Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

counter weights on cranks
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: counter weights on cranks Reply with quote

does anybody know if the companies are pre-heating crankshafts befor they weld the weights on??
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unlikely a preheating cycle, but tack welding at different points prior to finish welding I would think may put some preheat to offset stresses from cold shrink. If thats what your getting at.
GregZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to the original question, however I have a couple of questions myself:

How do they calculate the weight necessary for an effective counter weight.

What type of welding process is used, i.e. arc, submerged arc, mig, tig?

Sorry about the hijack...
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregZA wrote:
I don't know the answer to the original question, however I have a couple of questions myself:

That is a very interesting question. Who knows?

But adding counterweights do improve performance and longevity if properly balanced after.

The welding question is ..some companies actually do some pre-heating before full welding on the counterweights. I do not think they do post heating or heattreatment after.

The heat-affected-areas are on non-critical portions...outside of the rod journals and quite some distance. Unless you cook the hell out of it adding the counterweights with a TIG welder is a good question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earliest welded cwt cranks were developed by Bob Dickson out of San Diego in the late 60's and were originally sold thru Berg & Pauter. Being a pretty innovative engineer Bob developed his own formula for required amounts needed to offset rotating/reciprocating weights for use within a predetermined rpm range. It was initially designed for use in his super V programs and based on parts available for that time. The process was soon picked up by others and found a broader use in drag racing and offroad. All Berg & Pauter earlier versions were Tig welded, stress relieved & nitrided, no preheating was done, but stress relieve and nitriding operations, which are both heating cycles, were accomplished at completion as well as shotpeen and balancing. I have no idea if current manufactures use any type of formula for present day components.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregZA wrote:

Good question. As an example. It looks like that the weights DeMello puts on are much bigger weights on compared to China cranks or DPR crankshafts. DPR work looks much cleaner compared to DeMello`s, As long as they stay within factory tolerances it really does not matter how they look, but a little bit cleaner work on DeMellos side would not hurt either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: