Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The vintage accessory you would most like to see reproduced
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
headlight flasher

Thanks.......my German sucks. SWF made one of those for the directional switch. Pull back and it flashes the light. The Huma horn button also can flash the lights but I'd like to see any more pictures you have of that particular one.
HENRY'S 51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
No issue there............Henry has stepped up many times and paid top dollar for some of the rarest accessories out there. Henry is a real collector who has his priorities in order.......he only missed my radio by a couple of days and realized that Gary's copy would actually work a lot better in his car. He could wait another couple of years for a restored Monza. Much better to enjoy the car and a radio together. I look forward to seeing his car this weekend.
Thanks Bob....I just felt that this car wasn't the one... Wink It has to many modifications. I Will have the right car soon and I'll be giving you a call......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porkchop
The Other White Meat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree that repops should be clearly labeled as such. That is being a "wanna be" or "poser" right there, when your shit is labeled or marked identical as OG and isn't.

Bob, how adversely have repops affected the OG market that you've noticed? Serious question. I would just tend to believe that the guys that are gonna spend the bones on an OG part wouldn't even be phased by the existence of a repop.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porkchop wrote:
I fully agree that repops should be clearly labeled as such. That is being a "wanna be" or "poser" right there, when your shit is labeled or marked identical as OG and isn't.

Bob, how adversely have repops affected the OG market that you've noticed? Serious question. I would just tend to believe that the guys that are gonna spend the bones on an OG part wouldn't even be phased by the existence of a repop.

Depends on the price of the original you are talking about. Personally, I have not seen prices of high dollar accessories affected much at all, but I have seen people trying to sell the repos as original at a reduced price.........which in my opinion is the real problem with any quality reproduction. Horn buttons had been most affected IMO. Why spend $1000 for a real Porsche or Sun and Moon or St. Christopher.........when even an "expert" would have a very hard time telling the difference once the repo is on the car. That seems a real issue for the collector of original material; if there is no way to tell the difference once it is on the car, then fraud can occure with the sale of that car.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a vendor selling parts in the latest Hot VW's listed as NOS but meaning (New original Stock). Somewhat misleading even though it is clearified in the ad.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
When and if VW's reach a concours level in judging, those guys will be giving the fakes away.

Exactly. My objection to reproduction accessories isn’t about money as much as it’s about how they change people’s idea of what constitutes a “correct” restoration.

They are to Volkswagens what steroids are to baseball. They distort the game.

I mean, so much of the charm of these cars is their simplicity. Very few cars ever had the accessory clocks or fuels gauges or whatever installed originally, but today most show car owners think they are mandatory.

Maybe 1 car in 50 ever had a fuel gauge installed. Without reproductions that ratio would probably be reflected in the show cars—maybe one car in 25 might have a gauge just because supply and demand would dictate that. With reproductions out there the natural limits are removed, and all of a sudden they become “standard” on cars.

I realize the flip side is that more people get to enjoy the accessory, and if it makes them happy then that’s all good. I just think we’re in danger of losing the concept of what made the VW so unique back in the day.

Of course the same thing could be said for paint color or a dozen other things too. Every time someone restores a car to whatever the popular color of the year is, that distorts things too.

I guess that’s why nothing catches my eye at a show more than a bone-stock standard model restored with the original color and without a single accessory. To me the beauty is in the simplicity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:

I mean, so much of the charm of these cars is their simplicity. Very few cars ever had the accessory clocks or fuels gauges or whatever installed originally, but today most show car owners think they are mandatory.

Maybe 1 car in 50 ever had a fuel gauge installed. Without reproductions that ratio would probably be reflected in the show cars—maybe one car in 25 might have a gauge just because supply and demand would dictate that. With reproductions out there the natural limits are removed, and all of a sudden they become “standard” on cars.

Agreed, a classic example of this is safari windows on buses.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
coad wrote:

Also an example of companies flooding the market with crappy repro's.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess that’s why nothing catches my eye at a show more than a bone-stock standard model restored with the original color and without a single accessory. To me the beauty is in the simplicity.

X2... I completely agree. What if people just restored the car to the specs of the Birth Cert (assuming they are accurate Rolling Eyes ), and only installed the accessories listed with M-codes.

These days it seems like every oval better have a ragtop and popouts, or it belongs in the parking lot. This only encourages butchery, because somewhere there is a car with no roof, that may have been restorable, but with more work involved.

Instead of repro-ing horn buttons and radios, lets focus on correct sheet metal to save some of these old girls from the sawsall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frankly think that no accessory should be repro'd (although I do have a fake bambus shelf in my zwitter). Yes necessary parts should be. Like wipers aren't a bad thing to repro, especially if you drive your car. Now this past summer I've been showing my zwitter at regional shows and other than the parcel shelf it has all authentic accessories, including a stickshift ashtray. Alot of people ask what it is and laugh when I tell them. It's an interesting thing but I gotta tell, it's one of the most ridiculous things and I don't know why anyone would repro it. It gets in the way more than anything. I here ya Bob when it comes to horn buttons.

Dave
porkchop
The Other White Meat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
coad wrote:

But Safari's serve a purpose which is needed today in those buses: ventilation. To me, they are more function than form.

I can agree that it is underhanded to try to pass of a repop as OG, especially in the sale of a car where it is installed and a difference can't be easily seen. I believe they have their place, if they are done honestly and identified as such. Of course, I'm the same guy that will paint my bug a custom color, with an incorrect interior and slam it to the ground, but to each their own. I can still take in the beauty of one correctly restored to it's original, stock form as well.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porkchop wrote:

But Safari's serve a purpose which is needed today in those buses: ventilation. To me, they are more function than form.

Using that logic, you can find a reason for most accessories.

clock - so you won't be late for your appointment at the beauty parlour
radio - so you can listen to traffic updates
toolkit - convenient place for tools in case of a break down
roofrack - to carry stuff
popouts - for ventilation
dash fan - for ventilation
horn ring - to operate the horn without taking your hand of the wheel
cigarette lighter - so you are not trying to get matches out of your pocket
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the window screens so you don't have to roll down the windows.
porkchop
The Other White Meat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
porkchop wrote:

Using that logic, you can find a reason for most accessories.

clock - so you won't be late for your appointment at the beauty parlour
radio - so you can listen to traffic updates
toolkit - convenient place for tools in case of a break down
roofrack - to carry stuff
popouts - for ventilation
dash fan - for ventilation
horn ring - to operate the horn without taking your hand of the wheel
cigarette lighter - so you are not trying to get matches out of your pocket

Laughing Good point!
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KantDriveFast wrote:
Quote:

X2... I completely agree. What if people just restored the car to the specs of the Birth Cert (assuming they are accurate Rolling Eyes ), and only installed the accessories listed with M-codes.

These days it seems like every oval better have a ragtop and popouts, or it belongs in the parking lot. This only encourages butchery, because somewhere there is a car with no roof, that may have been restorable, but with more work involved.

Instead of repro-ing horn buttons and radios, lets focus on correct sheet metal to save some of these old girls from the sawsall.

I also agree on most of these points. If the world was a perfect place and fair for everyone, and assuming everyone had enough time, skills, resources, tools, space, undertanding spouses, and cash, yes paying attention to the car to restore it to its original glory to a high degree of competency should come first, its almost a responsibility that hobbyists should accept first and foremost before entering, and then paying it forward.

I'm also fortunate to own a completely bone stock show car level (April 04 HotVWs feature car) beryl green 61 ragtop. The car stands by itself with how it left the factory period, thats how I want it, for its simplicity period, as it pays tribute solely to the car itself. Even with the best of accessories on it most folks would be completely blinded by the restoration work.

So while yes the focus should be on the cars first, if you were to peruse the larger events you'll notice nearly the opposite. So as I see it, yet again, what we really have here is a discussion and debate masquerading itself as rather uptight elitist and purist like ideals in favor of the more relaxed and easy going cultural and social lifestyle aspects of the hobby. For some reason, even sacrilege to the vision of these cars, some folks like to create boundaries and dividing lines between others, whether it be with cars or accessories.

I see it at shows all the time, and theres a steady increase between folks that don't and won't mix, the have and have nots (even with VWs of all things), and there is always tension around, always. If we're in fear of losing anything its the sense of the whole and perhaps the ideal that brought most of us together in the first place (rich or poor).

But before I dare go all kum-ba-ya here, the reality is instead of picking on accessories as being a major problem in the hobby, and while it may be problematic at times, show and event planners could address this with just some simple rules so the purists and elitists could win their trophies fair and square, so write them and your congressman if it bothers you that much, change the rules so we can all move on.

For me, I'd just like to see due diligence done to the majority of cars out there that are hacks, hacked together, half running, and done well... half you-know-what. Nothing endangers the longevity of the hobby like the loss of knowledge on how to keep the cars even together and running. Every vintage VW (even supposed show ready cars) I've ever bought has been riddled with problems, dozens of headaches for folks that just lose interest since their options and know-how has just run out. Nothing drops the value of vintage cars like a loss of interest. So this instead is the real danger ahead. Nothing frustrates me more than things not done right, and when I go to shows its about ALL I see.

Just for clarity though, for those that like to continually envision or dream up the great evil that exists over here, in reality restoration work is the focus, reproducing things is second, as it should be. The focus here isn't flooding the market with rings and gauges and radios, probably 95% of these things we do repro are being bought by folks that have already paid attention to their car's first. Most folks with a nicely restored car sometimes want to add a touch of style to their car when its done, and when they look around they can't find anything rare and original that is anywhere near the condition of their car, even if they have the cash. With SO many more show cars on the scene the past few years, options are just running out, as there are only so many show quality accessories out there and THATS the reality too. Therefore, if there simply wasn't a demand, I and a few others wouldn't be doing what we do. Thats how I started, couldn't find what I wanted for my own cars, so I made it.

Forums and such make a great contribution to the hobby at times, but they also clearly alienate alot of good people, and they sometimes create an unhealthy imbalance of opinions, which is why you have 20X as many lurkers as you do posters just observing all the time. Expressing opinions are fine but sometimes we all need to open up our thinking a bit and reorganize our priorities time to time.

Gary
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOXCRAFT MOUNTING HARDWARE PLEASE, I NEED 3 OF EM.
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasbrown54 wrote:

why can't you just make them.? seems like a very easy design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasbrown54 wrote:

http://www.bigjims.net/hwarekits.htm
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a NEW accessory made from a current reproduction. How about ball-gags made from accessory shift pattern knobs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
What is that Lichthupe........? Hornlight?

Bob... Here's a Lichthupe I fabbed for my dash. It's used to flash my headlights right before I power slide and drift around them slow ass Ferrari's. Laughing Personally I think it looks kinda cool and it flashes my highbeams without having to turn on my headlights.

I'm thinking of making repro's, should I or shouldn't I ? Think

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/quote]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: