Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump woes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack90210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump woes Reply with quote

Went out for a quick spin in my Thing and broke down. Diagnosed fuel pump (practically brand new) as defective. PO left me with a good-working spare.

Pulled the old pump and found that it had come apart internally. Further, the shaft that drives the pump had bent.

Bent shaft back to where I could get it out, installed old fuel pump with correct (different) shaft, and still no go. Had to tow home.

Question: What is the shaft driven off of, and is it possible that this got bunged up when the shaft bent?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a classic mismatch problem!

The shaft is driven off of the disributor drive gear. Those seldom have problems. Now a bent pushrod is not very common to see either. Especially if it's a German one, but new replacement ones I don't think are made of nearly the same strength of metal.

They usually don't get bent unless you use the wrong pushrod/pump combination. Pushrods come in two lengths, about 100mm (4" - originally for alternator engines) and about 108mm (4.25" - generator engines). If you use a long pushrod with the alternator pump, you usually destroy the pump and/or rod. If you use a generator pump with the short pushrod, then it'll just sit there and not pump at all. If you look at the pump, the style needing the longer rod has it's operating arm up inside a few millimeters. The style needing the short rod will have its operating arm protruding from the bottom slightly. Alternator pumps are angled over to clear the larger alternator, but in more recent years they have made generator-length-pushrod style pumps angled similarly so you can't go by that anymore.
-Andy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, oh, my.

glutamodo nailed it. Kudos!
Jack90210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I'll check it out.

Funny thing is that the car ran a few hundred miles before the pump failed, so I doubt that it had the wrong length pushrod to begin with. Hmm. Confused
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
If you use a generator pump with the short pushrod, then it'll just sit there and not pump at all.

I agree with everything else, but this one statement is not quite true. Frustratingly, a brand-new pump will move just enough fuel to make you think everything is OK, then when it breaks in (after a few hundred miles) it stops moving fuel.

Jack90210 wrote:
Funny thing is that the car ran a few hundred miles before the pump failed, so I doubt that it had the wrong length pushrod to begin with.

This also wouldn't surprise me. It's really easy to mismatch the pump and pushrod - and most combinations will work for a few weeks. The right combination will last even longer Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jack90210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time finding a replacement pushrod, does anyone have a good source?
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two available, a long one and a longer one Wink

There's only a little bit of difference. CP1 or jbugs or about anyone like that sells both.
Jack90210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
CP1 or jbugs or about anyone like that sells both.

Thanks, got one ordered up. Very Happy
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got home, looked at where I bought mine. They used to advertise on the Samba with banner lists:

www.bobcostaenterprises.com

Great to deal with, and quick too. Sorry to follow up so late.
Jack90210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no fuel. What are the chances that the camshaft is damaged?
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible, but doubtful.

Are you getting any fuel? If not, maybe you're using the right pump with the wrong shaft or vice versa.

Good luck!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check the cam function by taking the fuel pump off, leaving the bakelite base and fuel pump pushrod in place, and turning the engine over by hand while you watch if the rod goes up and down. You can have someone crank the engine over with the key too if you have a helper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: