 2332 is very streetable just don't over carb/cam a dual 44 weber and a 120 cam works for me, great torque,good idle,and 8;803@ 74mph in the 1/8 mile Cool Madmike

We have very similar motor combos.

As others have said, you can never have too much power!! If it's too much, just don't push as hard on the go pedal. My buggy would probably run a good mid to low 12 sec 1/4 mile, and will quickly put an ear-to-ear smile on your face. (I have no plans to take it to the track as the nearest one is a 2-1/2 hour drive away and I still have a relatively stock tranny)
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine is such a gas guzzler I had to add a second tank.. it does great about 30mpg on slow drives in the desert. Street I get about 10 mpg. that is race fuel mix about 4.50 a gallon.

bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabeebuggy wrote:
Well a 2332 FI turbo at 18 lbs is crazy fast... I only have 2006 turbo, with Alcohol injection, soon to be FI. I know I can beat almost any car on the street. My next engine will be a 2332 EFI Turbo. Maybe even a little NOS for fun. It would be cheaper to go subi turbo.

I have run 22 lbs racing a BMW M3 on the freeway. from 60 to 80 mph I was killing him. I never did race any higher speed ,He would win and we never stopped to try it from there. I run 12 to 14 lbs.. not by choice, I just cat figure why I cant go any higher now and don't feel like taking everything apart .. I believe it is a leak after the turbo on the cold side.

maybe thats why your getting bad gas mileage????

seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a air leak before the carbs... It has always been bad... I have a problem wanting to keep it on boost all the time Twisted Evil I slow down just to go fast again.

I will start working on sealing everything again..

69swinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz Towdster wrote:
Allright i might of got a little carried away with the idea of putting a 2387 in my Towd but it'll be fun

you might want to add a hair drier to that sucker Twisted EvilTwisted Evil
oh n fill the front wheels with water Twisted Evil
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kinds of gains do you think a guy would get changing out a progressive two barrel with dual carbs? I know nothing about duals so have shyed away from them.

Current specs
94mm Case 1776 Empi bubble top block.
Heads 044 Dual Valve Springs bored 90.5/92 (Empi Heads)
Straight cut cam Gear with adjustable timing
Electronic ignition
lightened flywheel
counter balanced crank/ polished rods (balanced)
Progressive two barrel

What are your estimates for HP on this motor. It's is in my off road rail now. Am thinking about doing the swap with the buggy......or building a new motor (haven't passed that by the war department yet) Shocked
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the Weber progressive!
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine goes into the street car I'll probably ditch it as well as the dual exhaust. I've had that carb on the off road car for years and have never touched it. Are duals that reliable?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: