Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Around the World in a 58 Panel
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked your website and it's amazing! Nice trip...

Any mechanical problems? Because you're doing a lot of miles...
good luck!
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised how updated is your site Shocked
The.Walrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can barely contain my jealousy. I really need to get off my keester...I've had all of those dreams. Same vehicles even, I love the 356.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olymale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumfuzzles, what a great time you are having and going to have. Sorry I did not hear of this sooner, would have loved to meet up with you as you traveled through the washington coast. We are leaving this next Sunday for a short 8 day Bus trip down the coast to the Redwoods pulling our teardrop. I will definately keep up with your writtings now. We will be taking our laptop and camera to do a small thread on our upcoming adventure on the road in our 65 splitty. Good driving to you both and enjoy the sites... Keith
SBS #76

58 ragtop bug
60 sc
65 splitty
67 Square Back
85 911 Carrera
http://community.webshots.com/user/olymale
bumfuzzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Yard Buses Reply with quote

Still cruising around in Alaska. The other day we were in Nenana, about 50 miles south of Fairbanks. We were staying at a little campground/rv park there and got to talking to the owner about the bus. He mentioned there was a bunch of buses in a yard just three blocks down the road. We walked down there not really expecting much but were surprised to find a whole bunch of splitties, a couple dc's, and a mess of bugs and bug parts.

We had the distinct feeling we were trespassing, and the rv park owner had said that the guy wasn't selling, so I only got a few pics of the buses and a quick peak inside of them. They seemed to be in really good shape to me, complete bodies, no cutting up, all the deck lids, doors, etc. etc. At least one bus looked like it could be driven out in a couple of hours. Complete engine, keys in the ignition, and a pretty good body. All in all I'd say there is some splitties worth saving in there.

Anyway, we drove north up the Dalton Highway to the end of the road at Deadhorse. The drive was really nice, lots of awesome scenery and caribou everywhere. When we came back south we decided to hit the same campground in Nenana and I figured maybe I'd try to find the owner. But when we got to town we found the whole place was underwater. The town is being flooded by the river running through it. We couldn't get anywhere near the campground and no doubt those buses have a couple feet of water sloshing around them right now too.

So here are the pics I do have. Nenana is a small town so five minutes of searching and you'll find the yard full of VW's. If it turns out the guy that owns them is a member on here or something just let me know and I'll take them down, otherwise go save a bus or two.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt about it,im jealous of you guys life,i read the writeup in the 356 registry too,best wishes on all your adventures-adam
Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the vws belong to volkswagon Carl, he has about 80 around Fairbanks/nenana. I have been trying to fly to nenana to look at the d/cs.looks like they are swimming tody....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bumfuzzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, figured they must belong to somebody that the group here would know. So I guess everybody should leave volkswagen Carl alone. Hope he didn't get too much flood water.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better yet...someone needs to rescue them. Very Happy
Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Carl today, he says no water on the vws Smile
Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two D/C are comeing to my house next week,I plan on a complete custom mod restore this winter,
bumfuzzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Alaska leg of the trip Reply with quote

Portland, OR, to Alaska, and back to Portland, OR on this last leg of the trip: 11475 miles, 67 days, three oil changes, one flat tire, hundreds of large animals, two safari window rock chips, three front end dented rock chips, dozens of friendly people, and 87 gallons of rain water mopped up off the dashboard.

The 2008 summer has been reported to be both the coldest and the wettest that Alaska has ever recorded. And we had the privelege of being there for it. Despite the rain though, this is an awesome trip, and well worth the effort for those in the lower 48.

As far as a bus drive goes I'd say it is about perfect. The roads are pretty good for the most part and better yet, there is nobody on them. Aside from the Kenai Peninsula we could drive on any highway in Alaska and stop pretty much right in the middle of the road at any time. At times there doesn't seem to be another person anywhere, and this was during the height of tourist season.

My favorite part of Alaska in a bus though, was the abundance of camping possibilities. You can camp anywhere. Our personal favorites turned out to be river beds. After crossing just about any bridge there would be a dirt road turnoff leading down to the rocky river flats where we could hang out, have a fire, and sleep in bug free peace.

Also, for anybody heading up that way I'd highly recommend the Dalton Highway drive to the Arctic Ocean. About 50/50 dirt/pavement the road goes through awesome scenery, is crowded with animals, and the notorious truck drivers are actually so nice they slow down for you so they don't "rock you".

Anyway, Alaska is great. Get up there.

As for us, we've returned to Portland for a few days to fix our brake light, get some bigger meats on the bus, do laundry, and head out again. Next stop for us is Panama City, Panama, where we are loading the bus up for a trip to South Africa. We should be there just in time for the dry season and the trip north.

www.bumfuzzle.com

We also put together a couple of videos driving around up there.
Dalton Highway - http://www.bumfuzzle.com/Pictures_VW/Videos/DaltonHighway.html

Dempster Highway - http://www.bumfuzzle.com/Pictures_VW/Videos/DempsterHighway.html
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaska leg of the trip Reply with quote

bumfuzzle wrote:
and 87 gallons of rain water mopped up off the dashboard.

i can empathize with you.

one of my only regrets was not having the time or $$ to drive the Dalton highway to the arctic ocean this summer. next time then.

congratulations on your safe journey home and thanks for the great videos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bumfuzzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Off to Panama Reply with quote

Hey Truckersmike, enjoyed your postings and glad you had a good time up in Alaska, despite the wet weather we both had. I can't believe we didn't cross paths.

We're heading out of Portland tomorrow and are going to head diagonally from here to Texas, looking to cruise along the east coast of Mexico this time down. From there we're continuing on through the rest of Central America to Panama. We've gotten a couple of quotes and are hoping that we'll finally nail down a plan to get ourselves over to South Africa around March. Whatever happens we're looking forward to more awesome weather and dirt roads.

Follow us along at www.bumfuzzle.com
Steve. H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is explained on your website, I looked but could not find it. How do you finance these trips?
bumfuzzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve. H wrote:
Maybe this is explained on your website, I looked but could not find it. How do you finance these trips?

Hey Steve,
Yes it's on the site somewhere since it is the most common question we've been asked over the years. Basic answer is work, save, invest, and then sell everything. In fact, everything we own would fit in our bus, everything. No house pmt., no cell phone, no cable, no insurance, nothing but us and the bus. That's how we do it.

Anyway, cruising across Utah right now, Zion park today. Taking it slow, but should be south of the border again in a couple of weeks on our way to Panama.

Later.
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zion and Arches were the highlight of our cross country trip a few years ago. I could have stayed at Zion for a week easy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bumfuzzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Back in Mexico Reply with quote

Been back in Mexico for the past week or so. Weather is great and there isn't a tourist to be found. Traveling down here during hurricane season is the way to go. We've just been camping at little hotels on our way down the Gulf Coast. They're all completely empty and just happy to have someone show up. Anyway, life is good as we continue our drive south towards Panama. Oh, did have a little run in with the cops the other day after I accidentally ran a red light. It's always fun playing with those guys. Since I actually did break the law this time I even let him get away with a little "fine" money.

www.bumfuzzle.com

UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumfuzzle wrote:
Basic answer is work, save, invest, and then sell everything.
Later.

i'm sure this is another common question and i don't mean to pry but what do you guys do for work?

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Back in Mexico Reply with quote

That pic is awesome, but where's the Corona?

63 Type 2 Standard Walk-thru
69 Ghia
68 912

Amateur Versus Rusty Bus!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: