Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horse power in dune buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: horse power in dune buggy Reply with quote

i wouldn't want to be impopular, but i hear people talking about big horsepower......like 200-300 horsepower.
my opinion is that if you want to go dragracing or sand dunes this is the right way the more horse power thet better result.
but if you simply want to have fun on the road (in europe cornering is driving) you need to be a professional race driver to go to the limit of over 100 hp on a dune buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High horspower is fun in turns as well. How much fun would it be to drive a F-1 car with 60hp. Think about it.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
Turbo_Manx_Maniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right around 200hp, 1915 injected and running up to 18 psi boost. The Manx is fast, but it's not scarry fast. With a small motor and big boost, it's a rush when the boost hits, but off boost I't not that excitiing. I've never understood how people can be happy with a street mannered 1915 normally asperated. Give me a 90 X 94 any day.

I can't do a wheelie, but I can smoke both 31x10.5x15's as much as I want. Just a traction issue... I'm thinking about borrowiing a friends slicks and hitting the 1/8 mile to see what it's really got.

The issue I have is not enough torque in the sand. The 1915 is short on torque off boost, then when the boost comes, it just spins the tires. So it's kinda hard on the motor screaming around on boost all day.

On hardpack, I usually powerslide the car all day long. Right foot in, turn wheel a bit, let up when the car is pointed where you want it. Fun fun fun.

On the street, I'd like more torque off boost...when I tear it down to freshen it up, an 82mm crank will be going in. I'm done with 69 cranks forever.
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to power of the 2006 but I think I may get a set of the 94 slip in's from AJ.. bring it up to a 2165 I have gobs of low end my problem is the carbs have a flat spot just off idle. I have to rev past it. so I get to use too much power on take off every time or I stumble off the start.

A better place to talk offroad
Turbo_Manx_Maniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabeebuggy wrote:
I like to power of the 2006 but I think I may get a set of the 94 slip in's from AJ.. bring it up to a 2165 I have gobs of low end my problem is the carbs have a flat spot just off idle. I have to rev past it. so I get to use too much power on take off every time or I stumble off the start.

What's a carb? Laughing

Why haven't you injected that yet?
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinbaja, what i mean is that a dune buggy with 300 hp is just like an f1 car with 1500!!!!! and tht i dont like to open throttle on straight road. because if u open all throttle in a cornering with your 300 cv dune buggy you can only be a suicide.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a dead thread but just in case it's not, I've been asking around but can't get an answer, I have an old Empi Imp I acquired and it has a 1956 25hp motor in it... I'm in the process of completely tearing the whole buggy apart and restoring it, Is 25hp going to be ok for a buggy or is it going to be Super slow? I'm worried about the car being ridiculously underpowered :/
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1956 engine is 36hp.

Slow is a relative term.

A 1600 would be a nice upgrade.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By today's standards, even in a buggy, 36hp is going to feel slow. If the motor needs rebuilt, I'd recommend getting a 1600 instead.
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
nbbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an IMP project that is getting close to hitting the road. It currently has a 1600DP in it on a 57 pan. I know slow is a relative term, but will I be able to keep up with the regular flow of traffic with this? What about the highway? Should it be able to go highway speeds comfortably?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear tire size can make a big difference with a 1600cc engine. Stay with something under 28in tall and less than 8in wide.
Or you could install close ratio 3rd and 4th gears.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your buggy will be about 600lbs lighter than a Beetle. It will cruise streets just fine. Highway, it may be too fidgety to go much over 60-65. Depends on how well the cutting and welding was done.

I had a Bounty hunter for 10 years, 8 of them with a 2276cc built by Anibal Chico. The recipe used on mine has produced 176 hp at flywheel. Two things about a big engine in a light, short wheelbase buggy.
Go easy on the loud pedal making turns. If it kicks the rear end sideways DON'T LIFT OFF THE GAS just ease off, or drift it through, or you WILL do a 360 when the weight transfers back to the front. I got all out of shape the first 50' I drove it with that engine and all I did was goose it a little. I was trying to turn left, It didn't turn. It plowed straight across the street for a curb and a chain link fence. I lifted completely off the gas and got completely sideways when the front tires dug in and the back tires broke traction from compression braking and weight transfer. I was in first gear going maybe 15 MPH. Didn't spin it, managed to save it and never even stopped. 5 minute test and back to the shop. The guys at the shop were all big eyed and grinning when I got back, the general consensus was Holy Sh!te!

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Rear tire size can make a big difference with a 1600cc engine. Stay with something under 28in tall and less than 8in wide.
Or you could install close ratio 3rd and 4th gears.

Your buggy will be about 600lbs lighter than a Beetle. It will cruise streets just fine. Highway, it may be too fidgety to go much over 60-65. Depends on how well the cutting and welding was done.

I had a Bounty hunter for 10 years, 8 of them with a 2276cc built by Anibal Chico. The recipe used on mine has produced 176 hp at flywheel. Two things about a big engine in a light, short wheelbase buggy.
Go easy on the loud pedal making turns. If it kicks the rear end sideways DON'T LIFT OFF THE GAS just ease off, or drift it through, or you WILL do a 360 when the weight transfers back to the front. I got all out of shape the first 50' I drove it with that engine and all I did was goose it a little. I was trying to turn left, It didn't turn. It plowed straight across the street for a curb and a chain link fence. I lifted completely off the gas and got completely sideways when the front tires dug in and the back tires broke traction from compression braking and weight transfer. I was in first gear going maybe 15 MPH. Didn't spin it, managed to save it and never even stopped. 5 minute test and back to the shop. The guys at the shop were all big eyed and grinning when I got back, the general consensus was Holy Sh!te!

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have been driving and playing with buggies a long time. And yes I drive a short 80in wheelbase Manx at 70 to 80MPH keeping up with the traffic flow on the freeways around where I live.
Key to having a good handling car is setting suspension correctly. Having proper amount of caster on front end is very important for it to track properly.
A shorter than stock wheelbase buggy will always have tire scrub in front as the Ackerman effect has changed. Modifying steering knuckles (not recommended) can be done to fix it.
Motion Tire Motorsports
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine drove like a street legal go-kart. F&R swaybars. lowered front and rear, kafer brace on the horns and shock towers. Mine got nervous at 80 and too fidgety over that. I have bumped up against the wrong side of the 0mph peg a couple times. I was younger then. There's only an eighth of on inch of fiberglass between you and eternity in a dune buggy.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, Gawd that car was fun. Still have the engine, it's a keeper. Wanna put it in a full fender mild off road faux class 11.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sway bars on my short wheelbase Manx, 21mm 21 3/4in rear torsion bars, front leaves upper half have been removed, oil filled shocks, rides and handles very good for a short wheelbase buggy. Problems with my own body does not allow for long trips in it without a lot of pain.

I have longer wheelbase buggy that has been driven across the country and back. Longer wheelbase = less choppiness, smoother driving on road, but does not react as quick.
Motion Tire Motorsports
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 36 horsepower in my mini-t. That is net power, so a little more than a stock 40 HP engine. It may not be fair to compare though, as my electric motor has an essentially flat band from 1200 rpm to 4000 rpm. That's 300 amps at 110 volts. Of course, I can turn it up with a laptop. Smile
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes with battery technology improving, electric motors are something to think about going to.
Though finding a place to charge the batteries in the middle of the desert may be a problem.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2014 Corvette is 3450 lbs and has 635 HP. Divide into each other you get 5.43 lbs/HP.
Dune buggy weight 1514 lbs (which is what mine weighs) with 280 HP. Again dived into each other and you get 5.40 Lbs/Hp.

Gives you some perspective.... A 1500 lbs buggy with 280 HP is running with brand new Vetts!
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: