Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 Safari and '73 Thing; same basics?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Talosian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: '71 Safari and '73 Thing; same basics? Reply with quote

I'm looking to get some shocks (4/front/Rear) and can't read the name on what's on there now.

Will I be safe to use a set that says it's for a 1973 Thing?

Any other suggestions will help and be appreciated.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 71 may have swing axle with reductors, so it probably uses the same shock as a late model Vocho.
The 73 should have IRS. This shock will require a small spacer on each side of the bottom in order to fit the bottom of the trailing arm. Some manufacturers make a unique shock for IRS with a longer bottom bushing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ramirez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: 71 safari Reply with quote

hi,talosian
hi, bruce,(when are you coming to mexico?)
talosian, in guadalajara is a vw shop, the owner is a safari fanatic, in fact he´s the "vwsafarigdl" club president, i will introduce you to the club, there is a friendly people, you can find me most of saturday´s, i´ll glad to meet you there.
hasta la vista.
Ramirez.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Ramirez,
I don't know when I will be in MX next.....hey, I just got back!
You should post your web site URL so everyone can check out the local Safaris in Guadalaraja.
ramirez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is http://vwsafarigdl.com/
everybody is welcome.
saludos.Ramirez.
Talosian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 71 safari Reply with quote

Thanks. I sort of understood the site with my very basic ability to read Spanish (I'm still learning). I am checking the location on a map from Chapala. Does he have parts (small and large)?

I have been going to the area in Guadalajara where there are blocks and blocks of auto places with new/used parts and some stores that specialize in VW stuff, but it's hit and miss there and a long drive for me.

Does he do tops and upholstery? I can always order online from the U.S. as I have a freind who comes here every couple of months who can bring things, but I prefer "local."

Will keep all the information and hopefully become more educated.

If you want, feel free to PM me or send to my regular email.

Thanks again.

[quote="ramirez"]hi,talosian
hi, bruce,(when are you coming to mexico?)
talosian, in guadalajara is a vw shop, the owner is a safari fanatic, in fact he´s the "vwsafarigdl" club president, i will introduce you to the club, there is a friendly people, you can find me most of saturday´s, i´ll glad to meet you there.
hasta la vista.
Ramirez.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: