Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Thing roll bar
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: '73 Thing roll bar Reply with quote

Do you guys know who can built a roll cage here in the San Bernardino, CA area. Or should I just buy the 6 point roll cage that the Thing Shop sales and have it welded and reinforced or you think just have somebody build it for me. So far a have a quote of $1400 for one, if I want it powder coated that is an additional $300 more

I am looking for something like these ones....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or this
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the top one might have been built at the Baja Shop. The tube at the top of the windshield it how they do every Thing cage I have seen come out of that place. It is also much more than just a roll cage, that one was a full tube chassis. It will cost much more than $1400.
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one I think suspensions unlimited did for 12 G's the second one is mine and I built it for me and the third one belongs to another customer who bought the car like that last year. 1400.00 is not going to get you any of the above cages . It will however get you a Thing Shop show bar. You can also try Jerry Penhall in Costa Mesa . I think there is a sand car show in Pomona coming up unless it all ready happened but you could try asking around there .All of the above cars were O.C. cars at one time.

John
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
I built it for me.

Nice work....I was always wondering. It has that Artist touch. What was your material cost? I'm a compulsive Artist myself. I do plan on my own design too.

You had a thread about your "hard top" build, Don't you John? I may be mistakin'

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go108 wrote:
surfarii wrote:
I built it for me.

Nice work....I was always wondering. It has that Artist touch. What was your material cost? I'm a compulsive Artist myself. I do plan on my own design too.

Thanks for the kind words . I built it before I sold my shop on the mainland so I just pulled material off the shelf. I never bothered to tally a material list but the cost of material is inconsequential compared to the the hours it would take to build it.

Quote:
You had a thread about your "hard top" build, Don't you John? I may be mistakin'

I don't think so. I might have commented on it a while back

Mahalo, John
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Thing roll bar Reply with quote

safari wrote:

That is a badass roll bar... Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: