Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Marks on Stock Pulley
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrockGrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird it must have some meaning.
Other wise why stamp the big D on it, LOL.

I can see it now:
Boss - "My nephew needs a job."
Foreman - "We don't have any open positions"
Boss - "Make a job!"
Foreman - "OK"

Later that day:

Nephew - "What does the D stand for?"
Foreman - "We lost the B punch so we are using the D to mark which side of the pulley goes toward the rear of the car. Get back to work...."
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my buddies pully just has two V's cut out on the back "engine" side of the pully and no other marks... any idea on which is TDC/BTDC ? We can't figure it out and we need to set his timing so he can get my super he bought from me rollin' the streets again with his engine and this is the last thing needed doing.... He has a 009 dist which I know how to set at full adv. 3500+rpm 28*-32*BTDC but ????? which mark to go by is unknown and I looked the pully over hard and can't find any other marking of any kind Evil or Very Mad
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close are those two V's together? Just a couple of millimeters? If so they are probably 7.5 and 10BTDC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itfitz98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well this was very helpful. I am having some valve adjustment issues and had some confusio of where TDC was. So now I know. the only question is if the rotor should point exactly to the mark on the dizzy AND the notch be lined up with the center of the case. And if they dont, what to do about it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For valve adjustment, it doesn't have to be exactly 100% TDC, it can be a few degrees off on either side and still adjust OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
( o\_/o )
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im glad i saw this.... timeing was way off with my static timer Embarassed Rolling Eyes finally found my timing gun and it drives so much nice Very Happy, and i can finally get on the gas without worrying about the advace screwing up.

thanks a lot guys
gvmmr2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: i cant start my 73 beetle Reply with quote

hey i just rebuilt the engine on my 73 beetle, but now that i have every thing back i cant start. but im not sure if i put the spark plugs back right. i have spark and fuel but does not start. any help
roadster49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have your spark plug wires in the firing order and the notch on the distributor as number 1.
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a 74 standard beetle with 1 v on the pulley. any ideas?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a dimple on there too, the rounded thingy on the outer section? It should, if it's a pulley made in the early 70s that is. Just compare the dimple to the 7.5 before and 5 after, it's very likely one or the other of those two choices.
rriconoscuito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine has the one v knotch on the front part of the pulley and thats it is that tdc or is there something im not seeing and i dont have a mark on the motor that i can see or i dont know were it is
slickrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benchracer1 wrote:
got a 74 standard beetle with 1 v on the pulley. any ideas?
did you ever figure out if the single notch was 5 or 7.5? I have a 74 also and a single notch on the pulley.

I would guess the nothc stands for 5 ATDC and I should set that in the center of the split ccase when timing?
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I'm not sure what the single mark means either... I have a '74 Standard Beetle that has only one mark as well. If no one else answers this, I should be getting a degree pulley soon, & I can match up where the mark is to the degree pulley. Don't hold your breath though, I'm not sure when my Buddy's bringing the Dizzy & Pulley to me. He's over 100 miles away! With gas prices the way they are, I don't see him coming untill he's ready to make the journey... Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sakajama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the information about distribuitor advance and regulation of valves, are very utility, for me, hellos
clonezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66 Shorty, my pulley had the 1 mark as well. I pulled it off and matched it to the paper template that is posted here earlier. It ended up being 5 ATDC.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMC-12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to keep beating this dead horse but I've put the seeds of doubt into my own head.

I totally understand the difference between the "dimple" and the "v" on the pulley. My only question is, where should the "V" be when looking at it with a strobe timing light. Does anyone have any pics of the "v" in the proper positions?

I mean, if the dimple is TDC, and I'm supposed to be 7.5 BTDC, then the dimple AND the "V" should be to the right of the split in the case, correct? Also, when checking your advance, how far to the left of the split should the "V" go?

Glenn's initial pic shows the dimple on the split which to me, means 0 degrees. And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round... Embarassed
TS Logo 1981 DeLorean DMC-12
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v would be to the right of the dimple. When you time it statically (engine off), the light would come on when #1 cylinder is about to fire, so the v notch is lined up with the case centerline.

If you use a strobe timing light here's what you do depending on what kind of timing light you have. I'm assuming your distributor requires 7.5 deg BTDC advance.

- With a standard light, at idle, the v notch would line up with the case centerline. A better way to set timing is at max advance. Paint a white line 30 deg to the right of the dimple, then get the rpms up to 3500. Adjust the distributor so the white line lines up with the case centerline. This diagram can help you with the 30 deg mark.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- If you have an advance timing light (where you can dial in the advance right on the light), paint the white line at the dimple (0 deg), and set the light to 30 deg. Then spin the engine to 3500 and line up the white line with the case centerline.

edit: I'm assuming you time your distributor to 30 BTDC at 3500 rpm, typically with vacuum hoses disconnected and plugged, but confirm your setup first.
DMC-12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang....the "v" should be seen on the case split??? That's my problem all along! I thought the "v" would be to the right of the case split. No friggin' wonder.

I have the variable advance timing light so I can also check the max advance timing.
TS Logo 1981 DeLorean DMC-12
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whit 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:

- If you have an advance timing light (where you can dial in the advance right on the light), paint the white line at the dimple (0 deg), and set the light to 30 deg. Then spin the engine to 3500 and line up the white line with the case centerline.

Thanks!!!! i just got an advance timing light with a digital readout, RPMS and advance and had no IDEA how it worked.. (haven't tried yet but now i have a guide.. )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: