Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safares......where are they?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks amazing! I was just gushing looking at the safare campers with all the high tops, then I see 2 of them posted with no top! Fun buses folks! Very Happy
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Dreday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I just posted a bunch of brochures, flyers, and options lists that were saved by the previous owner.

The thread is "Safare' (Spirit) Camper Literature for your viewing pleasure"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6527510#6527510

I also have the original manual for the gas stove cooktop and fridge that I will scan and post tonight. Slowly the mystery of the Safare' campers are coming to light! Very Happy
Anyone able to decode the serial numbers? Mine is XXX1 from June of 74' and I know that mine is not the first built...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrobus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: My 1971 safare camper Reply with quote

Hello bus fans I have a safari camper I bought from beetlemania in about 2002. I did drive it from cali and now I am using it mostly as a camper but it not driven or registered. It does run and the brakes were freshened up last summer. Thanks for posting this thread it has been very interesting . Posted a picture in the gallery...

Have a good one!

Mike
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun bus! Surprised
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's near Los Angeles. I've tried to buy it twice, but the owner was not interested in selling. Last time I talked to him, I saw he had three bugs in the backyard. All non-op, looked like they've been sitting for 15+ years. This one hasn't been moved in 10 years until last week, when he needed to clear the driveway. He uses it as a storage shed, and I think the interior is mostly complete. Bummer too, for such a sweet '74:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am joining the Safare club next week! I'm buying a non-op '74 in absolutely awesome condition, inside and out. Almost all of the extras were in this guy. Cool

I need to sort out the engine issues and get some new tires, but otherwise, it's in stellar shape.

(OG color was orange, so it has the yellow tabletops/burgundy vinyl combo, which I prefer. I'm probably going to keep it this color as long as the paint is in good condition, which it appears to be.)

Some minor windshield rust, a tiny bit in the door drain channel, and on the rear driver window's removable panel. Minor sideswipe by the cargo door (visible in this photo). Other than that, it really is in solid shape.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.

Last edited by guitarman63mm on Wed May 01, 2013 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:
I am joining the Safare club next week! I'm buying a non-op '74 in absolutely awesome condition, inside and out. Almost all of the extras were in this guy. Cool

I need to sort out the engine issues and get some new tires, but otherwise, it's in stellar shape.

[img]

Nice score! I dig the splitty bumper Wink

But really, I do love that color scheme and styling Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:

I need to sort out the engine issues, sell the bumper for a bay one, and get some new tires, but otherwise, it's in stellar shape.

Fixed it for you
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoastalAirCooledVW wrote:
guitarman63mm wrote:

I need to sort out the engine issues, sell the bumper for a bay one, and get some new tires, but otherwise, it's in stellar shape.

Fixed it for you

If I can sell the splitty and break even getting a new rear bumper, perhaps, but until then... I'm not going to spend money on aesthetic stuff until it runs well. Wink

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some fun looking fiberglass there! Cool
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
That's some fun looking fiberglass there! Cool

Could use a wash or two. Wink

Wait, I have a relevant question for you Safare guys!!!

I was told that the seal for my top is missing. Will a westy seal work? Is it just any old u-shaped rubber channel seal??

Someone in another thread mentioned this site: http://www.perfectfit.com/15976/Weatherstrip--Trims.html

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to guess that a westy seal won't work because they are not made to go around the entire roof as one peice like the high top needs. On my Adventurewagen the seal is only on the front above the windshield, but I read that some early tops had no seal, someone will know what you need though. Surprised
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update this. I now own a 1974 Safaré #10079, it resides here in Tampa, FL. Brought it back from Western Pennsylvania, and it was previously from California, as I think most of them are. 91k original miles on the odometer. I have a resto thread I'm working on, but I'm focusing on actually doing the work before I start making more posts. Cool

guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I just added all of these photos to my gallery from my owner's manual. I have the owner's manual for the Trav'ler stove. I'll post this in my resto thread too.

Also, here is the wiring diagram to the original fridge. No idea where the PO managed to find this. My bus has a Norcold AC/DC fridge that was installed in the 90's, I don't think this is the diagram to mine. Can anyone clarify?

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some COOL pictures man! thanks for posting them!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buscuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Safares....Where are they? Reply with quote

Thanks, guitarman. Your post added much data. I didn't know Safare had an operation in San Leandro.

It's a clean-looking bus. I hope you get it back on the road soon where you can enjoy it.

Please keep us up to date.

'73 Safare poptop

A society is as lax as its language.
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares....Where are they? Reply with quote

Buscuss wrote:
Thanks, guitarman. Your post added much data. I didn't know Safare had an operation in San Leandro.

It's a clean-looking bus. I hope you get it back on the road soon where you can enjoy it.

Please keep us up to date.

I dig it, I feel like we're historians of a sort. Cool

Here's the manual to the Trav'ler stove. I tried looking for parts on eBay, but I can't find much of anything about this company. My bus has the 302-20 model installed, do we all have the same one? It uses 3/8" copper tubing and the obvious flare fittings, but mine also has a three-way ball valve behind the passenger seat, do you guys have that as well? My PO appeared to have cut out most of the metal behind the passenger seat to give adequate ventilation to the Norcold fridge that was installed...I assume you guys do not have this piece cut out?

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen the "Travelounge" model. Anyone have one or a photo of one?
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares....Where are they? Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:

Here's the manual to the Trav'ler stove. I tried looking for parts on eBay, but I can't find much of anything about this company. My bus has the 302-20 model installed, do we all have the same one? It uses 3/8" copper tubing and the obvious flare fittings, but mine also has a three-way ball valve behind the passenger seat, do you guys have that as well? My PO appeared to have cut out most of the metal behind the passenger seat to give adequate ventilation to the Norcold fridge that was installed...I assume you guys do not have this piece cut out?

Well, I had a thought on that company. I have a Fire Magic BBQ and years ago I drove to Proctor Ave. in The City of Industry, to get parts. The place that makes them is http://www.rhpeterson.com/contact-rhp/ maybe it is the same company that made yours since it is the same spot.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:

Interesting that the optional tent is the same White Stag tent that Riviera offered, and that the Safare' Special appears to have the same pop top roof as a Riviera.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: