Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Marks on Stock Pulley
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: VW Pulleys Link to pictures Reply with quote

I am working on my wife's '72 SB (Idle problem) and found this page. Would love to hear your thoughts on the info contained there. I have the notch and 5 degrees ATDC pulley.
Tim

http://beetle.motorious.org/wiki/Engine_and_clutch_(stock)/Crankshaft_pulleys

sorry about the link guys...I think the ( and ) characters prevent it from working properly. Copy the link the way out through the 's' in pulleys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparisons on that page.

I see they listed a pulley with 5°ATDC and 30°BTDC, with "picture needed" - I don't think they're going to find any original stock pulley with those marks on it. I've never seen one. I've added marks to pullies down there though, usually at 32° for me.

And speaking of which..... I did recently clean up, paint and install the pulley shown towards the very top of this thread onto one of my bugs. Afterwards I took this photo, and then I noticed in one photo that it also had 32° and 35° marks on it that I'd put on there years ago, so I went and captioned it for future reference in case I ever needed it. I haven't had any reason to post it yet though, so I guess I'll do it now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet! You've covered all the bases with those markings...Smile
Tim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info
sdj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: 30 degrees BTDC at 3500 RPMs - Reply with quote

Would you guys say this setting would work for a 71 1600 DP motor with a Pertronix electronic (mechanically advanced) dizzy?

I have a dial adjustable timing light so I am going to try it tonight. The car runs well but I want to make sure I am getting all I can out of it.

Thx,
SDJ

--WTB cheap front and rear fenders for a '64 T1--
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 30 degrees BTDC at 3500 RPMs - Reply with quote

sdj1 wrote:
Would you guys say this setting would work for a 71 1600 DP motor with a Pertronix electronic (mechanically advanced) dizzy?

I have a dial adjustable timing light so I am going to try it tonight. The car runs well but I want to make sure I am getting all I can out of it.

Thx,
SDJ

What model is your distributor? Confused
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 30 degrees BTDC at 3500 RPMs - Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
sdj1 wrote:

Thx,
SDJ

What model is your distributor? Confused

It's their "flamethrower" line for type 1 vdubs -

Here's a link to the same one I have - http://www.carparts.com/Distributor-Accessories/GP_2012756_N__10618.car

Thx

--WTB cheap front and rear fenders for a '64 T1--
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just a Chineese copy of a 009 with a points replacement module.

Time it this way...

http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/bosch009.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dravin21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok kermits pully is not like those .. he has a TDC mark on the front side and 3 notches on back side but on the inside of that lip rather then the outside .... pully has 71AH stamped on the back side too
green 73' SB "kamakaze kermit"
yellow peg perego magica soon to be "mini kermit"

four little pistons beating them selves silly to turn out 40 horsepower

POP POW BANG "burns oil and backfires but it runs!!!"(o\0!0/o)
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dravin21 wrote:
ok kermits pully is not like those .. he has a TDC mark on the front side and 3 notches on back side but on the inside of that lip rather then the outside .... pully has 71AH stamped on the back side too

Post a picture of your pulley. Many times people have filed other notches in pulleys and it can be hard to tell what is what.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some aftermarket pullies with some poorly made notches. Engines overhauled by Vege come with pullies with all 4 marks that look like they were made with a hacksaw blade.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Get a degree pulley.

2. When building your engine before it's all assembled and you still have access to the crank rod journal, put on the pulley and compare with the case split line. Then you know where the pulley TDC is.

3 Make an adjustable solid stop to screw in the plug hole. Adjust it to stop the piston just before the top. Mark the pulley. Rotate the crank backwards until it again hits the stop. Make another mark.carefully measure between your two new marks and locate the half way point. That's TDC.

Other methods basically tell you when the piston is at the top of it's travel. Don't forget that at the top of the movement arc there is an amount of swing of the crank where the piston basically is motionless. So just running a piston to the top you might miss the real TDC by a few degrees. So if you really want to know TDC do 1 or 2 or 3.

Obviously, trying to interpret notches on stock pulleys is apt to get you in trouble.
chrisruff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
This should help.

This has been my problem all along! Now I know that the funny dent/dimple is TDC. Now it is time to re-do my valves and then set the timing!
HUZZAH!
iaccy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if I don't have a TDC mark on my pulley for my 40hp engine and the only notches I have on the pulley are these two?

'67 Beetle (sold) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3289202#3289202
OG '63 Beetle http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444566
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those should be 7.5 and 10BTDC. If you want(or even need) to make a TDC mark of some kind with a file or a paint marker, it's not hard to figure out - there's that degree wheel you can print out previous in this thread.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Those should be 7.5 and 10BTDC.

Remember that "should" and "are" are two different things. "Might be" is another term that can be thrown in there.
phoney36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this thread was up several weeks ago. I've been wrestling with my timing and couldn't seem to get it dialed in. I have the lower pulley keifernet shows in his picture at the beginning of this thread. Because of the condition of my pulley, I thought the 'dent' in the front of the pulley was just a ding from a hammer or something. As soon as I timed it to that mark my bug seems to run wonderfully.

But... I just realized as I was reading this thread that I had set my valves to the notch ATDC so I think my valves are probably off just a bit. I guess I've got to check/reset them tomorrow morning and see how things run.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, in that whole general area a few degrees to either side of TDC your valves should still be OK to adjust.
-Andy
candymustang65
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but Desert bus man has a good point on exact true TDC .
Something you should pay attention too or at least consider when timming .
Often the case splitt isnt a true TDC in fact it can be off by quite a bitt ?
This is where a good degree pulley and finding true TDC and a sharpie, come intoo play for fine tunne-ing .
Often when a Engine is rebuilt I will use a metal scribe point to make my own TDC mark on the case .
This is something that is generally done when Degree-ing the Cam shaft to the crank .
Case halve's apart ?
But as the Desert Bus Man describes you dont have to be dismantled to find a true TDC and mark your case appropriately .
The best Teacher for timming is a stroboscopic Timming light and a degree pulley installed .
Then just start playing with your Timming light and timming .
After a while you will began to figure out exactly where your sweet spot really is !!
See there were qaulity control's in place at the factory .
At the factory they did not degree the camm on every Engine that came out .
Instead they would pull the occassional motor of the line check and degree the camm to the crank then make crank key way or cammm lobe posistion adjustment's to correct the problem .
If I had to guess here ?
That advertised 53 Horse's was probably one of the engine's they pulled of the line and corrected ?
Real horse power truth on most engine's and or a engine that was put out torward's the end of a runn is probably around 50 to 52 horse's ?
Least that's my understanding of it ?
Maybe we have a serious Bugg addict in here that actually has some info on exactly what factory procedure's were etc. ?
Trivia : On my desk I actually have a stock OEM V.W. rocker that was runn as in I found it in a blown motor .
It is perfect except for one oil port was never drill'ed the one that goe's to the push rod .
End result as I remember it was Cracked lifter bore and finally stuck a valve ?
Came from the factory this way as it is one of my more interesting find's ?
So much for Qaulity control ? LMAO
Gotta ask how many people worked on this rocker and didnt catch it ?
Possibly the Drill press operator was distracted or injured himself or was it quittin time friday or saturday ?
I just love Old stuff like fossil's that can tell a story .
Maybe I will post a pic of My petrified Dinasaur Egg < tell's a story of it's own ? LMAO
Sean
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought this sticky could use a few more pics to help out those wondering what the markings on their stock pulleys were. Here is a table that was only partially shown on the first page. It shows the pulleys by engine code, year and transmission.

But after decades it is quite possible the engine you are looking at no longer has it's original pulley. So pics and descriptions of the marks might be more helpful. The below pics have the pulleys oriented as you would see them looking into the rear of the engine (top edge is front of car). The notches along the front lip and the "dimple" on the rear lip are highlighted in yellow.

The above pulley is from an early 1200cc. The single notch indicates 10BTDC.

The above pulley has three notches (from left to right):
TDC - 7.5BTDC - 10BTDC

While this pulley looks like the first one, it came off a later model engine. The single notch indicates 5ATDC.

The above pulley has a single notch to the right of the TDC dimple (rear-bottom pulley lip). The notch is 7.5BTDC.

The above pulley has a single notch to the left of the TDC dimple. The notch is 5ATDC.

This last pulley has only two notches and no TDC dimple. The notches are 7.5BTDC and 10BTDC.

There is one pulley that is indicated in the above table that I couldn't find a pic for... a late model auto transmissions, AJ case timed at 0-deg. Does anyone have a pulley with ONLY a TDC mark (dimple or notch)? I would think this could be easily confused with either the 36HP 10BTDC or the later 5ATDC single notch ones above.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: