Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Marks on Stock Pulley
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suck on it. You should create vacuum and if you pop the cap, you will see the point plate rotate.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pottie mouth... No need to get biligerant!

Seriously...which if the two hoses do I felate?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a hose on it, it's the vacuum fitting that points toward the front of the car, and suck on the other end, and watch the breaker plate for motion. it will take a pretty strong suction to move. It should hold vacuum as well. If it doesn't hold vacuum, and the hose isn't leaking, the diaphragm has gone bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going out for the suck fest right now.
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moves the plate and holds excellently. Thanks guys.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Just a note.....
When cylinders # 1 & 3 are TDC, the case mark is up and the crank pulley key is 90 degrees to the LEFT from the case seam........
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Interesting.

The pulley that came on my early bay had a TDC mark from the factory, and I noticed it was about 13* off from the new one I installed last year. This picture made me feel better about my new one, but have you ever seen an aftermarket pulley as incorrect as mine? I'll post pictures if I can find them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lebleboojian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: 1500cc engine Reply with quote

I have a single port 1500cc engine. I'm trying to align the pulley with cam and distributor alignment. help
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1500cc engine Reply with quote

Lebleboojian wrote:
I have a single port 1500cc engine. I'm trying to align the pulley with cam and distributor alignment. help

You will need to provide more info if you want help.
    Do you have a stock pulley or an aftermarket "degreed pulley"?
    If it is stock, does it have a (TDC) dimple on the rear facing lip?
    How many notches? Look back a few pages and determine which stock pulley you have.

What model distributor do you have installed? (Use a mirror and look at the front side of the distributor body for the numbers stamped into the metal body)

The crank and the camshaft are "aligned" when the case is assembled. The index marks on the crank+ cam gears are meshed. There is no adjustment to this once the case is sealed.
    The crank pulley is directly mounted to the crank with no adjustments. This means the cam and crank pulley are also indexed by default.
    *The only problem here is if you have a cheap crank pulley which is incorrectly marked.
    What kind of crank pulley alignment are you trying to make?

The distributor CAN be adjusted. Either by adjusting the timing in the normal way (small adjustments in distributor position that effect ignition timing), or by removing the distributor and reindexing the drive gear below the distributor. The drive gear has 12-teeth which means you can make large 30-deg (camshaft deg) changes in the position of the #1 cylinder spark plug wire around the distributor cap.
    Did you want to change where #1 cylinder was around the distributor cap? Or area tough just trying to set the timing?
    Normally, the drive gear is installed in the stock position and left there for the life of the engine.
    *If you were to move the engine into a T2 Bus or T3 you might re-index the drive gear to orient the distributor correctly in the new engine compartment.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after read all that pages I assume that the just one 'v' notch pulley on the 1600 AB engine in the 68 bay I'm timing stands for 5* ATDC... Right?
Pulley is 170mm diameter...
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:
So after read all that pages I assume that the just one 'v' notch pulley on the 1600 AB engine in the 68 bay I'm timing stands for 5* ATDC... Right?

For the record, AB engine never came in a new Volkswagen to the USA, so I don't know much about what it would have come with Confused

Second, and again this goes for everyone with a stock pulley, there is absolutely no way of knowing if your pulley is the same that came on your engine from the factory. A US '68 bay would have had two notches for 7.5* and 10*, and a dimple for TDC. Only cars with vacuum retard capabilities (usually '71 plus) have ATDC markings.

EDIT: corrected some of my narrow world view Cool

Last edited by airschooled on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
xavi_242 wrote:

First off, an AB engine never came in a new Volkswagen. AB and AD were both 1600 replacement cases offered from the factory as parts. They were then built since '73 in Mexico, Brazil, and Germany..

According to this listing the AB case was used for the '71-'73 1300cc non-US T1 engine, and xavi_242 is located in Spain.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

xavi_242, the only real way to know what your single notch represents is to measure. Two methods that I can think of:
    1) Insert a TDC tool into #1 spark plug hole. Rotate the crank until it is almost at TDC. Tighten the tool until it contacts the piston. Chalk mark the crank pulley where it meets the case split. Rotate the engine almost one revolution in the opposite direction until the piston again contacts the TDC tool. Chalk mark the pulley again. Now make a permanent mark half-way between the two marks. This is your true TDC. If your single notch is counter-clockwise from this TDC mark it is 5ATDC.

2) Remove the crank pulley. Print out this degree wheel.

Line up the 270° mark with the center of the woodruff key slot in the inner diameter of the pulley. The 0° mark on the paper wheel will be TDC.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
xavi_242 wrote:

First off, an AB engine never came in a new Volkswagen. AB and AD were both 1600 replacement cases offered from the factory as parts. They were then built since '73 in Mexico, Brazil, and Germany..

According to this listing the AB case was used for the '71-'73 1300cc non-US T1 engine, and xavi_242 is located in Spain.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

Whoops… d'oh! Thank you!

For anyone using the print-out pulley, make sure you print it out at the right size, or your marks may be a little off. Printers tend to thing that they know what's best when it comes to size Confused
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

2) Remove the crank pulley. Print out this degree wheel.
Line up the 270° mark with the center of the woodruff key slot in the inner diameter of the pulley. The 0° mark on the paper wheel will be TDC.[/list]

Actually, I think you only would need to remove the pulley bolt and washer to do this.

You can use a plastic drinking straw on the piston top to determine TDC through the spark plug hole. Do NOT use a pencil, or you'll be crying about an eraser stuck in your combustion chamber.

With that printed pulley diagram, you can also mark like 30-32 BTDC which would be total advance at like 3000 rpm no matter what distributor you have.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what, it's all about where TDC actually is. There are various ways to get in the ballpark but a stop tool and the correct proceedure is the only real dead nuts method.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-...enter+tool
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys!
Will try to find TDC with some of the above methods and then figure what that notch is.

Thanks!
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming what I have is a stock pulley but not 100%.

I have 2 marks that when I held up to the degree templates are ~ 3 degree difference so I am assuming the notches are 7.5 and 10.

The interesting thing is on the opposite side of the pulley there is a single notch but it doesn't correspond in an exact line opposite of the 0 degree mark I made using the templates lining up the 7 and 10 degree mark as reference.

Dizzy is 0-231-137-009

the white painted marks to the left I just painted on using the template held to 7 and 10

Found a little oil puddle when I took the pulley tin off now I got to keep an eye on it lol
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is probably okay to use the timing marks... you should base your marks off a known good index. That would be the woodruff key slot at 270-deg. Center and align the 270-deg line through the center of the key slot.

The notch at the 180-deg point is probably for setting valve gap on cylinders #2 & #4. Being off by a few degrees here won't make any difference in the valve gap. Just be sure not to use this notch for ignition timing.
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for a wood-ruff key and didn't see it. I am known to be blind do you have to take stuff apart to get to the key?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkind wrote:
I was looking for a wood-ruff key and didn't see it. I am known to be blind do you have to take stuff apart to get to the key?

You will need to remove the crank pulley bolt/washer to see the key slot in the crank:

In the above pic you can see the slot at 9-o'clock and the white TDC mark at 12-o'clock.
Randyfukeway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Cylinder #3 Fires at 7.5 BTDC Reply with quote

FINALLY got myself a '74 Beetle yesterday. I was checking the timing and cylinder#3 fires at 7.5 BTDC. I know enough about checking the timing and making the necessary adjustments. I am not sure what to do with this situation. Is this a big deal, or should I do something different?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: